Element96
Hushed

Dogs are Better than Cats

Element96

Element96

Pro

1) Dogs come when you call them - Cats come when they are good and ready

2) Dogs will bark to wake you up if the house is on fire - Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.

3) Dogs will play with you all afternoon - Cats sleep all day

4) Dogs will greet you when you come home - Cats just continue their day

5) Dogs will obey you - Cats will smirk and walk away

6) Dogs will tilt their heads and listen whenever you talk - Cats will yawn and close their eyes.

From: http://media.www.cm-life.com...

DID YOU KNOW dogs were the first domesticated animal? Let's stick with what we know! I don't see why we have to break from tradition. Cats are new and scary, and I'm afraid of change.

THEY SAY cats are better than dogs because cats are supposedly the more "intelligent" animal. Why is this? Because they hide behind furniture? Because they can poop in a box? Because they proudly and frequently show off their buttholes? If humans were called "intelligent" for doing these things, then I'd be president of MENSA. And probably NASA. And RUSSIA.

Vote PRO! Dogs are better than Cats! whoot!:]]
Hushed

Con

Thanks for the debate Element96.

As a main overview of my opponents case he proposes that all dogs, and all cats have the same characteristics, and uses quite stereotypical characteristics of each animal. The pro must prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that dogs are better. I can prove that cats are better, or that dogs and cats are of equal value.

I first propose that they are of equal value, as we can't lump species together, and compare them. It is debating Apples and Oranges. It simply can't be done, thus we can view cats and dogs as having equal value.

If you don't buy that I can still prove under the Pros case that cats are better in every case, when we take a closer look at it. Lets begin.
<< 1) Dogs come when you call them - Cats come when they are good and ready >>
This assumes that all dogs are obedient, and all cats are disobedient. We can't view this topic through stereotypical animals though.

<< 2) Dogs will bark to wake you up if the house is on fire - Cats will quietly sneak out the back door. >>
This may be a benefit if your house is actually on fire, which doesn't happen often. You also have the con of a dog barking when there isn't a fire, and still waking you up. And this happens a lot more often than a dog barking when your house is on fire. Cats are obviously less annoying, and allow you to have more sleep.

<< 3) Dogs will play with you all afternoon - Cats sleep all day >>
Dogs require you to play with them in order to be healthy. This requires extra commitment on your part to ensure your dog is in good health, as a dog does not run laps around the neighborhood in order to stay fit. This requires extra daily commitment. Cats will often play with you as well, perhaps not the stereotypical Garflied, but we can safely say that cats do enjoy playing. In addition to this cats can exercise on their own, and don't require you to exercise with them. Also, the way this is phrased portrays dogs as toys, when they are actually living beings.

<< 4) Dogs will greet you when you come home - Cats just continue their day >>
I have never had a dog say "hello" when I walk in the door. Nor have I ever seen a cat do this. On a more serious note dogs will jump up on you, slobber on you, bark, run around the house, and get rather annoying when you enter the house, which is a general con to being greeted. Yet, again this is non-unique since cats often do greet you when you come inside.

<< 5) Dogs will obey you - Cats will smirk and walk away >>
This assumes that all dogs are obedient by nature, and all cats are disobedient. Yet, The Dog Whisperer exists solely because of disobedient dogs, so we can't say dogs will obey you. This is a moot point.

<< 6) Dogs will tilt their heads and listen whenever you talk - Cats will yawn and close their eyes. >>
First off we don't really know whether dogs are listening or not, and we don't know if cats are listening or not. This is also a moot point.

<>
New and scary doesn't mean that dogs are better. Plus, AnimalDiscovery.com says that cats are: "incredibly resourceful and self-reliant, the species has survived thousands of years in radically different environments and living conditions. Even domestic cats show a crafty, strong-willed and versatile nature." This means that while they are new to domestication, they have been living independently for much longer.

Ill cover the intelligence argument in my first contention.

Onto my case.
1) Cats are substantially smarter than dogs. Tuft's University School of Veterinary Medicine researchers say "the physical structure of our brain and that of cats are very similar: they have the same lobes in the cerebral cortex (the seat of intelligence) as we do. Our brains function the same way, conveying data via identical neurotransmitters."

says Dr. Julia Albright of Cornell's Veterinary School says "The fact that a cat can adapt to different situations is a sign of intelligence, that goes beyond conditioning or instinct,"

2) Cats require less commitment.
Comparing cats and dogs we can view a few different things:
A) Cats pee and poop in a litter box, Dogs poop and pee in the house, or in someones yard, which forces you to clean it up all over the place.
B) Cats can exercise themselves, and walk themselves. Dogs require you to walk them around.

To summarize - You can vote con for three reasons.
1) Under the overview the con proposes that they are of equal value, as we can't compare two different things. This gives you reason because we are showing that dogs are not better than cats, but that they are equal in value.
2) All of the Pros points revolve around unproven stereotypes. In addition to this I provide a cat benefit, and a dog con to each one, or make the point moot, or non-unique to the Pro side. This makes the Pros offense nonexistent.
3) I provide offense through showing that cats are smarter, and require less commitment. This shows that they are in fact better then dogs.

Vote con!
Element96

Pro

1) I agree with the statement you have made through my first argument that we can't view this topic through stereotypical animals.

2) Dogs can and most likely will bark in these situations to help you, which could happen often, and does throughout the world everyday: Fires, robbers, when someone is falling, and many other situations that are harmful, and they will save your life. -When you say that cats are "obviously less annoying", I will have to disagree. In fact, they are more annoying because
they can jump on the counter to steal your food
Their meowing doesn't catch any bodies attention, so even if they were trying to save your life, they couldn't. And they would help themselves.
As as for cats "allow you to have more sleep", dogs allow you to have the same amount of sleep- so that argument isn't a very good one.

3) You said "Dogs require you to play with them in order to be healthy. This requires extra commitment on your part to ensure your dog is in good health, as a dog does not run laps around the neighborhood in order to stay fit. This requires extra daily commitment."
Dogs teach responsibility, and keep you healthy also. It doesn't matter if they require "extra commitment" in fact it's better if you work out with your dog because:
Your bonding
You are staying healthy
You are having fun
You are getting up and out of the house
Your dog becomes more loyal and respectful
Your dog loves it, and in turn loves you more
"Dogs are mans best friend."

You say that cats are playful? this may be true...with a ball of string and maybe some catnip.
I rest may case on the fact that dogs keep you healthy when you keep them healthy.

4) Obviously you know what I mean when I say "greet you".
You are straying away from the serious of the debate, and becoming hypocritical when you say: "dogs will jump up on you, slobber on you, bark, run around the house, and get rather annoying when you enter the house, which is a general con to being greeted". This is stereotypical. But, if a dog were to do this, I would feel welcomed and happy, and I'm sure everyone else would feel welcomed and happy too, if they knew that they were being missed while they were gone. when you say "this is non-unique since cats often do greet you when n you some inside." I have never had a cat greet me when I arrive home. EVER.

I rest my case on the fact that dogs love, miss, and respect you. and are obviously happy when you enter the door, and on the other hand cats...don't.

5) I said earlier that Dogs teach you responsibility, so you have to teach them to respect you. and obey you. It is 10x harder to teach a cat tricks than to teach a dog tricks. And it has been scientifically proved At research at Vienna University: that dogs DO listen, because they obey you when you command a demand.

6) I will rest my case on the facts I have presented on question #5.

I will begin conveying research to prove that yours is wrong.

1) you said that "Cats are substantially smarter than dogs". I have research suggesting the opposite, as said online at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

Dogs are the 8th smartest animal, chimps being #1. "Research suggests they can at least find food in response to non-verbal cues, a type of understanding that scientists think may be akin to the human ability to understand someone else's point of view"

I also have articles from department of Psychology, Columbia University: http://blog.modernmechanix.com...
Stating "Are cats as smart as dogs? Judging from the experimental evidence so far secured, the answer is an emphatic "No." In many scientific tests the dog has proved his superior intelligence. And if the question were put to a popular vote, there is small doubt that the dog would score an overwhelming victory."

2)
A. Cat's can also poop and pee in a house, and someone's yard which forces you clean to clean it up. Also, you have to clean their litterbox everyday, so this a "moot argument".
B. it doesn't matter if they require you to "walk them around" because of these reasons. I have stated before that: Dogs teach responsibility, and keep you healthy also. It doesn't matter if they require "extra commitment" in fact it's better if you work out with your dog because:
Your bonding
You are staying healthy
You are having fun
You are getting up and out of the house
"Dogs are mans best friend."

I would like to introduce some new arguments:

1) Cats are carriers of the following diseases:
Abscesses
Allergic Dermatitis
Anal Gland Disease
Cat Scratch Disease / Cat Scratch Fever
Cardiomyopathy
Cataracts
Coccidiosis
Congestive Heart Failure
Conjunctivitis
Constipation
Corneal Injuries
Dental Disease
Diabetes
Ear Hematoma
Ear Mites
Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex
External Parasites
Feline Acne
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV or Feline AIDS)
Toxoplasmosis
Upper Respiratory Infection (URI)
Pyometra
Pyoderma
Protozoan Diarrhea
and many other diseases that can result frequent hospital stays for your pet (which in turn can cost more in your pocket) and most of these will result in death or serious damages.
SOURCE: https://www.thepetmedsite.com...

2) some awesome quotes from awesome people:

.There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
.The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
.From the dog's point of view, his master is an elongated and abnormally cunning dog. ~Mabel Louise Robinson
.Dogs are miracles with paws. ~Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy
.Man is a dog's idea of what God should be. ~Holbrook Jackson
.Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull
.Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones
.Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. ~Agnes Repplier
.I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth
.Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

and my favorite (because it goes along with one of the constant arguments in this debate:
.If your dog is fat, you're not getting enough exercise. ~Author Unknown
Hushed

Con

Im going to go line-by-line, Negative Case, then Affirmative.

We both agree that we can't look at stereotypical dogs, and stereotypical cats. This gives you a link to my first extension: The negative can view dogs and cats as equals, or as incomparable and it would give you reason enough to vote negative. They are equal in the sense that you are unable to compare them, thus they have equal value. They are incomparable in the fact that it is akin to trying to say that Pepsi is better then shoes, it simply can't be done. The affirmative has to prove that dogs are better in value then cats, and since the negative shows that they are incomparable the affirmative hasn't met their burden of showing that Dogs are better then cats. This right here is the first reason to vote negative in this round.

1) I state that Cats are smarter than dogs, and offer you some evidence. Heres the link, since I didn't provide it last speech: http://ezinearticles.com...

<< I have research suggesting the opposite, as said online at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com...... >>
This article doesn't compare dogs and cats, infact it compares ten animals to humans. The tag of this article is "How do humans compare to other intelligent creatures?", and the first page of this article clearly states that. This doesn't show that dogs are smarter in any sense, just that dogs have similar properties to humans.

<< I also have articles from department of Psychology, Columbia University: http://blog.modernmechanix.com...... . . .>>

This is a newspaper clipping from the 1930 on a scientific subject, right. The clipping even says a few times that its not for sure, and that they need more results to be proven correctly. " The cat may not be interested in jumping through a hoop to please the teacher. On the other hand, it simply may not be smart enough. The present experiments at Columbia may furnish a definite answer." I can concede that the evidence may prove that using 30's science technology they determined that dogs were more cooperative than cats, but not smarter.

Extend this contention that cats are smarter than dogs.

2) I claim that cats require less commitment.
Under subpoint A I say that dogs require more 'mess-cleanup'. Under numerous conditions cats have been taught how to use the toilet, which reduces the mess. Cats usually roam the neighborhood without a leash, and without their master. Thus, you never know when the cat poops in your neighbors yard! Cat poop is also smaller in size, which decreases the mess physically as well. You may need to clean out the litterbox but its alot easier cleaning out a litterbox than it is to clean up a backyard, or clean it off of a carpet. This argument dealt that they require less commitment than dogs, not that they require no commitment. Because of this subpoint A still stands, since there is less cleanup associated with having a cat, rather than having a dog.

Under subpoint B my opponent concedes that dogs require more commitment, but then goes on to say that a person benefits from this commitment. This subpoint B still stands because dogs still require more commitment. It stands, and the benefits fall too:
<>
All of these are subjective, and not necessarily true. You may not have fun, your dog may not love it, your dog may not become more loyal, and you may not be staying healthy.

<>
I fail to see how these are benefits to extra commitments.

Even if you still think that the benefits are functional the harms that come with having more commitment outweigh on the benefits that you gain from having a committed pet.

Extend my second contention that says they require more commitment, as well as subpoints A, and B.

Onto my opponents case:

<< 2) Dogs can and most likely will bark in these situations to help you, which could happen often, and does throughout the world everyday: >>
Dogs can also bark in situation which do not help you. A dog barks more times than there is an emergency, and thus they are more annoying. The pro even says that cats meowing doesn't catch anyone's attention, and thus cats don't suffer from audible annoyance. The pro says that cats can jump on your counter and steal your food, but dogs can too.
<< As as for cats "allow you to have more sleep", dogs allow you to have the same amount of sleep >>
We have concluded that dogs bark, and that cats meowing doesn't catch anyone's attention. Dogs audible barking will cause you to have less sleep overtime.

The third point we already talked about, see where I talk about 2B above. Yet, I will cover this point now.
<< You say that cats are playful? this may be true...with a ball of string and maybe some catnip. >>
Yes, which means that cats are also playful, just like dogs.

Onto four about greeting. I knew what you meant, was just trying to lighten things up. The stereotypical dog, and stereotypical cats may follow these routines, yet we agreed not to look at stereotypes. This argument falls because of the stereotype observation we agreed on.

My opponent also introduced two new arguments:
<>
I don't feel listing problems makes dogs better, as it works both ways. Here are the top twenty dog health problems :
Ear Infection, Chronic Kidney Failure, Skin Allergy, Laceration, Skin Infection, Hip Dysplasia Cancer/ Tumors, Pancreatitis, Urinary Infection, Diabetes, Arthritis,Obesity, Dental Disease, Food Allergy, Gastroenteritis, Epilepsy, Stomach Inflammation, Kennel Cough, Congestive Heart Failure, Hypothyroidism.
Health problems go both ways, and I don't see how listing problems makes dogs better than cats.

<>
People may feel passionately about dogs, but popular opinion doesn't make something better. Even so, this doesn't even prove popular opinion, but the fact that some people love dogs.

Been a good round so far!
Element96

Pro

ugh, whatever, I don't really care anymore. I have better stuff to do then to debate about cats and dogs, and who is better than the other. I actually love both of them, and I'm petting a kitten in my lap right now. I believe we have both good arguments.
thanks for the debate!
It's up to the voters now :D
Hushed

Con

Thanks for the debate!

To sum up for the voters, vote con for three reasons:
1) You can vote con if you believe that you can't compare dogs and cats in value. Furthermore we agreed to not view the debate with stereotypical dogs, and cats: which makes it harder for pro to prove their burden since dogs have different personalities, and its mostly subjective unless its true for the whole species. The fact that you can't compare goes uncontested throughout the round, and should be the first reason you vote con.
2) If you don't buy my first voting issue then you can vote con because I systematically dismantled the points in my opponents case, either by proving it was a stereotype, proving it false, or using logic to debunk it. Since the pro doesn't successfully extend arguments that prove dogs are better than cats you can vote con becuase there is insufficient offense coming off the pro. This is the second reason to vote con
3) Even if you do think that all the pro's points still stand, you can still look to the con case. In it I prove that cats are better in intelligence, and this doesn't deal with stereotypes since it applies to the whole species. I also prove that dogs require more commitment, which makes cats more valuable since they require less commitment. This proves that cats are in fact better than dogs.

Vote con!
*I'm actually allergic to cats, and I love dogs so much! Thanks for the debate!
Posted by babytex 8 years ago
babytex
yeah

i think they are both great.

i
Vote Placed by theosyslack 8 years ago
theosyslack
Element96HushedTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Element96HushedTied
Vote Placed by Hushed 8 years ago
Hushed
Element96HushedTied
Vote Placed by Bellalouise 8 years ago
Bellalouise
Element96HushedTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
Element96HushedTied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
Element96HushedTied