jkeith
Hiskid

Does the way a person dress affect the way the world sees them?

jkeith

Pro

All in all, should the way a person dresses be taken in account on that person's respect level, the way society should treat that person, and how that person treats them-self. Does that way/style of dress the person uses affect the way the world sees them? I think yes. Think about it, a prostitute dresses one way and a female in corporate America dresses another way. Two totally different walks of life. I believe that the clothes on a person indicates the respect they have for themselves and for the people around them, because to me, clothing is one of the ultimate first impressions.
Hiskid

Con

(devil's advocate)

Sure, In a civilized, 1st world country the clothes you wear do indicate things about you. We have the freedom to express ourselves with our clothes. Consider, however, a situation in which the ONLY clothes who have just so happen to make you look like trash. In these cases, the clothes are being used for survival.

Therefor, it cannot be accepted that in all cases, you can judge the book by its cover sleeve.
jkeith

Pro

true, I do see your point that if all a person has is clothing that makes them look not the best, then it is necessary to wear them. But let's take the first world example, and how some women are saying that (I totally disagree with the males when they say women are 'asking for it') 'it shouldn't matter on what I am wearing, I should be respected anyway'. Yes, rape is unacceptable on any terms, but should that woman be respected even if she dresses non-respectable?
Hiskid

Con

"But let's take (a) first world example"

To my knowledge, the topic is "Does the way a person dress affect the way the world sees them?". Emphasis on the WORLD. This hints that there is some rubric for judgment that is global, and as we both agree with, is not true in select cases.

To answer your question, that woman has the choice to dress respectfully or not so. She can choose, she has the ability to choose. BUT, regardless of her choice, it is the duty of any person to be respectful, regardless of whether it is returned to you or not.
jkeith

Pro

jkeith forfeited this round.
Hiskid

Con

My argument stands.