Reece.Shelton
Scy

Does wearing school uniform affect a students behaviour? Is there a need for school uniform?

Scy

Reece.Shelton

Con

A student will remain the same person regardless whether they are wearing a shirt/blouse, tie and blazer with trousers/skirt and shoes or they are wearing a vest top/jumper/t-shirt and jeans with trainers. It is not this basic dress-code that affetcs their behaviour, because it is the student's principles that will determine their behaviour and overall success. If a student wants to learn, they will enter their school/college and will be determined to achieve the best grades they can attain regardless of what they are wearing because they want to be in education. If a student does not want to be at school, you can attempt to dress them in whatever uniform you want, if they do not want to be in the building, they will simply disengage themselves from the lessons. Therefore, why is there such a big fuss around uniform? Is it so vitally important?
Scy

Pro

I gladly accept your challenge.

I believe that uniforms affect the students' behavior and there is a need for it.

People will always tend to compare themselves to other people. In school, making students wear uniform can eliminate their tendency to compare their casual clothing with other students. Especially young students in middle school or high school they are more sensitive to their clothing, most of them try to be fashionable and they will always compare what they wear to what their friends wear. If young students stopped comparing their clothes, their school supplies and other things besides their studies then all students, since people always tend to compare, will start comparing their grades, their quizzes, and other things related to studies and those who are at the top will be proud and take confidence that they are intellectually superior and those at the bottom will most likely will strive harder since that's the only thing that matter to them since they don't have other stuff that they can compare to make themselves feel confident and feel above the superior students at a different aspect because they can only compare themselves in school stuff.

"People will always tend to compare themselves to other people". I got this from studying Jean Jaques Rousseau's Social Contract. It says that evil originally came from people comparing themselves to other people. For example, a superior intellectual being compares himself to someone inferior, he is most likely to feel pride, greed and sometimes an obsession to power. If an inferior person compares himself to a superior person, he is most likely to feel envy or hatred.

It's not like uniforms will solve everything, it's just that at least they can encourage the student to study more. And I think that encouraging students to study is vitally important to school and society.
Reece.Shelton

Con

Reece.Shelton forfeited this round.
Scy

Pro

I've been so excited since this is my first debate. It's really sad that the pro forfeited.
Reece.Shelton

Con

Reece.Shelton forfeited this round.
Scy

Pro

Scy forfeited this round.
Posted by shevlinmsc2014 3 years ago
shevlinmsc2014
I definitely agree with the pro side! good argument!!:)
Vote Placed by Thyanchor 3 years ago
Thyanchor
Reece.SheltonScyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Going into this debate, I did agree with Scy and he convinced me more on why I should believe him. He created more convincing arguments such as the "not comparing to others". I've honestly never heard of that argument before and I applaud him for it. However, there is one huge run-on in his second paragraph, starting from "If young students stopped...compare themselves in school stuff." Yea, it was pretty long. I hope that you had a great first debate, Scy! Good luck in many more. Now, onto Reece.Shelton. The reason that I did not vote for the con is because he seemed more as if he wanted to rant and then give up the round. I'm not sure if that was his intention, but it sure came off that way. However, I did give him points for better spelling and grammar. His points didn't convince me as much as the pro's. Pro's were more relatable. Now, for BOTH DEBATERS. Please, if you wish you move on your debating career (if you call it that), start to use sources. They are important. ~ThyAnchor