Does "thin privilege" exist?

Welcome to the debate!

Pro-yes, thin privilege does exist (my opponent)
Con-no, thin privilege does not exist. (me)

Round 1 con: I explain the rules, which is what I am doing right now.
Round 1 pro: My opponent says something along the lines of "I accept the challenge"
Round 2 con: I start the argument with my view and why
Round 2 pro: My opponent states their side of the argument and why
Round 3 con: Rebuttal
Round 3 pro: Rebuttal

No cursing or name calling. This is a debate, not a fight, so please keep it formal.
You must site your sources if you are going to state facts, polls, and/or statistics.

Have fun!!

I accept the challenge. It should be an interesting one!

I do not think that thin privilege exists. As someone who used to struggle with an eating disorder, I thought that thin privilege existed and that is part of why I developed dangerous habits to get the "perfect" body. Yes, most supermodels are considered "thin" and the media definitely glorifies the idea of being skinny. In reality, many people who are attracted to girls seem to go for a rather "curvy" than "thin" figure, if anything. A poll shows that 71% of 1240 people prefer curvy over skinny girls. Most people are not skinny, they are of average size.

Being skinny leads to almost as many health issues as being fat does.

Some effects of being overweight include:
Heart disease
Gallbladder disease
Breathing problems

Some effects of being underweight include:
Weak immune system
Missing vitamins and minerals
Fertility issues
Low muscle mass
Irregular menstral cycle
Hair loss

Privilege: "a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others." [1]

I would argue that there are many benefits to being thin in this society. Most of those benefits deal with how society generally perceives thin people vs how they perceive overweight people. There are many negative stereotypes associated with being overweight. Poor hygiene, laziness, unattractiveness, etc. are traits often associated with overweight people. [2] Thin people don't have to worry about having these negative stereotypes associated with them simply for their size.

Society has a tendency to hold thin people in higher esteem. Looking at our media, the number of thin celebrities certainly out numbers the number of overweight celebrities. Overweight celebrities, more times than not, are put in more comedic roles. Their weight will often times come into play as punch lines. Rarely will you find them in "leading man/leading lady" type roles. The media has largely worked to reinforce those negative perceptions of overweight people in our society. [3] [4]

Now, how do these perceptions affect overweight people in their daily life? It hurts their chances of getting a job. Indeed, employers are less likely to hire an overweight person than they are a thin person. [5] Overweight children are more likely to be bullied growing up. [6] People generally find thin people to be more attractive than overweight people. [7] The negative treatment that overweight people face for their size is not something that thin people will face for having a skinny or athletic build.

So, what privileges do thin people have? Look above. They are more likely to be hired for a job, they are less likely to be bullied for their weight, they are more likely to be considered attractive by another person, etc. These are just some examples of the privileges that thin people have in this society.

leftwingandproud forfeited this round.

Unfortunately, much to my disappointment, Con has forfeited this round. Please vote Pro!
Posted by bballcrook21 4 months ago
No, thin privilege is just a concept made by fat f*cks to make it socially unacceptable to put their beluga whale selves down
Posted by 42lifeuniverseverything 4 months ago
What is the definition of "thin priviledge"? Do you mean white priviledge or priviledge based upon power, might, intelligence, etc.
Vote Placed by 42lifeuniverseverything 4 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con FF'd. Also sources to Pro because Con had sources like WebMD. While Pro had sources like UCon and Oxford, and merriam Webster. Because of the argument interruption, I do not feel it would be valid to vote on arguments. Great debate!