KirstinKate
feverish

Dogs are better than cats

KirstinKate

Pro

Dogs are better pets.
feverish

Con

Respectful thanks to my youthful opponent for instigating this debate.

As most of her other recent debates on this site seem to have been age restricted, I hope she does not object to an old geezer like me accepting this debate.
I assume that she is so confident on this issue that she is sure she can win against an opponent of any age, although, of course, I do not mean to imply that older = better debater.

My opponent makes two absolute statements.
If I can show at least one example of a situation where a cat is "better" than a dog or a "better" pet, I should win this debate, although that of course will be up to voters.

As my opponent refers to pets, I will assume my opponent intends to limit our discussion to domestic cats and dogs rather than including foxes, wolves, lions, tigers etc.

I will offer a definition for "better":

"(comparative of `good') superior to another (of the same class or set or kind) in excellence or quality or desirability or suitability"
http://www.google.co.uk...

My opponent says: "Dogs are better than cats"

Obviously dogs are better at certain things (eg. sniffing out drugs) and cats are better at others (eg. catching mice) so to make a blanket statement that one is better than the other is clearly unsupportable.

My opponent says: "Dogs are better pets [than cats]"

This depends on what you want out of a pet and is different for different people.
Some examples of situations where cats are better.

1. If you are allergic to dogs but not to cats then a cat is clearly a more suitable pet.

http://allergies.about.com...

2. If you have young children a cat is probably a safer option. 11,100,000 Google hits for 'dog attacks child' (0.31 seconds), 320,000 for cat attacks child. (0.30 seconds)

http://www.google.co.uk...

3. A cat is easier to look after and requires much less attention than a dog.

4. Some individuals may personally identify more with cats or have more of a 'cat-type' personality.

5. Some people may have a phobia of dogs, for them a cat is more suitable.

6. Dogs generally require training and good handling to avoid being dangerous to people, some people are not responsible enough to own dogs and for them a cat makes more sense.
An excellent example of this last point is the fact that until 1986 in the UK people needed a license to own a dog, but have never needed a license to own a cat.

I look forward to my opponent's arguments.
Thankyou.
KirstinKate

Pro

I'm fine with my opponets definition for better.

First we should look at his first point "If you are allergic to dogs but not to cats then a cat is clearly a more suitable pet" This statement isn't necessarily right there are Hypoallergenic Dogs for example an american hairless terrior.
http://www.strongpets.com...

Second we look at his second point he states because cats have a less attack rate they are better. I would just like to state that there are many breeds of dogs little to big. If the family has young child it would be best for him to get a little dog. also most dogs who got raised in abusive living situations.

Third he states that "A cat is easier to look after and requires much less attention than a dog." He has no evidence to support his point.

Fourth he states "Some individuals may personally identify more with cats or have more of a 'cat-type' personality." This is irrealevant to the debate.

Fifth he says "Some people may have a phobia of dogs, for them a cat is more suitable" If a person has a "phobia" of dogs he cannot say that a cat is more suitable because he doesn't know the person with the phobia.

Sixth he says dogs require training and good handling but a cat also needs the same kind of training so the cat will not be dangerous.

feverish

Con

Thanks again to my opponent.

In the first two rounds Pro has stated no arguments of her own that dogs are better pets than cats. She has simply attempted to prove my points wrong.

As she is not only arguing the Pro position but is also the instigator of this debate, I think it is fair to assume that my opponent must bear some responsibility for proving her resolution. She has one round left in which to do this.

As I mentioned in the first round, in making an absolute statement my opponent is arguing that dogs are absolutely better than cats in all circumstances.
It is my responsibility to prove at least one example where this is not the case.

I have already given several examples of cases where cat's are better which my opponent has attempted to refute.

In this round I shall briefly disproving these refutations as they apply to the resolution.
Each of these by itself should prove the case for Con.

----
1. My opponents own source about the miraculous hypoallergenic dog makes the following point:

"If you are highly allergic to most dogs, avoiding dogs altogether is your wisest choice, for both you and the dog. If you are mildly allergic and are being treated with antihistamines or allergy shots, it might be possible for you to own a dog."

People with these high allergy levels are advised not to own dogs at all. For them a cat is better.

----
2. Little dogs can also be dangerous. More so than cats.
Applying the same test as before, even restricting to the one of several possible words for small, we see that:

"little dog attacks child" gets 2,760,000 hits as opposed to just 320,000 for "cat attacks child" whether the cat is large or small.

http://www.google.co.uk...

----
3. I may not have provided evidence to support this particular point but unlike my opponent at least I have made a point to support.

There isn't much science to back up the fact that cats are easier to look after, but there is plenty of opinion.

From a pet lovers site (not cat specific or cat biased):

"Cats are very low maintenance!!!! I would much rather have cats than dogs, but I ended up with 2 of each. The dogs are very high maintenance"
"Dogs are great, but cats are so much easier"
"Cats are easier, but dogs are more fun."
"I love my dog, but when I was a cat only household, I had a lot more freedom."

http://pets.yourajc.com...

And another:" Cats are also far more independent than dogs."
http://www.gomestic.com...

----
4. I think it is up to voters if this is irrelevant to the debate.
If an individual prefers cats and identifies more with them than they do with dogs then a cat is a better pet for that person. Simple really.

----
5. My opponents only response to this point was that "If a person has a "phobia" of dogs he cannot say that a cat is more suitable because he doesn't know the person with the phobia."

I put it to my opponent that in fact I do know 'the person with the phobia', they are a good friend of mine.
I suggest it is my opponent who does not know 'the person with the phobia.'

----
6. By common consensus dogs need more training than cats and as I have already proved they are far more dangerous to humans if not trained adequately and handled with care.

A huge industry exists to provide dog obedience training. Cats, not so much. Don't make me google it.

----
As my opponent has not yet posted an argument for why dogs are universally better in every case, I don't feel the need to make any new arguments of my own in this round.

Thanks to my opponent and readers.
KirstinKate

Pro

KirstinKate forfeited this round.
feverish

Con

It is a shame my opponent has forfeited without making a single argument for why dogs are always better than cats.

Dogs can indeed make fantastic pets, they are loyal, loving and can be trained to perform many useful tasks and amusing tricks.

However as I have shown, in some cases cats are a more appropriate choice and the superior pet.

Thanks to my opponent and to you the reader.
Posted by RacH3ll3 7 years ago
RacH3ll3
RFD:
Before the debate: PRO
After: CON
conduct:CON (He said thank you more often, and Pro forfieted a round without an explination of why)
S&G:CON (Again, it has to do with the forfiet.)
convincing arg.: CON
most reliable sources:CON
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
TheSkeptic
A forfeit and a lack of supported arguments bring the vote to con.
Posted by alto2osu 7 years ago
alto2osu
Dogs, my good friends, are *clearly* better than cats. This is a categorical truth which none can deny. I do believe that feverish has simply been brainwashed by the mass media cat conspiracy to believe such fallacies as presented in his case are true! :D

With that said, I gave him my vote. The pro needed offensive arguments, as all elements of the debate clearly point to their necessity in the round. Spell check and grammar check needed to happen, as well, since most of pro's sentences are run-on or lack punctuation all together. She makes some decent arguments, but never carries them through. Lots of claims that could be backed up, but that weren't backed up.

Dogs are still totally better than cats though...no matter how skilled feverish is at finding photoshopped ninja cats...lol...
Posted by feverish 7 years ago
feverish
A picture speaks a thousand words.
Posted by KirstinKate 7 years ago
KirstinKate
(:
They went away. the restrictions of course.
Posted by rangersfootballclub 7 years ago
rangersfootballclub
I-AM-Panda as much as i think this is a stupid debate myself , im sick of you posting cr*p like that every deabte you see lol ..
Posted by alto2osu 7 years ago
alto2osu
Wow...age restriction finally went away?
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Animals as pets has little weight. Cats could extend to lions, tigers, etc.
Vote Placed by U.n 10 months ago
U.n
KirstinKatefeverishTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
TheSkeptic
KirstinKatefeverishTied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
KirstinKatefeverishTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
KirstinKatefeverishTied
Vote Placed by KirstinKate 7 years ago
KirstinKate
KirstinKatefeverishTied
Vote Placed by mrbullfrog11 7 years ago
mrbullfrog11
KirstinKatefeverishTied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
KirstinKatefeverishTied
Vote Placed by alto2osu 7 years ago
alto2osu
KirstinKatefeverishTied