shakuntala
violetviolin

Does this poem capture the anguish of ageing

Started: 3/26/2014 Category: Arts

shakuntala

Pro

I argue this poem capture the anguish of aging-by Australias leading erotic poet colin leslie dean

http://www.scribd.com...

from preface
Preface
Quickly spring passes autumn winters are long flower blooms then faded becomes alone in scented rooms
petals weep no more the honey dew does seep
the bee to fresher blooms their company to keep
colors faded to pallid hues
withered wrinkled petals no one wants to view
in the night to pick no one comes to pluck
violetviolin

Con

As my opponent has not made any arguments, I will assume that this round was acceptance only, and look forward to hearing your arguments in the next round. I am fine with the comments section being used for clarifiaction on the debate, and if you would like to specify rules of the debate please do so in the comments section.
Thak you!!
shakuntala

Pro

I present this qoute to illustrate the anguish this poem shows
quote
"orchid flowers crusted with dew under moonlight sparkling pearls dangling off petals pinkish hue jasmine petals intricately laced cover window sills
branch dappled with moss thru window spreads in glassy pool lotus bloom float as o"er head orioles on leafy limbs to the moon sing peony flower wet with dew drips petals
faded beauty in chrysanthemum robes of silken yellow studies pallid face in mirror of silver bordered with simurghs face a drop of white snow does no more glow white finger her red carnelian lips do trace with no one to taste "neath skirt of sendal silk "
violetviolin

Con

violetviolin forfeited this round.
shakuntala

Pro

shakuntala forfeited this round.
violetviolin

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for posting this debate. I would also like to apologize for not posting my arguments until now. Because I am posting them so late in the round, I would like to open up discussion in the comments section, so that this debate remains fair.

1.) I would like to point out that my opponent provides no support or evidence as to how these quotes support the resolution. The resolution was: "Does this poem capture the anguish of ageing". My opponent shows quotes from the poem, yet does not connect them back to the resolution. If my opponent cannot explain how these quotes show suffering, then how can he expect us to look to this?

2.) My opponent has not proven, or even begun to show that anguish and aging are mutually inclusive. The statement that he makes, is based on the assumption that as you age, you will be in more anguish than you ever were when you were younger. This assumption is in no way backed up by logic or fact. Many people believe the exact opposite, showing that this statement is untrue. While often times, ageing may bring more physical pain, it may bring mental peace and security, as wisdom often accompanies age. The point here is that aging does not always bring anguish, and for my opponents argument to function, this would have to be true.
Posted by violetviolin 3 years ago
violetviolin
I would like to thank my opponent for posting this debate, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say on the topic.
Posted by Duncan 3 years ago
Duncan
SHAKUNTALA! How dare you return to this site to advertise again!? You were banned for this, remember?
Posted by CJKAllstar 3 years ago
CJKAllstar
I'm going to take a wild guess, that you are this "Colin Leslie Dean."