Does the islamic state represent islam?

The islamic state does represent islam. IS practices islam in its purest form. Surah 9 aya 5 of the quran permits the killing of non muslims who do not convert to islam. Surah 9 aya 25 sanctions a jizya against non muslims and allows fighting against the ones who don't pay. Hadith allow the killing of apostates. All practiced by the Islamic State. The Islamic State represents the way islam was practiced from the time of muhammad through the time of the caliphs.

I wholeheartedly accept this debate from my friendly opponent. In this debate, I will be attempting to disprove the contention "Does the Islamic state represent Islam". In order to facilitate an on-topic flow of argument on such a topic, definitions are required to be given.

Islamic state - referring to the area in the middle east where Islam is the main religion / countries that follow Sharia law / countries that have a majority of Islamic principles

Islam (in the context of being represented) - The majority of people who follow Islam as a religion

I will allow my opponent to first post his main contentions, while also clarifying any definitions that are needed. I wish my opponent the best of luck and hope that we both can become more informed on this comprehensive topic.

I'm glad that you accepted my challenge friend and I wish you the best of luck!
The "Islamic State" that I am referring to is the formal name for ISIS- The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. ISIS is a militant group that has swept through Iraq and Syria and has gained followers not only from Iraq and Syria but from the United States and the United Kingdom. Now that I have given a little background on ISIS or the Islamic State, the real question is do they represent Islam. I believe they do. I have listed reference from the Quran itself that sanction ISIS' behavior.

You are correct, the militant group ISIS follows scripture from their holy book quite diligently, if not excessively so. It is a reasonable response to assume that ISIS represents the whole of Islam, however I will have to say that is incorrect. Islam is a modern religion that more than a billion people believe in. We are referring to the Quran as the scripture, and the following and their daily activities as the religion. I will admit that ISIS follows scripture laid out in the Quran almost to the letter, however they do not represent Islam as a religion.

Let me further explain what I mean. ISIS is to Islam as the Westboro Church is to Christianity. Modern Christianity is a relatively non-violent religion, however large groups of people perform violent acts while claiming they are representing their religion. This group includes abortion clinic bombers, psychopaths, those who partook in the crusades, etc. The violent group actually follows scripture from the bible that sets them off to commit these atrocities, the bible has extremely brutal text similar to the Quran, however most of the followers do not take these verses seriously. Compared to the 1.2 billion followers of Islam, the thousands (if not hundreds) of terrorists seem like the statistical outlier.

The following note is somewhat unrelated to the debate, however I believe it may help to paint a better picture of how severe our concern for the moderate muslims in this country really is.

According to reports from the Triangle Center on Terrorism and Homeland security and the Combating Terrorism Center at the U.S. Military Academy, there were only thirty-three incidents of lethal Muslim-American terrorism since 9/11; however there has been more than 200 Americans killed in political violence by white supremacists and other groups. (this does not include the past few weeks) According to a study conducted by Carnegie Mellon researchers, applicants who self-identify as Muslim are called back at a lower rate nationwide by prospective employers than Christians with the exact same names and qualifications, the issue being more prevalent in conservative states. Two percent of applicants who identify as Muslim were called back compared to the 17 percent who identify as Christian.

As you can see, the moderate Muslim in America is treated like they are represented by "the Islamic state", however the amount of damage they do to our country and civilians seems to greatly suggest otherwise.

Calling Islam a "modern religion" is a bold statement. Theocratic countries that are governed by sharia law such as Iran, United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia still sentence people to death for apostasy, hold public stonings for adultery, and (explicitly in UAE law) permits spousal abuse. While sharia law has not changed, these countries have heavily cut down on these barbaric practices to gain approval of the world. But these practices are not ultimately outlawed. The Islamic state follows the same law that these other sharia governed states follow but strictly enforces it.

You make a good point, Islam is quite an old and outdated religion, I merely meant the modern-day version of it and it's followers.

I concede that many of the countries where Sharia law is dominant, that havoc reigns. Sharia law, in most of its forms, is extremely violent and immoral. It is true that a large portion of Muslims live under these laws, however a large portion of Muslims are quite modernized and moral. The issue with Sharia law is that it is forcefully put into effect by a group of people, instead of the whole. If you had to vote on wearing a face covering all day and getting beaten without protection from the law, would you vote in favor? It is my job to prove that Islam, or a majority opinion by its believers, is not represented by the Islamic State. As you have stated in your definitions, the Islamic state is represented by the militant group ISIS, not the sharia law in certain countries. I will assume that was a separate point.

You have a good argument, however I urge you to refute my other contentions that I brought up in round two.

I was trying to lead up into the point that while sharia law in countries such as Saudi Arabia have not exactly been reformed or changed, the government just enforces it differently to make sure they are not branded by the rest of the world for practicing barbaric punishments that are spelled out in the Quran and Hadith. But the Islamic State does enforce these punishments such as, stoning, beheadings, the ultimatum for apostates, the chopping off of hands. The law has not changed nor can it change because the Quran, to Muslims, is a book that has spelled out not only unchangeable laws, but punishments too. Same with the Hadith.
The reason that Muslims are allowed to practice peacefully in the world is because of secularism. The United States is a country where the freedom of religion is guaranteed. If the United States was governed by Sharia Law then we would be in the same situation as Saudi Arabia and other Theocratic governments. Do we change the law or do we change the way we practice and enforce the law. All the Islamic State is doing is practicing the law the way it was written. Any country that claims Sharia Law as its law and tries to reform its law would be hypocritical to Islam. Sharia Law is law derived from the "perfect" Quran given by Allah. If a country is truly governed by Sharia Law than it will not prosecute a man for domestic abuse against his wife, will execute an apostate, will stone adulterers, will chop off the hand of a thief and will not allow non muslims to live in their country without paying a jizya( a high tax). The Islamic State practices all of these things.

You are obviously very educated on Islam, and I can respect that. The places that are governed by Sharia law do practice horrible punishments and have a barbaric legal system, that I do not deny. However, we are not discussing Sharia law. The contention that you must prove is that the Islamic state (which we earlier defined as the militant group ISIS) represents Islam as a whole.

Sharia law is simply one of the things that the Islamic state practices, how does it represent every Muslim? If a group of religious people practice a certain belief system but other members of the same religion denounce said belief system, why would you assume that all followers abide by such a system? The Quran and the Bible both have atrocities committed in their texts, like Mohammed marrying a seven year old girl and Yahweh flooding the entire world, killing everyone alive. In the Christian bible, god claimed that anybody who got a divorce should be stoned to death. However, we do not judge all Christians by these laws because they denounce them, Protestants believe that Jesus released us from the burden of the Old Testament laws. If Muslims living in industrialized countries no longer believe in that system, regardless of whether it was in their doctrine or not, why should we judge them any differently than we judge the many denominations of the Christian church?

I would like to remind you that you have not refuted my point in round two about most moderate Muslims being harmless, you have also not refuted my assertion that ISIS is merely a small sect out of the 1.2 billion practicing Muslims that are violent and is a number comparable to any other major religion.

Please remember that as pro, it is your job to prove that the Islamic state (which we earlier defined as ISIS) represents the whole of Islam. This is not a discussion about Sharia law.

By discussing sharia law and what it consists of i was providing foundation for my argument. Does the Islamic state represent all muslims? Of course not. Does the Islamic state represent islam in its purest form? I believe it does. The quran, according to muslims, is a book of everlasting and unchangable law. There are muslims who do not follow the quran as strictly as others, i guess we can refer to them as moderates. These moderates do outnumber the orthodox, some will refute this term, or fundamentalists. But to chose to follow pieces of a religion, especially islam, because it details every aspect of life for muslims, is wrong. But that is a separate issue. I should've clarified this is in my topic. I don't believe that a all muslims are pro Isis but I do believe Isis is pro islam and is the most potent form of islam.

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate, he has extensive knowledge on this topic and it shows in his arguments. It is a good topic and both sides have a lot of good points, however it is time to pick a side and vote. I will now make my closing remarks.

In this debate, we discussed many different arguments. The original resolution is "Does the Islamic state represent Islam?". In rounds one and two, we defined "Islamic State" as the militant group ISIS, and we defined Islam as the majority of people who follow the religion.

In my opponent's last contention, he gave a good argument and claimed that the Islamic state represents Islam in it's purest form. However we are not discussing whether the Islamic state represents Islam in it's purest form, in fact, in round two I conceded this point.

My opponent's last contention was off-topic and borderline irrelevant, regardless of it's accuracy. I have given many examples and sources about the majority of Muslims being peaceful and not a threat to us. I have pointed out that when compared to many major religions, their death toll is comparable. And I have pointed out that ISIS is a small sect out of the 1.2 billion practicing Muslims that is violent.

As pro, it was my opponents responsibility to prove that ISIS represents the majority of Muslims, however he mainly discussed the Quran and Sharia law instead of addressing the topic at hand. I believe my opponent did not effectively refute my arguments about the resolution but instead continued to stray off topic.

Thank you for reading, I urge a negative vote.
Posted by Stubborn_Intelect 1 year ago
My thoughts are that modern Islam, much like modern Christianity is much more 'moderate', which has changed over time to the evolving world. Isis represents a pure version of Islam while the rest of the world enjoys a moderate version of it. Who is to say that moderate Islam represents Islam??
Posted by dragonfire1414 2 years ago
Mussab, I am not islamic. I am merely an observer who performs research on things that interest me. I am quite confused why you are claiming obvious falsehoods about your own religion, however. The Quran has extremely violent verses and Sharia law is absolutely barbaric, a simple google search will provide hundreds of items of evidence for this. I find it interesting that you think i am unqualified and decided to challenge my opponent, but honestly I am not sure what point you are trying to make. Don't worry, I said some pretty stupid things when I was 15 too, look at my profile if you don't believe me.
Posted by Mussab 2 years ago
The guy in Con shouldn't be the Muslim (if I could call him a Muslim) to argue in this debate.
The Quran has no violent verses
Sharia doesn't permit killings based on religion
Sharia doesn't reign havoc as the "Muslim" said.
Saudi Arabia and UAE and the countries mentioned don't apply Sharia Law. Especially UAE which is the farthest from applying Sharia Law.
Posted by Raytrek 2 years ago
There is a Tenant in Islam that stipulates a person must do what is in the best interests of the community, so people who go out and make enemies then bring them to the gates of the community are in clear violation of this Law. This is exactly what ISIL is doing, no; they do not represent Islam.