Dogs are better than cats

Dogs are better than cats. The reason why I say this is because dogs are more reliable and social, (unless abused, hurt, or scared).

a domesticated canid, Canis familiaris, bred in many varieties.

Dumb definition
Four legged companion (friend)

a small domesticated carnivore, Felis domestica or F. catus, bred in a number of varieties.

dumb definition
four legged evil demon

an evil spirit; devil or fiend

(, n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2015.)

I accept. Since my opponent has provided two definitions for cats and dogs. I obviously choose the actual definition for both cats and dogs since evidentally the dumb definitions provided by my opponent are the result of subjectivity.

When the main argument begins I would like to say this is opinion not direct insult of cat lovers. Dogs are better in many cases such as companionship and empathy. Dogs can read emotion better than cats can. Near a 100% of the time cats that are owned start to become outdoor cats than indoor or straight up leave their owners.

I am arguing that cats are better than dogs. Cats cost roughly $1035 in the first year of having them. The average sized dog costs $1580 in the first year .While dogs use their tongues to scoop liquid into their mouths, lapping cats stick the tip of their tongue in a liquid then retract it four times as quickly, bringing the liquid up in a neat column and leaving little mess. This is both a cleaner and more effective way of drinking. (1)

I will now use science to prove that cats are better than dogs...

- "Cats can detect a vast range of sound frequencies, from 55 Hz to 79 KHz. Dogs only manage between 67 Hz and 44 KHz." (1)

- "Cats can see in light levels six times lower than humans can. Dogs have decent night vision, too, but still they can see in light five times as dim." (1)

- "Cats even beat dogs in smell. While certain breeds of dogs, like bloodhounds, have up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses, most breeds have far fewer. The average cat sports approximately 200 million olfactory receptors, much more than the average dog." (1)

"According to a 2009 study, the area of land required to keep a medium-sized dog fed is larger than the amount needed to power two SUVs, roughly 0.84 hectares annually. A cat, however, requires far less energy to live, needing the equivalent of 0.15 hectares." (1)

- Cats also have significantly better balance. Ask yourself this question : "Have you ever seen a dog land on a fence?" I didn't think so.

- When cats walk, they lay their hindpaw almost exactly in the print left by the forepaw. This supreme precision is coupled with a streamlined musculature and a very flexible backbone. Since their spine has more vertebrae, they're also able to twist themselves as ably as a gymnast, which helps them navigate tight spaces and (almost) always land on their feet. (1)

Con states that "most dogs don't require much care." - I am honestly shocked. A dog requires walks, training, people to pick up their waste. Most dogs cannot be left alone at home and they cannot be left alone on holidays. Cats just need someone to come in once a day and put food in their bowl and that's it - in the worst case scenario they can just go in the garden and catch a mouse, a bird or a squirrel. Dogs rely heavily on others whereas cats are independent.

Dogs do what their owners say. This means they have very little free will.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves."

Dogs have inferior knowledge and awareness.

Vote Con for Cats!

NOTE: I wrote this case quite a few months ago, so the quality isn't me at my best.

Ok, I have a question when did I ever say dogs are easy to take care of?

Yes, cats may have better night vision and take less space but when does the point of many jobs come in. Dogs (not cats) can have ( a percentage of dogs do) have jobs. Dogs can guard property, sniff out bombs, lead blind people, and can serve as search and rescue dogs. Cats don't accept commands because of their natural instinct from their ancestors. While dogs come from a heritage of family (wolf packs in this case). Domestic cats sleep an average of 16 hours a day. Dogs are mostly active during this time with owners or a job.

By the way I actually have seen a dog land on a fence (don't ask just, don't ask)

I will use this round as a rebuttal to rounds 2 and 3 due to the short arguments presented in both by Pro.

"When the main argument begins I would like to say this is opinion not direct insult of cat lovers."

That was a joke.

Where's your proof? Where's your source?

"Dogs can read emotion better than cats can."

This is false.

"Near a 100% of the time cats that are owned start to become outdoor cats than indoor or straight up leave their owners."

There are many indoor cats and many sites in regards to them:;. Hardly any of these cats have left their owners:;

Now onto R3 ...

"Yes, cats may have better night vision and take less space"

Concession? The resolution is in regards to which is better. Conceding almost all objective points in regards to 'better' is essentially a resolutional concession.

"Dogs can guard property"

There are such things as guard cats:

"sniff out bombs"

What good are they at night? My opponent has conceeded to night vision in cats so I ask again ... what good are they at night (which is the best time to look for bombs when you have a botential bomber around).

"lead blind people"

But who can lead the blind dogs? Don't worry, cats lead blind dogs around:

"serve as search and rescue dogs"

There are such things as search and resuce cats and they have even proven to be better at it than dogs! They go out in the harshest (hottest and coldest) conditions and have a higher rescue save percentage than dogs!

"Cats don't accept commands because of their natural instinct from their ancestors."

Clearly, you're wrong!;

"Dogs are mostly active during this time with owners or a job."

Did you not see the picture at the end of my contention? If you aren't buying this then you'll be surpirized to learn that most dogs sleep for more hours than they're awake!;

"I actually have seen a dog land on a fence"

I'm going to have to request evidence for this, and even if you do provide evidence, this is one case out of every single dog on the planet. This severly distorts and mitigates this argument.

As you have broken down my argument, I would like to reinstate the purpose of this debate. Dogs are better than cats as I have not seen or heard of many of my opponents things. As many would say "A dog is a man's best friend" so in sort dogs have been used longer than cats as well as dogs having more physical truth and seen truth. Now many may argue with this but when, when have you ever in general heard a cop team with cats. There is the K-9 unit I haven't heard any other animal team like that.

"A dog is a man's best friend"

You may have also heard the following saying: "The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats..."

"dogs have been used longer than cats"

False. As previously stated cats have been used for an equally long time as dogs (as far as we've recorded).;

"when have you ever in general heard a cop team with cats."

I have, I've already told you. This is invalid because many people have.;

Ok, I admit I probably lost this debate by a lot but I still learned quite a lot from this debate and I look forward to any future debates if anyone want's to challenge me.

Peace out people

Concession by Pro, please vote Con.

I'm glad to know that you learnt something though and I'm always up for debates if my opponent or anybody else wants one then I'm happy to set one up.
Posted by Themeaman909 10 months ago
I'm a cat lover! And they are not demons, they are just sensitive to all the annoying crap people do to them all day. I have 8 cats, so take my advice for it. And remember, just because you think dogs may be "cute" doesn't mean they are better, I mean... come on.
Posted by Balacafa 10 months ago
The resolution is insulting to cats. You will now be DESTROYED for crimes against cat lovers.
Vote Placed by famousdebater 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.