hey_vicky
Kreakin

Does your brain determine who you are?

Kreakin

hey_vicky

Pro

Does your brain determine who you are?

Hello, I am Vicky and I am debating for the affirmative team.

I believe that your brain does determine who you are for several reasons.

Firstly, it is your brain which gives the command to move, to talk or to do anything. Your actions and your speech determine how other people see you, and who you are.

Secondly, without your brain you would not exist. If you can be your own person without your brain, you would be dead since your brain keeps your heart beating.

And finally, thinking determines you. Whether or not you agree, thoughts are what you believe, and your beliefs define you.

Therefore, in conclusion, your brain defines you.
Kreakin

Con

I except & thank you for an interesting topic.

I will counter that it is the environment that ,during sensitive developmental periods, shapes the components of the brain effecting who we are. The brain adapts to the environment so it is the environment that is causal.
hey_vicky

Pro

Yes, of course your environment shapes who you are. Not only will it affect you from past experiences, but you will always be influenced by surrounding opinions and, well, influences. However, I stand by my original argument that it does not define you. It might influence your opinions and such, but it will not make you who you are.

Therefore, once again, I believe that your brain, the processor of thought and etc. is what defines you.

(Thank you for replying to my opening statement )
Kreakin

Con

Resolution: Does your brain determine who you are?
My opponents opening argument for round two: "Yes, of course your environment shapes who you are".

I think that is game over with that concession!

Still, as I prepared for a biological V's behavioural debate I will state my argument.

I would like to use Borderline Personality Disorder as an example.

The evidence to date suggests that this is caused predominantly by environmental exposure as a child to sexual abuse. (1)
Whilst some say genetic vulnerabilities may exist these are unlikely to be causal I think. You could say the skin has a genetic predisposition to bleed if cut..

The point is that if the child is not exposed to the abusive environment the brain will not show expressions of BPD, it will go on to adapt to the environment, if that environment is healthy the personality will form normally, given a normal brain.

There are of course slight genetic differences to each brain that effect development making us unique but it is also because we all have different life experiences and the interpretations we make.

"Therefore, once again, I believe that your brain, the processor of thought and etc. is what defines you"
Like a computer the processing part of the brain is reliant on the data it is fed. The connections are formed from experience, in the environment. Therapies like CBT & DBT have been shown to change the chemistry of the brain (2) effecting problem behaviours and I would say effecting personality also.(3)

"It might influence your opinions and such, but it will not make you who you are".
I would disagree to quote (4)
."The effect of domestic violence, abuse,or maternal depression on the development of subsequent de-pression in children is significantly influenced by the attribu-tions children make for those events (e.g., Garber, Keiley, & Martin, 2002; Grych, Fincham, Jouriles, & McDonald, 2000).
When those events are packaged with negative self-attributions or self-blame, children later show a greater vulnerability to depression. Children who are faced with similar negative life events but who understand or explain them in different ways are not as vulnerable".

If this is the case then the environment directly effected the persons resilience to behaving in certain ways.

As the BOP is on Pro I would consider that even without the concession, that what I have put forwards is very strong grounds to doubt Pros resolution.

I hand the debate back to Pro to summarize their case.

(1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
(2) http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org...
(3) http://www.psychosocial.com...
(4) http://www.stanford.edu...
hey_vicky

Pro

hey_vicky forfeited this round.
Kreakin

Con

Argument extended.

i hope that all is well for my opponent.

Pleas vote Ff. Thanks.
Posted by abhisheksarin 2 years ago
abhisheksarin
But seeing brain games at nat geo channel I am quite bewildered knowing that even brain can be wrong and it also needs re evolution from its parental behaviour.
Posted by Kreakin 2 years ago
Kreakin
hey_vicky Please do not forfeit I was looking forwards to this debate.
Posted by abhisheksarin 2 years ago
abhisheksarin
Brain is the back bone of every living thing it is most important part of body it n8t only synchronise daily routine but also gives alarms at different situations in the benefit of that individual.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
schachdame
would have been more fun to see someone argue that good-old mystical "heart" defines who you are. But I guess it would have been categorized as "philosophical" instead then.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
hey_vickyKreakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit at a vital point... However to be very nice, going to go with con's unrefuted point that pro (intentionally or not) conceded.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
hey_vickyKreakinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture