renji_abarai
kyro90

Dogs are better than Cats

kyro90

renji_abarai

Pro

The First Round is just for stating your position clearly and confirmation of the rules pertaining to this debate.

There will be no abuse of semantics which is by definition of this debate, one definition per word will exist and will not be bent according to technicalities or any other definition a dictionary has to provide.

There will be no abuse of using dictionaries such as an argument stating that cats are better than dogs because C (first letter of the word Cat) comes before D (First Letter of the word Dog) in the dictionary.

By definition of the word "better" I define it as a word which means that the dog is more loyal, behaves better with proper training, and is used for a wider variety of things.

My position for this debate is dogs are better than cats.

I thank my opponent in advance for accepting this debate and complying with the terms above. I wish him good luck and hope that he may have much fun in this debate as I will.
kyro90

Con

I would like to Especially thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate as I love cats and have been meaning to debate them but keep forgetting (I forget alote... *_*). Now anyway.... I will accept just rules and regulations but would like it if I could just make one teensie rule which is; there should be no abuse of strength. As in, you cannot say that dogs are better because they can scare a cat better than a cat can scare a dog.....
And now this debate shall now begin.... *_*

renji_abarai

Pro

I agree to your rule as well kyro90 and I thank you for accepting this debate. I hope you will enjoy this debate and have a copious amount of fun.

From this round on, the debating will commence and will follow the rules that have been stated above in round 1. There will be no more rule making or tweaking of any kind to the rules or anything that might alter the rules.

First
Dogs are friendly and loyal pets. They will stick to your side no matter what. Not even death can break the bonds that a human and a dog can have together. In fact, dogs are so loyal and friendly that they have earned the title "Man's best friend".

One example of a loyal dog is Hachiko. Hachiko was a dog that waited for his master every day for nine to ten years even though he died at work. Because of this, Hachiko is dubbed as a symbol of loyalty.

Another example of a loyal dog is Ruswarp. Ruswarp was a 14 year old border collie and his master was Graham Nuttall. Nuttall and Ruswarp went hiking, but did not return as scheduled. Then, 11 weeks later, another hiker found Nuttall's body with Ruswarp standing guard. This shows the immense loyalty that Ruswarp had for his master. For 11 weeks Ruswarp stood over his master's body, knowing he was dead, but still standing by his side.

Second
Dogs can be used to fetch newspapers. They are only obeying there owners command and are trained to do so. This is shown in the video I have provided above. It can only be assumed (which is true) that dogs can be trained to fetch an assortment of items such as remotes, cups, papers, bags, etc...

Third
Dogs can be used in the military, war, and prisons. They have a keen sense of smell and good eye. If prisoners try to escape dogs that blend into the dark and night start barking and chasing the escapees. When they catch them, they hold off the escapees till the prison guards get there so prison convicts aren't let loose into our society. Dogs can be used in the military to sniff out mines and other explosives buried in the ground. Dogs have also been used in warfare. explosives have been put on there backs and are directed to the enemy. Dogs are fast, nimble, and very athletic so its hard to escape the dog.

http://ruswarp.blogspot.com...

http://dogsinthenews.com...

http://usmilitary.about.com...

http://www.care2.com...

I thank my opponent again for accepting this debate and I hope he will be challenging and fun. I am eager to see his next debate and I wish him the best of luck.
kyro90

Con

Well, First thing on the agenda is I would like to refute your arguments if you would allow me....

First: Cats can act the same as a dog. They can be loyal? They can stick by someones side if that owner was a very loving and caring owner? A cat can be loyal but comparing dogs and cats would be like comparing apples and oranges. They both are tasty in a differnet way so to speak. What im saying is that cats have their own type of loyalty. Cats version of loyalty is that it can be very helpfull around the house or anywhere they are needed. For example, a cat can help you get rid of mice that are in the house.

Second: Cats can also be trained to do the things that dogs can do. If you are saying that dogs (but not cats) can do these things than you can also be refering that ONLY alligators eat meat and crocodiles are not allowed to?

Third: Though dogs have keen abilities, that can be at some disadvantage. Cats are quiet, patient and never beg. But, dogs are mean, sometimes rabid, and they can definitly hurt someone. So although dogs can hunt down prisoners and tackle them to the ground, that is one one way you can use the dogs rabid senses and abilities to assist and now injure.

Now it is time for my agrument.....

Less work?
Now although dogs are sometimes very nice and always want your attention, that does come with some disadvantages. Dogs are always hungry, they cannot ever get enough food sometimes and they would sometimes hurt you just to get it. But on the other hand, cats love to live in solitude so you just have to leave some food and a litter box and you can pet him whenever you want without having to be hurt whenever you pat him or stroke their fur.

That sadly, has been the end of my debate and I hope you guys liked my arguments. :)
Source(s):

Truth that cat owners have better degrees:http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Loyalty difference: http://www.helium.com...

renji_abarai

Pro

I thank my opponent for his speedy reply and I am thoroughly enjoying this debate as time goes by. I would like to point out a few errors that kyro90 has made.

First
He indeed rebutted my points in his own way but with all of his own opinions and not facts. He also questioned both statements in the very beginning thus giving helping me. These are statements and cannot be posed into questions just by simply adding a question mark. If a statement does have a question mark though, that shows uncertainty or hesitancy in the opponents answer. The usefulness of cats catching mice is very slim and some cats even bring in live mice from outside into the house.

Second
Cats cannot be trained the way dogs do and their usefulness as their utility is even questioned. Cats are attached to a place rather than a person and as such, will be less likely to take direct orders from an owner as would a dog.

Third
My opponent is says "dogs have keen abilities, that can be at some disadvantage. Cats are quiet, patient and never beg. But, dogs are mean, sometimes rabid, and they can definitely hurt someone.". This is true for some dogs and some cats. Cats need much more training than a dog. What kyro90 is basically saying is ALL dogs are mean, sometimes rabid, and they can definitely hurt someone and ALL Cats are quiet, patient and never beg.

I'm pretty sure his video doesn't show that the Dog is trying definitely hurt the baby. He is rescuing the baby.

http://www.youtube.com...

This cat actually hits the baby instead of being quiet and patient.

Also, when you say cats are quiet, you are saying that cats never meow, never make noise, or make any form of sound frequency whatsoever. When you cats are patient, you are saying that cats always wait and never get impatient.

Now that I have rebutted all of your points that you were uncertain about as implied at the very beginning of this debate, I will state my argument

First
Once again, kyro90 is very unsure of himself because he has questioned a his statement by adding a question mark at the end of his argument topic. kyro90's opinion of "Dogs are always hungry, they cannot ever get enough food sometimes and they would sometimes hurt you just to get it." is wrong. Dogs normally on average eat 3 servings a day just like we do. If the dog is bigger than the average size dog, they will normally eat 4-5 servings a day from from a full bowl. if the dog is smaller than the average size dog, it will normally eat 2-3 servings a day from a bowl full of dog food. I hardly refer to that as the statement "Dogs are always hungry, they cannot ever get enough food". Cats living is solitude isn't very much a good thing most of the time. they wont be able to help owners like dogs do and you implied that earlier on, cats can be just as helpful as dogs such as fetching the newspaper. If they don't receive the order from the owner and are living in solitude somewhere in the house, how can they be useful?

I thank my opponent once again for a speedy rely and a good debate. This is very interesting and I am eagerly anticipating his next argument.

http://ths.gardenweb.com...

http://ezinearticles.com...

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com...

http://www.youtube.com...
kyro90

Con

Well I dont have much time so ill make this short and by the way just to make things clear, im only putting a question mark on some sentances because I am simply asking them if they agree on what I am saying. Yes?

First

Though you are saying that these all I am saying are only oppinions, I do agree, though it is only because a debate like this was MEANT for oppinion. I have never heard of facts about which is better.

Second

If cats and cat owners work together, then they may someday be able to work together and achieve things that dogs can also do.

Argument

Dogs are most likely to be thrown away. I am actually in fact watching an adoption commercial and there were more dogs that were homeless than cats.

That is currently all I have.... So... Yeah I didnt really have well enough arguments so you know, juts vote up there...../\

Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
It seems I accidentally deleted my reasons. I'll just explain arguments, since everything else should be obvious.

Pro's first argument was pretty good. That is, it was good until Con pointed out it depends on what kind of loyalty/compassion/friendship you prefer. Pro's second argument remained strong, since Con's rebuttals did almost nothing to it. Pro's third argument was also strong; however, Con displayed that a dog's abilities could also be put into bad use. In other words, dogs can hurt people. This could have been easily refuted, but Pro went about it the wrong way. In essence, Pro only had one good argument.

Con's arguments were a bit scattered. He claimed that dogs are always hungry, which is not true. Pro refuted this with faulty information. My dog, which is a medium to large sized dog, eats only one full bowl of dry food a day, and every other day we give her wet food. We do not feed her 4-5 bowls of dry food; otherwise, she'd probably die from being so fat, lol. However, there is no denying the fact that dogs eat more than cats and are definitely louder. Con also indirectly made a good argument by posting a link that showed cat owners were smarter than dog owners, which Pro failed to refute.

Thus, Con won arguments. I like dogs more, but just by a little, so that's why I still agree with Pro. It was an okay debate, and I only have one more thing to say--GO DOGS!
Posted by Reid 5 years ago
Reid
http://imgur.com...
^ Relevant.
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Woot! Its a tie! ^_^ So far....
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Judging by his comments the guys kinda mean? *_*
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
hmmm. Somewhat... I wouldn't say that we 'know' each other...
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Lol dont you know that BUZZARD guy vmpire?
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Yeah, we go to the same school.
Posted by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
o.0' PeacefulChaos and Kyro90 know each other?
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
Lol! We talked about this during lunch didnt we!?
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Hm-mm, I think I recall hearing those arguments before, and they sound VERY familiar. I can't quite remember where I've heard them. Oh, well.
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
renji_abaraikyro90Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Reasons in comment section.
Vote Placed by happy-bread 5 years ago
happy-bread
renji_abaraikyro90Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had the best argument in the debate, dogs can hurt people. I gave sources to con too cuz youtube videos pretty much dont prove anything
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
renji_abaraikyro90Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Hmm.. I personally have no opinion on this topic, but to me, CON had better arguments... Everything Else was pretty much tied...
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
renji_abaraikyro90Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Tough one, both did well. In the end, I think Pro made the most solid argument but Con used the most *reliable* sources
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
renji_abaraikyro90Tied
Reasons for voting decision: impossible to argue either way inherently because this debate is all about opinion and that there is almost no facts in this debate, but pro had batter arguments, but con had better sources.
Vote Placed by JakeBoatman96 5 years ago
JakeBoatman96
renji_abaraikyro90Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I am and probably always will be a "cat person." That's probably why I perceived that Con made more convincing arguments. But, Pro used better sources.