Dogs are better companions than cats.

I am arguing that dogs are better companions that cats.

My reasons for believing this are as follows:

A companion is defined as "a person or animal with whom one spends a lot of time or with whom one travels" (Google "definition of companion").

1. Dogs make you laugh.
In a pilot study done by the Animals and Society Institute, they discovered that out of 95 people, the dog owners laughed significantly more frequently than cat owners [1].

2. Dogs keep us fit.
In a study from 2008, it was discovered that dog owners were 60% more likely than cat owners to walk for leisure. In a more recent study from Michigan State University, it was found that dog owners exercise an average 30 more than "non-owners" each week [2].

4. Dogs are man's best friend.
Because there is an undeniable connection between us. A study from 2013 showed that the relationship between a dog and its owner is similar to that of a child and his parent [4]. Additionally, dogs are also naturally understanding and comforting to humans [3].

Dogs are better companions than cats.

Thank you for debating me. I will specify that yes dogs are good companions, but cats areequally good. I have been friends with many cats. One time I was sick, sitting on my bed, and thumped the bed and called for my cats Cuddles. I said "come here lady, mama needs you". She came running, jumped on my bed, laid down, and purred while I petted her. I had the honor years later to be in the room while she died. I love her as if she is my child. When I was living in the city, I was friends with a street cat. She came to visit me many times, and was supportive when I stopped drinking andwas waiting for charges to be brought against someone who assaulted me. I called her Smokey. parky was very funny and never failed to keep me entertained.

Thank you for accepting this debate!

While I understand what you are saying, and am glad that you (and others) have that connection with cats, it remains, scientifically, that dogs are better companions.

It has even been proved that cuddling may be the reason dogs are "man's best friend." It has been proved that oxytocin (the "cuddle hormone" [1]) is released both by the owner and the dog when cuddling.
"In humans, oxytocin is well known as a hormone that helps mother and baby bond, and as a chemical in the brain that increases the ability of people to understand emotions and solve social problems. However, there is mounting evidence that oxytocinis involed in bonding between humans and dogs" [1].

Additionally, it has been proven that cuddling with your dog boosts your mood, eases pain, lowers stress levels, lowers your blood pressure, boosts immune system, and increases self-confidence [2].

It remains that dogs are better companions than cats.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to the next round.

My point is this: Cats and dogs are equally good friends. I love holding a purring cat.

I understand and acknowledge what you are saying. But it remains, scientifically, that dogs are better companions.

I disagree. All you have done is share your opinion, not scientific fact. You are operating by emotion, not reality.
Vote Placed by Peepette 11 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not debate any of pros points.