Does the practice of recognizing minorities as minorities up hold racism or social segregation?

My sister asked me this question last week and I have been pondering since then. I feel like recognizing minorities as minorities does up hold the little bit of racism that lingers in everyone. I feel as if it has a small affect on us in a way that we don't really notice. It's like when you and a groups of friends hang together often and there's that one quite person who you don't really pay attention to but when they're gone it makes a big difference. Or, when someone describes your character to you or another person in front of you and you think " wow! that sounds legit. I never recognized that about myself before."

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to debate this with you. Good luck

So to summarize what my opponent is arguing is that by recognizing that races are different in our society and that minorities face issues draws a border in between the races which furthers racism.

So to combat my opponents arguments I would like to remind people why they are addressed as minorities in the first place. They are addressed as minorities to bring light to the issues they face for being a member of a group they are in. Therefore, we call them minorities to show that they are disadvantaged and discriminated.

While for those who do not face racism it may draw some levels of borders by stating that the groups are different for those who do face problems of racism they are regarded as a minority so people recognize that they are different to bring attention to the issues they face.

If they are not regarded as minorities their issues are easily drowned out and left unheard of. Those issues include but are not limited to racial profiling, harmful stereotypes, economic and educational discrimination.

Without addressing them as minorities we don't see that their group as different with different issues and without doing that we can not address and solve those issues which they face.

As a step forward in society it would be appropriate to eliminate our old standards such addressing social groups as minorities which in a sense alienates them from the social majority. The term is appropriate while their problems are being resolved, but racism isn't as big a problem as it used to be. I think it is safe to act affirmatively, even if we don't agree, to get the job done. Latinos and those of African dissent can use the same institutions and facilities as Caucasians like public school but the level of diffusion, socially, is very low ( in public schools or areas where grouping is common). I think it Is because we still identify the that there is a difference. I agree with you that addressing minorities as minorities draws attention to the problems they face but simply putting a bracket around something doesn't fix those problems. We have to actually do something about those problems they face and that could begin with discontinuing our actions against them that make them minorities. It could be the way we speak to them. I watched a family friend of mine speak to a grown man of Hispanic dissent, who tended her garden, with great exaggeration as if he were a child. Again, my best friend once told me that she hates it when Joe( a fake name, I don't want to disclose his identity) cheats off of her. She would hate if he got a higher grade than her, she was born in the country and he wasn't. She continued to joke that he was probably an illegal immigrant. I couldn't believe people thought like that. We should promote equality by regarding them as equals by first, discontinuing our actions against them that alienate them and render them minorities, then stop recognizing them as so.

Ignoring the problem does not make it go away.

You have a very optimistic view of people and of the problem, and I like that. Unfortunately, your optimistic view of the world is not reality.

" racism isn't as big a problem as it used to be" While true that racism used to be a much larger problem than it is now it is still a serious problem, yet you don't seem to realize that.

1. Hate crimes are still real and a problem to this day. There was a fairly recent a racially based mass shooting, while an extreme example it's an important one.
2. Racist views against blacks. While white people hold the majority of these views it is important to know that not all whites are bad and most of them are not racists. However, many people still hold these views and that needs to change.
3. The justice department operates with racial profiling and this has been confirmed by previous police officers. This causes more arrests of blacks and less of other races which causes a never-ending cycle of racial profiling, for the more black arrests are made the more intensely they are profiled.

By addressing these groups as minorities we can see them as a group and the problems they have as a group which is critical for us to fix those problems.

You then talk about all these ways how we often view members of other races and ethnicity as inferior. You claim that this is because we view them as minorities.

So let me ask you this. If we stopped calling them minorities do you honestly think the problem would just go away? Do you honestly think if we say they are not in a different group people will start treating them like equals? Well I hate to break it to you, but that won't happen. The problem just isn't that simple.

There is a serious problem and us regarding them as minorities isn't the cause of the problem.

"We should promote equality by regarding them as equals by first" That's true, but regarding them as minorities does not refer to them as inferior.

They are seen as inferior and different because of a long history of racism and conflict between cultures, not because we call them minorities. Calling them minorities is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

ruthruthruthruth forfeited this round.

Unfortunetely Pro has forfeited the round. Extend all of my argments, Please vote con
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Cool, btw I have messaging open for a reason
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
Conf0uck u f0ggin v0tin on mi d@b8 ! IW0n F@gg0T