Does the media negatively influence kids?

Con Tied Pro

There is alot of controversy over what kids should be allowed to watch. Hence the TV-ratings and the parental controls, but I think this is all pointless. There are so many people in our world today, and mostly everyone has a television. With all the dirty shows on TV, there would be even more criminals in our world today. Therefore all these extra precautions used to make kids 'protected from' the TV stuff is useless. I'll develop my case as the rounds go on.
Thanks to anyone who accepts this debate.

I would like to thank my opponent for what is sure to be an interesting debate.

Now, obviously, as my side of the resolution states, the media negatively impacts kids.

Take a look at Britney Spears! Lindsay Lohan! These are the women that our teenage girls want to look like. Drug use and eating disorders are seen frequently.

And what about all the young men out there that are fans of JackA**? They are trying these stunts for themselves! This is dangerous, reckless, and negative.

Actually, while it may be true that many teen girls idolize these people, they obviously do not copy them. How many teenage girls do you know of that shaved their head bald so they could be like Britney Spears? None. Teenage girls are more frequently engaging in drug use and eating disorders because of peer pressure, not celebrity idolization. If everyone else at school has curves except for them, then they would be prompted to get skinnier and thereby have eating disorders. Same with drug usage. The media has no influence on any of this.

As for the JackA** argument, I will use the old standby, "If your friend jumped off a cliff, would you jump off of it too?" Obviously, no.

I beg to differ. Many teeanage boys would jump off a cliff, if a bungee cord was attached. They would do just about anything if they saw it on JackA**. Look it up on youtube. Kids do this crap.
And the pressure from peers causing eating disorders and drug use is largely because peers want to look "perfect" like these celebrities.

No, they would jump off a cliff. But they would do it for the fun of it, not because they saw it on JackA**. And as I previously stated, none of these people even will ever meet these celebrites. Why bother looking like them? They bother to use eating disorders and drugs from bad peer influence, not celebrity influence. And why are celebrities considered perfect? They are just as human as we will ever be.

My opponent says "Why bother to look like celebrities if you'll never meet them?" Well, I recommend you ask some of the kids trying to look like them. The point is, kids are being negatively impacted. And My opponent admits boys would jump off a cliff for fun. Maybe not specifically because of JackA** but more than likely by something seen on the media at one point or another.

Thank you for this debate.
Posted by SheepyMilk 7 years ago

"How many teenage girls do you know of that shaved their head bald so they could be like Britney Spears?"
Most young girls follow the steps their role models or at least, something that they know is trendy. Britney Spears is the only celebrity I know who doesn't have cancer that shaved her head. Things such as anorexia is actually pretty popular in Europe because the brainwashed girls think that's the only way to look pretty because many famous models are anorexic. Anorexia is something that is extreme, dangerous AND trendy, which young girls don't realize right away. Also, if in the media had never shown or gave any information about specific types of drugs, barely anyone would have even known about them because it would have had influencers to manually tell the people. It is much easier to tell with media because it can reach out to millions of people in a heartbeat.

"As for the JackA** argument, I will use the old standby, 'If your friend jumped off a cliff, would you jump off of it too?' Obviously, no."
That sounds a bit too controversial. First of all, obviously you realize that there ARE people who do crazy things... for example, the casts in JackA**. Why wouldn't there be anyone that will follow them because we KNOW that there are people like them that want to try? Everyone is curious about certain things. That's why there are teenagers who smoked for their first time and now are addicted to cigarettes. So back to the "old standby", "If your friend jumped off a cliff, would you jump off of it too?" The answer is: possibly.

I'm not personally trying to defend MewxVenus but what you're saying sounds a bit unreal to me.
Posted by asiansarentnerdy 7 years ago
yeah, something like that. just basically anything negative, i guess.
Posted by EmyG 7 years ago
by choosing con, are you saying that the media has a positive effect? As in, because of media, there are more teen pregnancies and violence?
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 7 years ago
Of course the media doesn't have a negative effect. Except of course brainwashing the young to be liberals or conservatives depending on the station they watch.
Posted by asiansarentnerdy 7 years ago
ok sure I'd love to have this debate with you.
Posted by saamanthagrl 7 years ago
I'd love to be con
Vote Placed by Cobo 5 years ago
Vote Placed by Camuls 7 years ago