YoudkMyName
MistyBlue

Dogs are better than cats.

MistyBlue

YoudkMyName

Pro

I would like to say that dogs are better than cats because, 1. Cats are moody, and hard to train.
1. Dogs are loyal, can be service animals, can be guard dogs, and easy to train. (Most of the time)
MistyBlue

Con

Thank you for posting this debate.
You did not say that the first round was acceptance and already expressed some of your points, so I will respond to your arguments and make some points of my own.

1.) Animals and humans alike reflect their past in their present characteristics. Any cat, dog, or other animal will be "grumpy" and suspicious of humans if it has suffered abuse at the hands of people, has had many pranks played on it, or is not being handled correctly at the time. Cats and dogs who did not have much human contact during their first few weeks will also be more shy than cats who saw many people in their first few weeks. You also cannot say that an entire group of animals is grumpy because a few cats that you've seen are grumpy.

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say that cats are hard to train. It is a stereotype that causes people to not even try training their kitty. If trained, a cat can do just as many tricks as dogs. Cats have been trained to sit, lay down, stand up, come to the owner, shake hands, roll over, and many other tricks.

(You had two 1's so I am referring to the second one as 2)
2.) If treated right, a cat will be loyal to its owner. Just because they tend to show it in a different way than dogs doesn't mean that cats aren't loyal at all.

Cats are actually better pets for seniors and the disabled as they do not require walking and are easier to take care of. Seniors need company when they are older and alone and there is no substitute for a warm, furry, and purring cat that will happily curl up all day with its owner. Also, there have been service cats in the worlds history, at one point in time there were postal cats who delivered mail to neighboring villages.

Cats can be just as ferocious as a dog if they feel that they are in danger. The nice thing is that they don't attack, deafen , or scare the wits out of visitors or the postman/postwoman for no reason whatsoever.

Again, I repeat that cats are trainable as well. Check out the Youtube video. You will never say that cats are untrainable again after you see the video. It amazed even a cat lover like me.

Now, I will express some of my points.

1.) Cats are much more reasonable pets for those living in apartments, condos, or the like (that allow pets). Cats take up less space in general as they are smaller than most dogs and have a lower activity level on average. Have you ever heard of the people downstairs complaining about a loud cat? I thought not. Vocal cats at their loudest are quieter and less annoying to the neighbors than a dog's bark.

2.) Having a cat is much less expensive than having a dog. Logically, feeding an animal that is 25 pounds or less (assuming that it is not overweight) is much less expensive on average than feeding a dog which can be as heavy as 160 pounds. Obviously the weight of the animal depends on the breed, but only a few dogs on the list are as light as cats.

3.) Cats do not do their.....business in their owner's backyard or other people's front lawns and gardens. They use a litter box when trained to do so. It's much more sanitary and keeps the neighbors happy. (I am talking about owned and trained cats only here) Dogs require being taken out for a walk or let outside every few hours to relieve themselves no matter what the weather is. If it is thundering and pouring rain, the dog still must be let outside, which is an obvious advantage of having a cat.

How to teach a cat to do tricks http://www.squidoo.com...

Postal Cats http://query.nytimes.com...
Dog and cat weights by breeds http://www.petobesityprevention.com...
YoudkMyName

Pro

Thank you for accepting.
Now, You said Cats are good pets for seniors. My counter argument is that What if the Senior Citizen was getting robbed? Have you ever heard of a Guard Cat? Smaller Dogs, which would also fit into an apartment, condo, etc. can easily be trained to protect the owner.
You also said something about Postal Cats. In 1888 The Mascot of The Railway Mail Service was Owney, a scruffy mutt. He was said to be a "Good Luck Charm", because all the trains, when he was on them NEVER crashed.
Finally, You said Cats were loyal. I am not saying that, what you said wasn't true. I'm just saying that dogs have been with people for a long long time. They aid humans in police work, by sniffing out drugs and bombs. When you walk them, you get to meet new people, and you get more excersise. They help sniff out people stuck in avalanches. They help cut human stress. The possibilities are endless.
Sources: http://m.voices.yahoo.com...
http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu...
http://m.heraldsun.com...

Extra Note: I love Cats, just as much as I love dogs, but most cats I've had in my life have hurt me in one way or another. I'm not saying that my dog's haven't hurt me. Just that more cats have than dogs.
MistyBlue

Con

If the senior was getting robbed, there is a good chance that the intruder will be armed. They can easily shoot the dog. The problem with training pets as guard dogs is that they view almost all people as intruders and become more aggressive towards strangers.
That's cute. :) Still, that is luck. Cats are lucky too, although I don't know of anything like that.
The military traditionally uses dogs, German Shepards in particular to sniff out things, but cats may be part of the forces soon (see the article) Cats also cut stress. Both of them can curl up with their owner and make them a lot happier.

I have a few additional points:
1.) Cats groom themselves, you do not have to brush or bathe them for the most part. They also do not smell doggy, I bet you know the kind of smell I'm talking about.
2.) Cats can be let out of the house with a higher reassurance of them coming back. They have an excellent sense of navigation. Although lost dogs have a higher rate of being returned to their owners, a much greater percent of cats return on their own, 66% of lost cats returned home on their own, whereas only 8% of lost dogs found their way back. This also relates to the intelligence of cats.

Reply to Extra Note: That makes two of us. I love cats and dogs pretty equally, although it may not seem that way.
Lost cat/dog statistics: http://researchnews.osu.edu...
Military Cats http://www.army.mil...
YoudkMyName

Pro

YoudkMyName forfeited this round.
MistyBlue

Con

Because YouDkMyName didn't say anything in the previous round, I will put some pictures where I would have responded to her arguments.

Cuties.

Additional Points:
1.) Cats don't maul your guests as soon as they walk through the door.
2.) A cat is a purrfect exterminator. Cats are much better at catching bugs and other critters than dogs.
3.) Cats usually do not chew up your shoes and leave them smelling like dog drool
4.) When one buys a cat a toy, it will last for years, possibly, whereas a dog can break a toy in 5 minutes.

YoudkMyName

Pro

YoudkMyName forfeited this round.
MistyBlue

Con

Looks like its more kittens and cats!! Thanks for reading this debate!!

Wait... I have one final point.
Contrary to the subject of this debate, BOTH cats and dogs are awesome and YOU can help them. Visit and volunteer and donate to your local shelter, humane society, or whatever. Millions of animals are euthanized each year because nobody wanted them. So make a difference!!!!!!! 5 bucks can save a life when you add it up. Foster a cat or dog in your home until a buyer wants them. Make dog and cat beds. Have a drive for supplies at your school or workplace. Know that you can make a difference.

Vote Placed by rajun 3 years ago
rajun
YoudkMyNameMistyBlueTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to can as they went unchallenged,FF,Con had better presentation and resources.
Vote Placed by orangemayhem 3 years ago
orangemayhem
YoudkMyNameMistyBlueTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con because Pro forfeited whereas Con stuck it out. S/G pretty much equal between both sides. Args to Con because Con's later arguments went unchallenged. Sources to Con for having better sources (I'm counting the cat pictures as sources for the 'Cuties' argument).