BoggleBros37
SJM

Dogs are better at pets than Cats

BoggleBros37

BoggleBros37

Pro

Round 1) - Accept
Round 2) - Opening Argument
Round 3 to 5) - Rebuttal

Dogs are much better pets than cats. I like and have both and love them very much but if i had to choose which one was better at being a pet than I'd choose Dogs
SJM

Con

Nah cats are better.
BoggleBros37

Pro

BoggleBros37 forfeited this round.
SJM

Con

I will keep this really short since my opponent forfeited, cats have smaller carbon prints because dogs eat more meat which is impacting if you don't like prints everywhere.
And cats eat more cleanly than dogs. "Dogs smash their tongues into the water's surface with a force up to eight times that of gravity, splashing and causing a mass. But cats delicately dip their tongues into the water with a force up to twice that of gravity, neatly pulling up a column of liquid to swallow."

Source- http://www.businessinsider.com...
BoggleBros37

Pro

hahaha, really?

A pilot study of 95 people, found that dog owners laughed significantly more frequently than cat owners. Cats might even be a drag, even participants without pets reported laughing more than those who just owned cats.

Dogs have an excellent sense of smell, this is why they are used by military to sniff out bombs, used by airports to sniff out drugs being smuggled, used by blind people to lead the way and also used by police officers to sniff out and track down criminals, dogs are pretty much like 4 legged super heroes. They also listen to you, you can train them to accept commands like sit, roll over, bark and more. Dogs have a sixth sense, Seizure Alert Dogs have the innate ability to detect if someone is about have a seizure. The dog will warn the victim using "attention-getting behaviors such as whining, pawing, or anxious barking" anywhere from "15 to 12 hours before the attack," according to National Geographic. The dogs can even be trained to hit a button on the phone that calls 911. Try getting your cat to use speed dial.
Dogs are awesome!

[SOURCES]
http://www.businessinsider.com.au...
SJM

Con

My opponent"s first evidence is flawed because is doesn"t in anyway show that the laughing occurred because of the dogs, because if not then that point is useless. Also laughing doesn"t always suggest someone is happy because they could be fake laughing, for example when someone tells you a joke and you laugh so they won"t be embarrassed you didn"t find it funny. And lastly I question how they conducted this study without being with each owner for a large amount of time, and having a significant sample pool, which my opponent does not provide.

Next, it"s not like a superhero to be able to sniff out things with somewhat an odor that is not that miniscule, it is a really lame super power if someone dares to consider it as one. Not only that but cats are actually better at smelling than dogs "Cats even beat dogs in smell. While certain breeds of dogs, like bloodhounds, have up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses, most breeds have far fewer. The average cat sports approximately 200 million olfactory receptors, much more than the average dog. Then my opponent makes a weird that remark that dogs can be trained, as if cats couldn"t be trained either. It"s as if never heard of someone who is able to train their cat to use a litter box, in fact they could learn "dog" tricks. "And believe it or not, you can even train your cat to perform some "dog like" tricks if you want. You can train your cat to sit on command, or to walk on a leash." My opponent later on says that dogs can sense seizures 15 to 12 hours before by whining, and barking, but what good does that do? They could be barking or whining about anything, and would only be effective if every time a dog barked or whined, the owner went to the doctor. Lastly my opponent says that cats can"t 911, but I found evidence easily which indicates his lack of research, showing stories of cats calling 911, Tommy, an orange and tan cat, managed to hit the speed dial for 911 when his owner, Gary Rosheisen, fell from his wheelchair. "He"s my hero," Rosheisen said. A police officer called it "kind of weird." Columbus, Ohio, December 2005. Everything I provided refuted all of his arguments and even took them to my side.

Now I find nothing cooler than having a pet that could ACTUALLY prolong your life, which cats do by reducing someone"s risk of heart disease. A study I will provide the link to shows how accurate it was and is reliable coming from a scientific journal.

And if are talking about real superpowers, how about being able to see in the dark? "Cats can see in light levels six times lower than humans can. Dogs have decent night vision, too, but still nip at cats' hindlegs. They can see in light five times as dim."

Sources - http://www.realclearscience.com...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
https://www.lovethatpet.com...
BoggleBros37

Pro

Con gives good points, however, his evidence of cats having more olfactory receptors is false. Yes the average cat
cat has 200 million olfactory receptors but many dog experts and scientists claim that the average dog has more than 220 million olfactory receptors also including bloodhound breeds which has more than that. This proves Dogs have a better sense of smell than cats.

Con then goes on to say dogs sniffing out bombs and drugs aren't something a hero does. You mean to tell me dogs sniffing out bombs in Afghanistan to keep people and military around there safe isn't something a hero does? Con then neglects my other evidence about how dogs are used to lead the blind and how dogs are used by police to track down criminals. Con then goes on to say how cats can prolong ones life by reducing the risk of heart disease. Did you know? dogs can help you with stress and depression, Dogs can also help you stay active and help you become more social, A study by Britain"s Warwick University found that 40% of people reported making friends much easier as a result of owning a dog. Con doesn't even state how Cats are better pets than Dogs, he only stated false information about cats having a better sense of smell than dogs and how cats can also pickup a phone and start calling.

[SOURCES]
http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au...
https://dogvacay.com...
SJM

Con

My opponent tries to prove false my evidence about sense of smell, but doesn't provide a card like I have so I voters should prefer my quote over his own words. Because mine actually comes from experts, while his is just him saying that it came from experts.

And then pro tries to change the word super hero to hero, a dog that sniffs out bombs to keep people safe is a hero, but a dog is not a super hero like superman. Not only by definition would it have to be fictional, it is not strong enough to the point where dogs can smell things extremely far away. Especially when cats smell better.

Pro then goes on to say things which are futile in trying to prove dogs are better than cats, because he says dogs help people with stress and depression, well that's obvious but it's not just dogs but with every pet. People don't go out buying something that stress them out and depress them, pets are fun to have. And he makes another futile remark by saying that dogs help you stay active and social, cats do that as well by making you go over to him or feed, or just play with him. And cats are good topic to talk when you are talking to someone, just as much as dogs.

Then pro says I don't say how cats are better than dogs but just stated false information,

"And if are talking about real superpowers, how about being able to see in the dark? "Cats can see in light levels six times lower than humans can. Dogs have decent night vision, too, but still nip at cats' hindlegs. They can see in light five times as dim."

And the fact that cats do smell better since my opponent failed to disprove it.

All these my opponent has neglected.

Also, aside from the see in the dark superpower, we see in a lot of fictional tv shows and movies that ability to take loads of damage, like for example falling from huge stories and only getting a bruise. "Cats' remarkable ability to survive falls from great heights is a simple and predictable matter of physics, evolutionary biology, and physiology, veterinarians and biologists say." In the link a cat falls 19 stories and only bruised her chance, so owners won't be afraid to drop them. Dogs however get hurt easily, and this is bad for obvious reasons since you don't want your dog to get hurt if you love it.

Also, amazingly cats are actually really intelligent. Cats are not far off from humans and way better than dogs. "A cat's cerebral cortex contains about twice as many neurons as that of dogs. Cats have 300 million neurons, whereas dogs have about 160 million. In fact, cats have more nerve cells in the visual areas of their brain, a part of cerebral cortex, than humans and most other mammals."

Source- http://www.bbc.com...
https://www.psychologytoday.com...
BoggleBros37

Pro

BoggleBros37 forfeited this round.
SJM

Con

Extend everything I have said and i would like to thank my opponent for the debate, and the voters.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
Regarding a report of multiple votes on this debate (and any future votes)

[*Reason for non-removal*] No RFD is required on this debate. As such, votes on this debate are not moderated.
************************************************************************
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: dsjpk5// Mod action: NOT Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments), 1 point to Con (Conduct). Reasons for voting decision:

[*Reason for non-removal*] RFDs are not required on this debate.
Posted by debatesRfun 1 year ago
debatesRfun
I would just like to point out two things,
1. BogleBros37 , your picture is of a cat
&
2. Being able to sniff out bombs and drugs is not to be denied as helpful and important but it has nothing to do with dogs being better PETS than cats.
I would like to have something against your opponent to be impartial but you forfeited two rounds (although they were nice enough not to say much on those rounds) and they provided sources and was able to fully refute everything you remarked against them. In conclusion I think SJM wins but I can't vote yet.
Vote Placed by BackCommander 1 year ago
BackCommander
BoggleBros37SJMTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD not required.
Vote Placed by iholland95 1 year ago
iholland95
BoggleBros37SJMTied
Reasons for voting decision: Dogs are better than cats. Cats just sleep all day where dogs are more affectionate
Vote Placed by TheWorldIsComplicated 1 year ago
TheWorldIsComplicated
BoggleBros37SJMTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited twice. Con defused Pro's argument like the laughing one. Pro failed to describe why the actions happened. Con offered facts like cats being able to smell. Con also provided points on how Cats can lower heart disease and Cat's intelligence.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
BoggleBros37SJMTied