3095
emj32

Does using slang make personality very primitive?

emj32

3095

Pro

"Speech - image of the soul"

I am absolutely agree that slang does our speech very primitive. Imagine, the job interview. Leave a good impression for your employer is one of the important roles for getting the job. Agree, it would be good, if you were a pleasure to listen. Slang is can be disincentive for getting a job, and if you do not work, you will not have the money, if you do not have the money, so how are you going to provide the necessities of life? Slang is indicator of your mind. In every situation you will be have problems to express your opinion about something, even, for example, in a conversation you will can not tell the funny story that was happen with you recently, because your lexicon very poor and you will can restrict with some simple "filler words" for instance: gonna, dunno, u, er, actually, basically etc.
emj32

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate. I would like to ask my opponent to improve his grammar, because sometimes it was kind of difficult to understand what he was saying. I will start by refuting his arguments, then provide arguments of my own.

"I am absolutely agree that that slang does our speech very primitive"
I will reference this argument later. I will be arguing that slang terms enhance our speech.

"Slang can be disincentive for getting a job"
I think you're under the assumption that someone being interviewed would be using slang. Slang is situational. Normally an individual would use slang to more easily communicate with friends and family. When someone is talking to a person with a higher position, the person speaks with proper grammar. Just because someone uses slang, doesn't mean the person uses it in all situations.

"Slang is indicator of your mind. In every situation you will be have problems to express your opinion about something, even, for example, in a conversation you will can not tell the funny story that was happen with you recently, because your lexicon very poor"
You bring up the term "in every situation". Like I mentioned in your previous statement, a person isn't bound to using slang in every situation. A person is able to understand which situation slang would be acceptable, and which situations(such as a job interview) slang would not be appropriate for.

Arguments for Slang

1) Saves Time: If you're texting a person, and you want to type a word that is somewhat lengthy, slang would be able to reduce the time you take up typing the word. Additionally, when a person typing a long paragraph uses slang terms, it can definitely reduce the time needed. This can also apply to speaking to someone orally. Using slang can reduce the time it takes to communicate with. Also, a quick personal example, using quick slang in sports helps enhance efficiency. In basketball, the sport I play, using quick slang terms can help me communicate with my teammates what's going on. As long as both parties understand the slang terms and what context they're being used in, I don't see how slang can be detrimental.

2)Promotes Diversity: Whenever a slang term goes mainstream, people of all backgrounds will learn what it means. According to the author of the article "Slang? Maybe Not Such A Bad Thing"[1]

That’s because of where the slang is being used—in the cyberspace—it has more chances to reach acro
ss age groups, demographics, cultures, and societies. It can permeate. It can get picked up in the main
stream and suddenly, what was once a spelling mistake can now be overheard in conversations on the
street being held by parents, business professionals and even grandparents.

So what the author is saying is that when a slang term is being used, especially on the Internet, it has the ability to reach people of all backgrounds. In return, this helps people more efficiently communicate to all people, not just people of their demography.

Also, my opponent mentions slang makes our language more primitive. Actually, according to Katherine Barber, it enhances our culture. A top employee of the Oxford dictionary, she says

"If the kids are picking up new and new meanings then that means that they're playing with the language"

As is explained later, this leads to a more active role in language development.

I will now allow my opponent to construct his following arguments.
3095

Pro

Firstly, I want to thank my opponent for an interesting and detailed answer, also for the reference, I learned a lot from the article and comments.

My opponent have claimed that "Normally an individual would use slang to more easily communicate with friends and family". I see your point, but everyone knows that an individual spend a lot of time in an environ of friends and family, and this means that little by little slang take possesion of his native language. Eventually, slang turn into usage of life.

How could you not talk about " A person is able to understand which situation slang would be acceptable, and which situations (such as a job interview) slang would not be acceptable for", I think that even one single word he can still consume the same interview.

I would like to go back what I was saying earlier that " Slang is indicator of your mind" and add that Slang is a protective sheath for covering human illiteracy.

Let me summarize our position in this debate.
How I understand slang for you is useful for quick communication, but you forgot about native language. Using slang in text messages, further in a social networks and finally in a ordinary life can leads to a gradual destruction of the language. Especially slang is popular among young people and young people is our future. Youth should improve their native language, but how we can see they are worsen it. Because of, when you write with help slang you are distort original meaning and spelling of words. For supporting this argument I can share with my experience. I am from Kazakhstan and in our social networks most of people take the destination to write with English font but the Kazakh language and also thus shorten the words. For example: "kazir kelem" etc. In any way, slang affect the language, it leads to a lockup of human development and also the language.

Also, you said that slang "saves time". You resort to the easy way of communication, thinking that writing long it takes time, but did you think about raising the level of language can take much more time?
emj32

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for his response. Note my opponent says he is from Kazakhstan, which is probably the source of his errors in spelling/grammar. Personally I think he's doing a good job, I'd just like to clarify that for some of the viewers who might be wondering. Now to look into his arguments.

"Everyone knows that an individual spend a lot of time in an environ of friends and family, and this means that little by little slang take possession of his native language. Eventually, slang turn into usage of life."

Like I said in my previous round, slang is very situational. Just because a certain individual may use slang alot around his friends, doesn't mean he doesn't have the ability to use proper grammar around his boss or workers. Also, if your boss understands the slang you are using, and he sometimes uses it himself, what's the harm? I fail to see his argument of how slang takes possession of our native language.

" I think that even one single word he can still consume the same interview."

I'd like to apologize to my opponent, as I'm not sure why he is trying to argue in this statement. Like I mentioned in the introductory paragraph, him being from Kazakhstan can sometimes make it difficult for me to read.

"I would like to go back what I was saying earlier that " Slang is indicator of your mind" and add that Slang is a protective sheath for covering human illiteracy."

That's just simply not true. I'd like to quote the source I used in the last round. Katherine Barber, an adviser of the Oxford Dictionary, said about slang[1]

"If the kids are picking up new words and new meanings that means that they're playing with the language."

Mentioned later in the source, this doesn't lead to more human illiteracy, this leads to more language development.

"Using slang in text messages, further in a social networks and finally in a ordinary life can leads to a gradual destruction of the language. Especially slang is popular among young people and young people is our future. Youth should improve their native language, but how we can see they are worsen it. Because of, when you write with help slang you are distort original meaning and spelling of words. In any way, slang affect the language, it leads to a lockup of human development and also the language."

Once again, what my opponent has presented holds no factual evidence. A survey conducted by the Coventry University of England tested 88 school kids in literacy tests. The findings of the tests concluded that[2]

"No evidence of a relationship between frequently typing in textisms(slang) and diminished spelling ability"

"The more textisms(slang) students used, the higher they tended to score on measures of word-based learning and vocabulary"

"
The study found reading ability correlated more positively with sound-based textisms(slang)"

The reasons the survey came up with these statistics is because kids are more exposed to the words being substituted for. As explained better in the article[2]

"A factor behind the results might simply be the increased exposure to the printed word that text-messaging inspires. The fun and ease of the medium encourages extra language practice, especially by children whose skills are poor and who are otherwise discouraged from reading. Kids who obtained a mobile phone at an early age performed the best on the literacy tests."
The two studies show a clear correlation between more slang use leading to enhanced language comprehension and development. I will now await my opponent's response.

1 http://www.oxfordlearning.com...
2 http://www.csmonitor.com...
3095

Pro

I thank my opponent for giving an opportunity to continue the debates. For clarification, the fact that I am from Kazakhstan cannot be the source of my errors in grammar. Also, I thank my opponent for his efforts to prove his point of view with help sources but can you provide your statement with more compelling examples?

"I think that even one single word he can still consume the same interview".
I will try to make more easier for understanding this statement. You said that " slang is very situational" but it is not. For instance, an individual will not be so confident with his English in conversation with employer, because slang is can turn into a habit. He used to talk in slang with friends in real and "virtual" life and in a job interview he can say "see ya" instead "good bye". I will recommend read this article which confirmed my statement. http://digitaljournal.com...
And especially this part: "We want to make sure that our youngsters are not just leaving school with the necessary A to Cs in GCSEs but that they also have...employability skills. We know through...business partners...that when they are doing interviews with youngsters...they are also looking at how they conduct themselves...We want to make sure...they are confident in using standard English. Slang doesn't really give the right impression...Youngsters going to interviews for their first job need to make a good impression...When youngsters are talking together they use text speak and that's absolutely fine...but when you are getting prepared for life and going for interviews you need to be confident in using standard English."
Slang is like language, so it cannot be limited with acceptable and not acceptable situations. Slang can appear at any of the situations and an individual cannot hide it because how I said in the last round "Slang is usage of life".

"......... this leads to more language development"

Okay, but do not you think why an individual use slang in the real life? Because slang helps to hide the low level of the person and just helps be a part in the society of the young people. So why we should add the new language like the slang, when we have the native language.

Source

http://digitaljournal.com...

emj32

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for this response. I'll be going over my opponent's responses and refuting them.

"You said that " slang is very situational" but it is not. For instance, an individual will not be so confident with his English in conversation with employer, because slang is can turn into a habit. He used to talk in slang with friends in real and "virtual" life and in a job interview he can say "see ya" instead "good bye".

You'veprovided no evidence slang isn't situational. Myself, along with many employees I work with, are perfectly capable speaking proper English without any usage of slang. Also, even if he says "see ya" instead of "good bye", you've been incapable of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that would ultimately cost him the job. Most of your arguments have been unproven claims and assumptions.

"I will recommend read this article which confirmed my statement. http://digitaljournal.com......"

I've read your source, and there are many problems with it

1. The policy would be impossible to enforce. Even if the experiment would work, it would be impossible to credit the success to the policy.
2. The police doesn't differentiate between slang and dialect. The policy could have some unintended consequences.
3. The source uses no evidence or credible sources to prove why they think slang will be detrimental to finding a job
4. The source never even says if the policy works. It just outlines what the new policy will restrict. We've yet to know whether the ban on slang has actually even worked at that school.

"Slang is like language, so it cannot be limited with acceptable and not acceptable situations. Slang can appear at any of the situations and an individual cannot hide it because how I said in the last round "Slang is usage of life"."

You've provided no evidence that individuals cannot contain their usage of slang, and you've provided no evidence "Slang is usage of life." Like I mentioned before, Slang is the adaptation and expanding of language. I'm not sure what culture you are living in, but in the U.S. people are perfectly capable of using slang in certain situations.

"Because slang helps to hide the low level of the person and just helps be a part in the society of the young people. So why we should add the new language like the slang, when we have the native language."

You have, once again, provided no evidence that people who use slang have low levels of grammatical skills. If you read the source I had that outlined a study done by researchers at Coventry University in England, it actually shows that the more slang kids used, the kids had: a higher word-based vocabulary, a more artful way of looking at vocabulary, and a heightened awareness of letter patterns and sounds. Also, slang is part of the native language, its just an the expansion of it.

I now await my opponent's response.

3095

Pro

I thank my opponent for whole process of work, because it was really interesting debates.

In the end of our debates, I want to support all of my arguments with article about " How Slang Reflects and Affects Modern Society". http://voices.yahoo.com...

According to Maureen Rousseau, contributor writer: " Regional slang often stems from slang created by a particular cultural or socioeconomic group. African- American speech includes much of its own slang, and is most prevalent in urban areas. Despite the wide - spread impact that black linguistics
has had on modern colloquial speech, it is still looked down upon by many people. The use of "playa" and "bitch" to refer to friends or significant others is considered inappropriate in most situations for most social circles. Given the origin of these words ("playa" referring to a guy who "plays" several different girls at one time, and "bitch" taken from a derogatory name for prostitutes), it is easy to see why these words might not be widely accepted into other social circles. However, even words with far less offensive origins, like "holla," "bling," and "ride" are still seen as rebellious, uneducated and low-class."

In this part clearly seen that slang, in any way, is ugly to listen and it does not bring any improvements for your native language.

Also, look at this part of article: " Linguists Bethany Dumas and Jonathan Lighter are quick to stress the reasons why slang is considered an inferior form of speech in most setting; "It is markedly lower in prestige than Standard English, it tends to appear first in the language of groups with low status, who may have little power or responsibility it is often taboo and unlikely to be used by people of high status and it tends to displace conventional terms, either as shorthand or as a defense against perceptions associated with the conventional term.""
There are can proved that, how I said earlier that slang is indicator of your low-level of knowledge.
And the part of article about job: "
This is detrimental in the workplace for many. Two equally capable people may hold the same position, but if one speaks "properly" and professionally, and the other speaks in slang, it is considered that the latter employee is lazy, disrespectful and unintelligent. Often, these people will not even be hired. The "high status" and "low status" that Dumas and Lighter are speaking of are clearly highlighted in a case like this. Unfortunately, the speech of a person becomes associated with their status, gender and race, making prejudice and discrimination a common problem caused by slang usage."
I mention for my opponent that the whole article is credible and have sources.

Sources: http://voices.yahoo.com...
emj32

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for the response. This has been an interesting debate.

"The use of "playa" and "bitch" to refer to friends or significant others is considered inappropriate in most situations for most social circles. Given the origin of these words ("playa" referring to a guy who "plays" several different girls at one time, and "bitch" taken from a derogatory name for prostitutes), it is easy to see why these words might not be widely accepted into other social circles. However, even words with far less offensive origins, like "holla," "bling," and "ride" are still seen as rebellious, uneducated and low-class."

You've still provided absolutely no evidence that slang is unavoidable to use in formal occasions. All of your arguments are under the assumption this type of slang is being used in most, if not all, situations. Slang is very optional. It's mostly used around friends/family. When at a job, school, or a more formal occasion, most people are perfectly capable of speaking in proper English. Actually, to quote Michael Adams, a source from the article you linked

" Of course, not every situation calls for slang"

"Two equally capable people may hold the same position, but if one speaks "properly" and professionally, and the other speaks in slang, it is considered that the latter employee is lazy, disrespectful and unintelligent. Often, these people will not even be hired. The "high status" and "low status" that Dumas and Lighter are speaking of are clearly highlighted in a case like this. Unfortunately, the speech of a person becomes associated with their status, gender and race, making prejudice and discrimination a common problem caused by slang usage."

Not sure what evidence the writer of the article is using to link slang and "lazy, disrespectful and unintelligent" workers. The type of slang a worker uses is not indicative to their job performance. Once again, as I have been repeating throughout their entire debate, slang is very situational. Just because somebody speaks in slang with their friends, doesn't mean they will speak it at a job. Also, prejudice and discrimination is usually never just caused by slang alone. It's caused by long held irrational hate, misconceptions, and other elements.

Now the voters will decide who they thought won the debate. I once again thank my opponent for an engaging discussion of slang and its effect on language.

Posted by emj32 4 years ago
emj32
The source i referenced in my R1 argument is

[1] http://www.oxfordlearning.com...

This is my first debate, so i apoligize for the mistake.
Vote Placed by Like_a_Boss 4 years ago
Like_a_Boss
3095emj32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro does not associate slang with being primitive.
Vote Placed by cherrytree 4 years ago
cherrytree
3095emj32Tied
Reasons for voting decision: pro does not successfully equate slang with primitiveness..