PawelK
MrFreeThinker

Does will be ethical to artificialy be means of genetic engineering to increase human IQ

PawelK

Pro

I have mixed feelings about this. Some people will case that it will deminish chance of people genius born this way. But I think it bring more good than harm. I wll glad to know you opinion about this.
MrFreeThinker

Con

Hello I will be the contender :)

I would like to start by saying as of now it is non-ethical due to the fact that there have been no long term experiments on subjects; testing if it will actually raise the IQ, what the long term pros/cons are, and how it might alter the thought process or the brains of human beings has not been worked out or observed. Long term experiments provide more insight into what the process might do to the individual during their lifetime.

Exhibit A: Cigarettes, when they first came out, were sold under the thought that they were healthy and helped people, although they never tested the long term effects. Fast forward many years and now we know they cause numerous health issues and are dangerous.

I used that example to show how something may seem good in the moment when not to much is known about it, but not observing what the long term effects are could lead to problems for the people who have had their minds genetically engineered. So as of now it is not ethical to start genetically engineering human minds due to the fact that not all the information is there to prove it will be good or bad for the individual.
PawelK

Pro

I agree with you but only partial, yes if cigarettes came into use were found to be beneficial for health (Sic1) What we know today as it was a big mistake.

But it was the same with other inventions, such as X-rays when the when the first X-ray tube was patented by Willhelm Roentgen, people were playing it during the show illusionist in circuses and other similar events. Rich people buy X-ray tubes for their families to show off in front of friends, well we all know how fun today with ionizing radiation may be over, but with time doctors discovered the use in medical diagnostics.

It was similar with aviation, air transport has considerably reduced travel time, but binds a risk of an aircraft accident.

Likewise, it may be the improvement of human mind and what goes with it an increase in IQ, there is no smoke without fire, every new invention brings with it some risk, but we can be sure that when we do not take this challenge we may one day be defeated by machines, by artificial Intelligence (AI)
MrFreeThinker

Con

MrFreeThinker forfeited this round.
PawelK

Pro

As I wrote before, every new invention carries some risk, but if our distant not to take these challenges, we were probably still in the Stone Age :-)

Also, do not forget about the artificial intelligence that may one day become smarter than humans.
MrFreeThinker

Con

MrFreeThinker forfeited this round.