tinydog2473
theoneandonlykas

Dogs are better then cats

tinydog2473

Pro

I believe that dogs are better then cats because dogs are the ones that are 'Man's best friend'. Dogs have also been vital to our survival as a species for many reasons. One reason includes the fact that many dogs were bred as hunting dogs. Even though many breeds of dogs are strictly used for many things such as fashion shows, these dogs help people make a living and have an income on winnings.
Dogs are also companions; some for the visually impaired and others just for lonely people. Dogs are also in the criminal fields, this meaning that they are used in the K-9 unit to sniff out drugs such as marijuana.
Now I don't know about you, but I have never seen a cat do some of the amazing things that dogs have done in our history.
theoneandonlykas

Con

Dogs have done some pretty useful things for us, however, I do not believe an animal's contributions to humans mean anything when determining the better pet, especially since the average family dog will do none of those things. I think cats are better because of the fact that they require far less attention. You feed a cat, you give a cat water, and you pet it occasionally. You dangle a string if it wants to play. A cat will take care of business in a box. You have to take dogs for a walk. You throw a tennis ball to a dog and it returns it to you, slimy and gross. Dogs chase squirrels and other dogs too. You have to give dogs baths. Dogs soil your furniture and ruin your clothes. Dogs run out in front of cars and get killed. Cats are kind animals, and content most of the time when they are by themselves.
tinydog2473

Pro

My opponent stated, "You have to take dogs for a walk." this is true however it is good to take a dog for a walk so you can get exercise.Since my opponent said that dogs chase squirrels and other dogs, that means they are also getting exercise at that same time, so in some instances you don't have to walk your dogs for they are entertaining themselves and getting exercise as well. As I stated before dogs are in the K-9 unit and sniff out drugs, they also find dead bodies under rubble. Which, now correct me if I'm wrong, but this was extremely important after the 9/11 bombings. My opponent also stated that dogs soil your furniture and ruin your clothes. This is true, however, if you are a 100% dog lover such as myself, it doesn't matter to you. Now this is my opinion, along with thousands of other people, that you get a pet for a companion to spend time with and to love and care for it, not just give it food, water, and pet it occasionally. If ya know what i mean...
theoneandonlykas

Con

A dog chasing a squirrel or another dog would be very entertaining for it. Most likely not for you since you would have to stop your dog from attacking another one. Most likely not for your neighbor whose garden gets trampled by your dog entertaining himself chasing a squirrel. Dogs being able to find people buried under a pile of rubble is a wonderful thing, I won't deny that. I still don't feel like they owe us that. I own a dog as well, and as much as I love him, when he ruined a very nice pair of shoes it mattered a lot. I believe I had right to be upset with him. I agree that most people do get a pet for companionship. I was only being figurative when I stated earlier that all cats require is food and water.
tinydog2473

Pro

First of all, I would like to congratulate my opponent, you have made my first debate very fun. Now, on a more serious note, my opponent stated that they were upset at their dog when they ruined a nice pair of shoes, and they did have ever right to be upset at their dog. My dog even torn up my couch leaving just the frame and fabric and stuffing EVERYWHERE. She also chewed up my tortoise, but I still love her very much. However, I do believe it is right to punish your dog when that dog has done something naughty. That is the proper way to train a dog to do the correct things.
My big reason why I believe that dogs are better then cats is because dogs help so many people with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) which is something that happens to someone after, say a terrible event. An example of PTSD would be say a veteran of WWII, let's say this veteran was on the front lines for the US and they were helping save people from concentration camps. That veteran might get PTSD because of the things that they saw while during the war. Many veterans are often granted with dogs, given to them by many charity organizations, one charity being the WWP (Wounded Warriors Project). These dogs would then help the veteran get through the traumatic event. But not just veterans get PTSD, many other people and get PTSD, such as police officers, firefighters, or just normal people. Dogs also help people with depression and disabilities. Honestly I've never seen a seeing eye cat.
Also, Hundreds of rulers through history have had dogs as pets, for like a status symbol. Dogs are also very effective for being guard dogs. My littlest dogs (a 10 pound Jack Russell Terrier) is still an amazing guard dog even though he isn't big. He freaks out when I just walk down the stairs. My step-dad has had many guard dogs when he was running his shipping business.
That is why I believe dogs are better then cats because they are both great companions and amazing at many other things.
theoneandonlykas

Con

I am aware of the fact that dogs help people who have dealt with PTSD and depression and other disabilities. I agree that is a great thing. Cats could be able to help someone with depression. They are very sweet, loving animals and can lower someone's stress level. Cats typically don't require as much training as a dog would either. They are much smaller and take up less space in your home too. If a cat climbs into bed with you, you wouldn't mind so much. With a large dog, it would be uncomfortable and nearly impossible. Dogs are protective of their owners, and can be good at guarding your home. There are other ways of protecting yourself though. You can get a security system and a gun. Neither of which require very much maintenance. As far as people owning dogs in history for a status symbol, people probably did that with cats too. I believe cats are better because they are calmer and quieter than dogs, making them a little easier to own.
Posted by mcdorr72 2 years ago
mcdorr72
Lol.
Posted by tinydog2473 2 years ago
tinydog2473
You said it theoneandonlykas
Posted by theoneandonlykas 2 years ago
theoneandonlykas
This is just for fun. You don't like it, stay out of it.
Posted by TheSymbiote 2 years ago
TheSymbiote
Da fuq?

Who cares?

Turtles are better than lions. It doesn't really matter :/
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
True