Jonnykelly
AcidicApples

Donald J. Trump Does Not Accurately Represent Conservative Ideology

Jonnykelly

Pro

Political debate regarding current GOP frontrunner Donald J. Trump.

I as pro will be arguing that Donald J. Trump does not accurately represent the Republican Party nor the conservative values associated with it.

By acceptance, Con will be arguing that Donald J. Trump DOES accurately represent the previously stated.

Round one acceptance, round two for opening arguments, rounds three and four for rebuttals.
AcidicApples

Con

I would like to accept this challenge as con and say Donald Trump accurately represents the Republican Party and conservatism.
Jonnykelly

Pro

Jonnykelly forfeited this round.
AcidicApples

Con

AcidicApples forfeited this round.
Jonnykelly

Pro

Apologies for the forfeiture, lots of errors on this site.

Background:

Donald John Trump Sr. is a television personality, businessman, politician, and as of late is a candidate for US Presidency. Since fairly early in the race, Mr. Trump has taken the lead in the GOP primary, holding 30 percent of the Republican vote in many cases. Mr. Trump has attracted such a large cult following that the phenomenon has been labeled "Trumpism". While Mr. Trump does hold more support than any other GOP candidate, and while he is, at this point, poised to take the Republican nomination, Mr. Trump is greatly disliked by many Republicans, typically among the Republican Establishment and the hard-core conservatives.

Arguments:

Donald Trump might be running for US President as a Republican, and he may have more support than the other candidates at this point, but in no way should this man be considered a conservative, and nor should his campaign be considered the face of the Republican presidential bid. The grounds for this stance are based on the great contrast between the values, opinions, and priorities of the conservative movement and those of Mr. Trump. Donald Trump misrepresents the Republican party and conservatism as a whole in his stances on moral issues, economic issues, and his political method.

1. Donald Trump misrepresents the conservative stance on moral issues.
Conservatives pride themselves on standing firm on moral issues: standing against abortion, upholding traditional marriage, promoting the family unit, being harsh on criminals, etc. Donald Trump's opinions on many of these issues are questionable at best, and some are simply contrary to conservative. Mr. Trump has radically changed his stance on abortion: sometimes supporting all abortion, sometimes in favor of restricted abortion, sometimes pro-life. [1] He is willing to alter his views in order to gain votes. On marriage, he is equally willing to flip-flop, sometime being a proponent of traditional marriage, sometimes supporting the homosexual agenda. [2] Mr. Trump will rarely even speak of most moral issues, especially surrounding family issues.

2. Donald Trump misrepresents the conservative stance on economic issues.
Being a business owner, people tend to assume that Mr. Trump would be an accurate representation of conservative economic ideology. This is not the case, as Mr. Trump is all over the board on economic issues. He supports radicalized free market in some cases, but in others he supports liberal policies similar to Obamacare. Sometimes, he seems to hold to the traditional conservative stance on tax, but other times he seems fine with higher spending and taxing. All in all, it is difficult to gauge what Mr. Trump's real stances on economic issues are, seeing as how he changes them so often. This is not the way of the conservative movement.

3. Donald Trump's political methods misrepresent the Republican party and the conservative movement.
Racism, sexism, bigotry, and hate are not the ways of the conservative movement, contrary to popular belief. While Mr. Trump would have us believe that this is the way that the Republican party is, it is not. Republicans (on the whole) have no interest in having things divided between groups. In fact, Republicans very often will favor conservatives of diversity, hence the popularity of Herman Cain, Ben Carson, Carly Fiorina, Ted Cruz, and Marco Rubio. The reason that the majority of our candidates end up being white is because minorities tend to be disproportionately liberal (a debate for a different day). Mr. Trump is not like most Republicans on this matter.

Conclusion:
Almost none of Mr. Trump's ideologies and policies match up with that of mainstream conservatism. He would have us believe that the general populace is in favor of derogatory comments to women and minorities, that we feel building a wall on the border is smart, that wishy-washy economic stances are okay. But the majority of Republicans do not feel this way, and 60-70% of Republicans do not support the man.

http://www.marketwatch.com...
https://www.conservativereview.com...
http://www.ew.com...
AcidicApples

Con

I have absolutely no shame in saying this, but I think you have me beat here. There aren't really many people who agree with me on Donald Trump being conservative and honestly I'm not even sure I believe it myself. That said I don't really think there's any point in continuing the debate. I'm sorry but this topic just doesn't have enough facts or support to get me through even 1 round. Anyway this is what I could scrounge up in my research. :)

Like all things the Republican party is changing. If Donald Trump doesn't accurately represent the conservative ideology then why is he winning? Most of the republican voters are conservative so obviously the man must be too. Donald Trump is as much a conservative as Marco Rubio. His ideas just get masked behind the media, the news and everyone against him. Donald Trump shares many of the same ideas of a previous republican candidate who was favored by the Republican Establishment: Marco Rubio.

They are both agree to stricter punishment, the right to gun ownership, they both disagree with Obamacare, and they both agree with traditional marriage. They both hold to traditional values. The true meaning of being conservative is to hold traditional values which Mr. Trump obviously displays.

Trump is a moderate conservative and that's why people like him so much. If anything he represents most of the Republican Party.

Website used:
http://presidential-candidates.insidegov.com...
Jonnykelly

Pro

Jonnykelly forfeited this round.
AcidicApples

Con

AcidicApples forfeited this round.
Posted by Jonnykelly 11 months ago
Jonnykelly
Apologies for the forfeit, I kept getting the "HTTP 500" Error when I tried to post. This web site is still pretty buggy.