consulting_doc
AbandonedSpring

Does the universe include everything (pro), or does something outside the universe exist (con)?

consulting_doc

Con

Edwin Hubble (1929) discovered that the universe is expanding. The universe cannot create space in which to expand into therefore it should be finite , but it isn't. So that leaves me with a question... How can the universe expand into something that does not exist?

by the way... i will be checking for plagiarism in your work. If you copy and paste from any website your argument is automatically invalid
AbandonedSpring

Pro

This is interesting, so I accept!
consulting_doc

Con

The question of the size and age of the universe have existed for thousands of years. Edwin Hubble plotted redshift against relative distance, he found that the redshift of distant galaxies increased as a linear function of their distance. The only explanation for this observation is that the universe was expanding. So, restating my original question... How can the universe expand into something that does not exist?
information: http://skyserver.sdss.org...
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Alright, let's begin! Thanks for starting this debate!

I'd like to being that the universe should be compared to a balloon.

There similar in the sense that they started in a condensed state, but later expanded do to something. In a state of nothingness, there is not necessarily nothing, there is space! In the case of the balloon, the space is oxygen. The inside of the balloon is the observable universe. The outside it what we can't see. The empty space is more of a place holder for matter.
consulting_doc

Con

If the universe is a balloon as you have stated, will it not one day 'pop'? How does it 'blow up'? Your comparison/argument is invalid because a ballon uses external force. The balloon also expands into our space, it would not exist without us. So in every possible way besides the fact that a balloon expands and the universe expands your argument is completely useless. Also, space is something it is not nothing.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Heres the fun part! One day, it might pop! Whose to say it hasn't already! The part i'm getting at is that we can't see outside of our universe until it expands to that area. Also, Have you heard of the big bang? theoretically, this would be the 'external force' you claim my argument is invalid because I do not include. Space is something! I never argued the opposite. I said, even where there is nothing, there is something. The universe was condensed, and is still growing.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Okay then? In order for something to expand, there must be empty space for it to fill. All of space theoretically could already be there, it's the fact that the content of outer space is what's really moving. We see this evidence through red-shifts and blue-shifts. While yes space is still expanding, it's the content of space, the planets, stars, etc. that are doing all the real moving.

Thank you, I am finished.
Posted by Rubikx 2 years ago
Rubikx
I would like to point out that, like AbandonedSpring said, we cannot see the edge of the universe. The only evidence we have that the universe is expanding is the red/blue shift of planets and stars. However this doesn't necessarily mean space is expanding. Much like a bunch of pool balls in a pool. the balls can expand in the pool (i.e. get father apart), but the pool itself is not actually expanding it just appears that way because we can't see the edge of the pool. Just some food for thought.
Posted by MissAmazing 2 years ago
MissAmazing
From initial reading and prior knowledge, I understand that the
universe has expanded over time in a " < " shape. Expanded into what?
Well, from what I gather it's referred to as "Dark Energy" or "outside"
and not only is it growing in an ever-expanding trajectory, it is gaining momentum.
Of course that means there has to be a force.

I think this should be an argument for intelligent design if ever there was one.
An intelligent design that even knew from the beginning of time where a
particular star's path would be in the grand trajectory of things
and have it all worked out with a ruler taking census to record it
for all generations.
Posted by AbandonedSpring 2 years ago
AbandonedSpring
it's true, it really is impossible. it's really just speculation!
Posted by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Impossible to know, methinks.