Republican95
studentathletechristian8

Dogs are better than Cats

Republican95

Pro

Even though the topic is completely subjective, I think there are a few reasons why dogs are better than cats.

===
Definitions
===

I think we all know what cat, dog, and better mean. (Even thought I'd probably be surprised).

===
Arguments
===

a) Trainability. How many cats can sit on cue, or fetch? Not as many cats can do these things as dogs. It is completely natural for a dog to be submissive to who it finds to be its master. A cat on the other hand likes to "rule the roost".

b) Service. How many cats do you see leading around blind people or rescuing avalanche victims?

c) Cleanliness. Seriously, do I even really need to discuss this one. Cats are gross! They have to go the the bathroom in a box that has to be periodically cleaned by the owner! Dogs go in the yard...
Also, I've heard of cat-scratch fever but have never encountered somebody who suffered from dog-bite fever.

d) Choice. There are hundreds of unique breeds to choose a dog from. If you live on a Montanan Ranch and like the outdoors, then a Labrador Retriever would suit you. But what if you live in a cramped NYC apartment, well, a Chihuahua or other "low maintenance" dog would be perfect. With cats its the same old, same old with any breed: Litter boxes, de-clawings, etc. There is a dog for everybody.

I thank whoever accepts this debate.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate and the readers for the opportunity.

I shall negate the resolution, "Dogs are better than Cats."

===============

Definitions:

I assume my opponent and I are in agreement that the words "dogs" and "cats" in the resolution only refer to household pets. However, I feel an obligation to define the key word in the resolution:

better- of superior quality or excellence.
http://dictionary.reference.com...

===============

Burden of Proof: As Instigator and Pro, my opponent holds the Burden of Proof to affirm the resolution and prove his contentions superior to mine. If I am able to refute my opponent, the resolution will be negated.

===============

Arguments:

a) Trainability- There are varieties of cats who are just as trainable as dogs. My opponent creates an argument that is purely opinionated and does not provide any form of evidence. Furthermore, my opponent claims that it is completely natural for a dog to be submissive to a master. If this was so, there would not be obedience schools for dogs or movies like "Marley and Me" that exhibit the lack of control many dogs possess. A cat can just as easily be taught to sit, play, or fetch as a dog can. Once again, my opponent's argument was completely opinionated and did not bring up sound evidence.

b) Service- My opponent's argument implies that dogs are better than cats because of the service that they can perform. However, cats are able to give just as positive and influential services that dogs can. Cats are able to feasibly capture unwanted mice in a household that may contain family members afraid of these "little critters." In comparison to dogs, cats are able to see much better in the dark, which can come in handy in case a burglar decides to roam the neighborhood looking for potential subjects. The cat can immediately see this disturbance and alert its master. There are also various stories where cats themselves have saved dogs from being killed or seriously injured. Additionally, cats can climb trees in search of lost items or personal belongings too high for a person to reach. Clearly, cats can provide an equally acceptable or even better form of service than dogs.

c) Cleanliness- Cats are generally considered to be more cleanly than dogs. Although cats "go to the bathroom in a box," that is usually the only place a cat will "do its business in." This is beneficial to the owner because it is quite easy to clean a cat's litter box. With all of the automatic cleaning devices these days, it would take a matter of minutes. Dogs not only have to be taken out to go to the bathroom, but the owner must collect the poop droppings and smell the rotten stench for the rest of the walk. Also, dogs tend to have many more accidents in the house than cats do, making dogs less cleanly and considerate than cats. The remainder of my opponent's argument is nonsense. Although people may not suffer from "dog-bite fever," people who are bitten by dogs usually end up going to the hospital to check for harmful bacteria, creating much more inconvenience.

d) Choice- Similar to dogs, there are hundreds of unique breeds of cats to choose from as well. My opponent's argument focuses on the point that "there is a dog for everyone" and that dogs are quite suitable. However, my opponent's exact argument can also be applied to cats as well. My opponent has not given a real reason as to why dogs are a better choice than cats.

=============

Conclusion: I have refuted all of my opponent's points and shown that his arguments are either faulty, not backed up with evidence, or can be applied to cats as well. The resolution is negated.

I thank my opponent for instigating the debate and the readers for their time.
Republican95

Pro

I agree with CON's definition of "better".

My Opponent: "my opponent claims that it is completely natural for a dog to be submissive to a master."

Because they are. It is more natural for a dog to be submissive than a cat. Movies like "Marley and Me" that show "bad dogs" are not the fault of the dog, but the fault of the owner. I'm sure that their have been cats just as bad as that too. I have a question to my opponent: Have you ever personally encountered a cat that could fetch and obey commands like that of a dog?

Also, dogs are smarter than cats, which makes them more trainable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

My Opponent: "Cats are able to feasibly capture unwanted mice in a household that may contain family members afraid of these "little critters."

Dogs can too, my friend. Even though cats are more likely to catch mice and other rodents. Dogs are more inclined to catch garden pests such as gophers and squirrels. These animals can account for loss of hundreds of dollars of year because they damage gardens and lower property values. Mice only "scare people" as my opponent claims.

My Opponent: "In comparison to dogs, cats are able to see much better in the dark, which can come in handy in case a burglar decides to roam the neighborhood looking for potential subjects. The cat can immediately see this disturbance and alert its master."

It is true that cats can see better in the dark, but dogs can smell substantially better than cats. And if a cat does see a burglar or other intruder on someone's property what are they going to do: Meow to death? A dogs bark is much louder than a cat's meow. In fact, cats are more passive to strangers than dogs. Dogs prevent more burglaries than cats.

http://berda.com...
http://berda.com...

Also, my opponent can still not cite an example of a cat leading the blind or rescuing avalanche victims.

My Opponent: "There are also various stories where cats themselves have saved dogs from being killed or seriously injured."

Dogs have also saved cats in the same manner.

My Opponent: "Similar to dogs, there are hundreds of unique breeds of cats to choose from as well. My opponent's argument focuses on the point that "there is a dog for everyone" and that dogs are quite suitable. However, my opponent's exact argument can also be applied to cats as well. My opponent has not given a real reason as to why dogs are a better choice than cats."

There is more variety in dog breeds though. Like for instance, a Chihuahua and a St. Bernard are both dog breeds but are vastly different. Cats do not have this type of variety. The only differences in cats are maybe color, size, and temperament. Dogs have all the same and more.
studentathletechristian8

Con

studentathletechristian8 forfeited this round.
Republican95

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this debate.

Please vote PRO.
studentathletechristian8

Con

Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
Conduct: PRO (forfeits)
Spelling: TIED
Arguments: PRO (mostly due to forfeits)
Sources: PRO (who had more and better sources)
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
Personally, I prefer dogs over cats, but I shall take this debate as a challenge.
Posted by Republican95 7 years ago
Republican95
Cats groom themselves and then cough it back up...
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
I've heard a lot of arguments on the superiority of dogs but cleanliness is certainly a new one. Cats groom themselves, go to the bathroom themselves, and frown upon eating their own vomit. Dogs...not so much.
Posted by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
"Dog" and "Cat" are obvious. However, it would be in your best interest to clarify what you mean by "better".
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
Republican95studentathletechristian8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8