Diabolostix
Yep

Dogs Are Better Than Cats

Yep

Diabolostix

Pro

This ought to be fun...
Rules:
first round is case, second round rebuttal, third round defense and conclusion (no new rebuttals)
............................................................................................................................
Point one: Dogs are capable of compassion, along with other traits
It is a well known fact that dogs love people. Cats, on the other hand are selfish (and haters), and couldn't care less about you, provided they get their cat food; which is arguably the only reason cats don't ditch you. Dogs, however, will not intentionally leave you. Dogs are faithful,compassionate and better than cats. Why do you think the dogs chase the cats?
Point two: Cats are heartless and hold grudges
for the first part(cats are heartless) my proof is with science. Since dogs are loving, compassionate, and benevolent, and cats are the opposite of dogs, cats are hateful, selfish, and malevolent. And since dogs have hearts, cats don't, for they are the opposite of dogs.
for the second part, I speak from personal experience. If you ever happen to step on a cat's tail, or forget to feed it, it will hate you and not trust you for the rest of its life.
that is why dogs are better than cats
http://www.animals-zone.com...
Yep

Con

I accept, Case-
Point 1- Hospitality- Invited guests are usually knocked over or slobbered over by a dog, the dog is essentially saying "pay attention to me!" Cats are not as demanding, they keep their distance and make sure the guest is friendly and would like to be with the cat.
Point 2- The Smell- "Honey, it smells like wet dog in here!" Theres nothing like the stench of a dog, the sheer smell has it's own name, we know it as the "dog smell". This smell can turn a sweet smelling room into a choking hazard. Many times dogs are not allowed indoors because of this! Cats however do not smell, in fact, they are hygienic! Cats self-groom themselves by licking making them pleasant to be around.
Point 3- Cats are far quieter than dogs- Fido just won't be quite sometimes, sometimes he just has to shout rambunctiously, whereas a cat does not, cats are actually quite quiet.
Point 4- Walking- Cats do not require walking, in fact they walk themselves, nor do they require a leash. Cats are not nearly as hefty of a burden as dogs.
Point 5-Cats take much better care of their equipment- A doggies chew toy can last a week, a cat's chew toy can last years. Why, because cats are not as aggressive as dogs, they treat their toys as they were meant to be treated. Cats keep their toys and treasure them, which makes the owner feel good as well (added bonus!) So no more having to go to a pet store and waste money!
Point 6- Cats use a litter box. You don't have to get up at 6am to walk them in all types of weather. They also do not take much training in using a litter box as kittens. You just sit them in the litter box and they know what to do.
Point 7-Cats are independent. You can leave a cat alone for a few days and they will not be traumatized. They can still be pet, and treated like mans best friend, but when your tired and don't feel like playing, your cat knows and will give you your space.
http://animal.discovery.com...
Diabolostix

Pro

I will refute my opponents case.
(These are his points)
P1: Dogs can be trained to not jump on people with a firm hand and a firm 'no'. Cats don't greet people because they are antisocial. No cats I know greet me when i am friendly and want to meet the cat
P2:Yes, dogs smell bad. but if they don't get soaking wet, they don't smell like "wet dog"
P3: Again, a dog can be trained out of barking and yelping obnoxiously. a well trained (or calm) dog doesn't even bark at strangers. And one could argue, a dog that barks is better than a quiet cat, because you can acknowledge that the dog is there, and not hiding under your bed, mooching off of your catfood supply
P4: Dogs needing to walk provides a source of exercise, when an otherwise motionless person could gain weight and lose their fitness and health
P5: How I keep my dog entertained-buy a coil of rope, cut some off and tie knots at both ends. a toy like this kept my dog entertained for over nine months(and counting)
P6: the problem with a litter box is that you have to empty it. this is a very menial household task, and i would say it smells worse than the "wet dog" smell mentioned in point two
P7: this contention only helps to prove my point specified in (my) point one; that cats are unfazed if you leave them, when a dog would miss you and show it's love for you.
(my side of argument)
Cats grooming, specified in my opponents P2, is a main cause of minor irritation and allergy that also makes people unable to stand cats. Not only are cats heartless, selfish, and downright mean, but they aren't even hypoallergenic.
Yep

Con

Alright lets begin! I will be attacking my opponents case then refuting arguments against my case
Pro Case- Point 1- Cats clearly do show compassion, as I've stated in my 7th point, a cat gives what every "mans best friend" does, but also has an "independence detector" one that knows when to leave you alone. My opponent basically says cats are quote "haters"? Where is the source for this? Where does it say anywhere cats are not faithful and are "haters"? Where do cats "ditch you"? A dog has a far higher chance of "ditching you" by running away. You never hear of cats running away, only dogs, and that is why dogs require a leash.
Point 2- Do i even need to disprove this? Judges you can clearly see how biased this argument is. (no source)
My Case now
Point1- Dogs can be trained, but cats don't need to and he quotes "cats don't greet people because they are antisocial" of course they aren't, they are smart, sociable creatures!
Point2-They don't smell like wet dog if they get soaked in water, hm lets think then. Let's look at this ironically and say, clearly they do, then look at it logically and still you say yes they do. It's a very unique smell.
Point3-Problem- Not all dogs can be trained and how long will it take to train them? (Cats don't need to be trained, Pro concedes this point) Extend the first 3 points please, especially point 3, cats are clearly quieter than dogs
Point4-How does this apply to cats? If pro is trying to get at something by saying they need exercise, it hasn't been shown. This argument is misunderstood, please extend it. Pro clearly just conceded cats don't need to be walked and it is more convenient.
Point5- 9 months, Look at the first speech for Con,Cats toys last years? That rope in 9 months will be string, if that's what you call rope. Extend my cost argument on point 5 as well
Point6- Menial house task to dump an odorless litterbox? litter neutralizes odor
Point7- Extend this, Pro just doesn't refute and tries to work around it
Thank you
Diabolostix

Pro

Defending my case
P1: I would start off by saying i need a better cat. all joking aside, dogs are better than cats because they ARE mans best friend (not just doing what mans best friend does) and they too have "independence detectors". Even if they didn't, dogs are not as infuriating as cats are, so it could slide. As to my hater saying, that was a joke to help show my stance on the matter. Also, if you've ever seen/heard the term "a stray cat" you can know that cats do indeed run away. I said dogs don't intentionally run away, they just get caught up in the moment of chasing the bird, or porcupine, etc.
P2: I do admit, the heartless remark may have been uncalled for, but cats DO hold grudges. If you step on a cat's tail once, it hates you for days. dogs are mad for a few moments, then forgive and forget

Defending my refutes

P1: I didn't say anything about the training of cats because i didn't know it was possible. As said in my evidence of first round,"have you ever seen a cat sit on command? roll over? play dead? neither have I. As for cats being smart? I couldn't agree.
P2:I said in my round "if they don't get soaking wet, they don't smell like 'wet dog' check if you don't believe me
P3:All dogs can be trained, it's to the degree of training that varies, and that varies depending on how loving you are to your dog.
P4: I'm saying a dog's need to be walked is beneficial to the owner, because they get exercise, while also strengthening your relationship with your dog
P5:The cost is slightly more for dog toys, but a dog chewing up toys doesn't prove cats are superior by any means
P6:Is something you consider a joy dropping cat feces into a trashcan? of course not.
P7:This helps to prove my first point. a cats lack of reaction shows it doesn't love you as much as a dog does.
Ps, sorry if my results got a little catty, i get serious over debate. sorry.
Yep

Con

Lets once again look at the pro case,
P1- "Dogs are better than cats because they are mans best friend" in her point 1 she concedes cats can be "mans best friend" on top of that, her only argument for dogs getting lost is cats do too, but once again nothing backs up this claim. Cats don't chase porcupines i believe, correct me if i'm wrong, and dogs do not have independence detectors (My Point 1- Hospitality proves this)
P2-She concedes this entire point to me, and then brings up the same argument that cats hate you forever, but wheres the source?
My Case-
P1- Extend, Cats don't need training for SIMPLE hospitality, thus hospitality favors cats (extend)
P2- Check? Check what? Wheres the source? My source defines all 7 of my points, in tab form. Yours doesn't prove dogs DON'T smell bad, (Wet dog) mine does. Thus you Negate (extend)
P3- quote "It's the degree of training that varies" but she conceded cats don't need to be trained in her refutation of my point 1, and then she brings compassion into the debate, but the compassion she talks of in her refutation of my P3 is from a human to an animal. Why can't we show compassion to cats? Extend please, pro never disproves cats are quieter.(Extend)
P4-Beneficial to the owner? I'm pretty sure a human being can walk by itself, and interaction with an animal, ANY domestic animal, will strengthen it's relationship with you, so that argument is invalid. (extend)
P5-According to my opponent- the cost is slightly more for dog toys (No source) and I don't prove cats are superior. However, Pro concedes three points from this 1) Cats cost less than dogs 2) Cats equipment lasts far longer and 3) Cats are superior, in both maintenance and cost.(Extend)
P6-Extend my last argument against her refutation of the litter box. LITTER is the word.
P7-Cat's lack of reaction? I don't understand how a cat knowing when or when not to show compassion is lacking reaction. (Extend)
Seriousness is good in a debate, Vote con based off the voters.
Posted by kyro90 2 years ago
kyro90
Lol, Devon why thank you for sparing my feelings. :) Cats FTW!
Posted by Yep 2 years ago
Yep
Umm judges please leave personnel preference out of your decision making, focus on the round instead (Devon)
Posted by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Con won the most arguments, leading me to give him the more convincing arguments. Pro says that dogs are capable of compassion, but Con shows that so are cats. Pro also makes the false assumption in his second argument (which turned out to be nothing more than a joke argument with nearly no substance) that cats are literally heartless creatures. This essentially means Pro only had one argument. Con, on the other hand, successfully proved that cats are less expensive, are not as noisy, are more mindful of guests, and are much cleaner than dogs are. Because Con provided better and more points, he essentially has won this debate.
Posted by Wallstreetatheist 2 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
Please use better organization
Posted by Yep 2 years ago
Yep
Sorry i am currently doing 6 things at once along with this debate, my minds not functioning. I blame the march/april ld topic, trying to write a K for neg is annoying >.<
Posted by Diabolostix 2 years ago
Diabolostix
why did you stop saying 'him' for 'her
Posted by Yep 2 years ago
Yep
Thanks! You too!
Posted by Diabolostix 2 years ago
Diabolostix
I look foreword to the round. Good luck!
Vote Placed by Zaradi 2 years ago
Zaradi
DiabolostixYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering DevonNetzley
Vote Placed by iPwnuNOW 2 years ago
iPwnuNOW
DiabolostixYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did indeed refute every point Pro instigated.
Vote Placed by DevonNetzley 2 years ago
DevonNetzley
DiabolostixYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: Dogs are way better than any cat. Besides i hate cats with a passion. Nothing against Kyro thats different. But on the side, don't bother me about my vote.
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 2 years ago
PeacefulChaos
DiabolostixYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 2 years ago
1dustpelt
DiabolostixYepTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con proves that cats are not "anti-social" and that hospitality favors cats. Con also proves that cats are more clean, and successfully rebutted Pro's argument that "Cats do not feel compassion"