Politics2016
ThinkBig

Donald Trump Would Make a Better President than Hillary Clinton

Updated: 1 month ago Status: Post Voting Period

Politics2016

Pro

I am pro, you are con. I will be arguing that Donald J. Trump will make a better president, and Con will argue that Hillary R. Clinton will make a better president.
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals & 2nd Arguments
Round 4: Rebuttals
Round 5: Closing Arguments
Be polite, debate with dignity, and use proper grammar.
Thanks, and good luck.
ThinkBig

Con

Politics2016

Pro

Opening Argument
Thank you to my opponent for accepting this debate.
The world is in a mess. ISIS runs freely, the economy is stagnant, people are illegally crossing the border, and companies are leaving due to high taxes. The list goes on and on" I believe that Donald J. Trump is the only one who can take us out of this mess, restore America to what it once was, and Make America Great Again.

Trump"s Plan to Grow the Economy
Donald Trump"s plan for the economy includes lowering corporate taxes from 35% to 15%. This will promote small business, therefore allowing them to grow, blossom and create jobs. This will also encourage them to stay here, rather than leave to other countries. He will also reduce the income tax rate, by reducing the brackets to 3 categories:
-12% (for those making less than $75,000 per year)
-25% (for those making less than $250,000, but less than $75,000)
-33% (for those making over $250,000
Donald Trump will implement a temporary moratorium on new regulations, and will determine which regulations are critical to health or safety. The less critical ones will be subject to repealing. He will repeal and replace Obamacare, and allow insurance companies to compete and let businesses decide which plan will be best for their employees. Mr. Trump"s plan also includes regulatory reform and trade reform. I"ll get to that later, in order to move on to other subjects.
Defeating the Islamic State
Donald Trump will be aggressive in his mission to defeat and destroy the Islamic State (ISIS). He will make an effort to work with the United States" Middle Eastern allies to establish joint and coalition strategies to crush ISIS, as well as cutting off their funding, to prevent them from spreading radical Islam. He will strengthen our vetting system and allow only those who share our values into America. He will temporarily suspend immigration from countries in dangerous regions, as well as countries known to have exported terrorism in the past, similar to what President Carter put into place.
Immigration
Donald Trump intends to fight to enforce our current immigration laws, and secure the border by constructing an impenetrable wall along the southern border. He will immediately deport the criminal aliens. All illegal immigrants will be subject to deportation. Not all of them will go out, but the bad ones will immediately leave. He will stop issuing visas to any countries where safe screening and vetting is impossible to occur. He will also reform legal immigration to allow good people in.
If my opponent would please wait at least a day to reply, that would be wonderful. I"ll be busy, and would appreciate him waiting so I will not run out of time for my reply.
ThinkBig

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for providing his opening statements.

I. Framework

One of the most important duties that a citizen has is electing the President of the United States and various other offices on various levels. I believe that we have a moral obligation to support the best candidate for the job. When comparing and contrasting two various candidates, we need to look at the policies that are proposed, their track record, and balance out the pros and cons of each candidate in order to determine who the best candidate is. In order to show that Hillary Clinton is better than Donald Trump, I will be laying out a positive case for Hillary, as well as a negative case for Trump.

II. Stamina

Let's begin with the overall character of the candidates. What type of person is Hillary Clinton? What type of person is Donald J. Trump? This question is important because the president should be someone who can remain calm under pressure, can lead the nation through intense and difficult times, and be prepared to act in a rational manner.

As Senator, Hillary Clinton has demonstrated an ability to work across party lines. Although her health care reform plan failed, she was instrumental in passing the Children's Insurance Program (CHIP), which provides health care for over 8 million children in low-income families [1]. When 9/11 hit, she was on the front line to ensure that 9/11 first responders got the health care that they needed. As The Huffington Post recounts [2]:

"Months after she [Hillary Clinton] was elected, she made sure first responders got the care they needed, as many of them suffered long-lasting health effects from their time at Ground Zero."

She has proven to have the ability to work across party lines. The Dallas Morning News, a conservative newspaper that has endorsed Clinton stated [3]:

"Though conservatives like to paint her as nakedly partisan, on Capitol Hill she gained respect from Republicans for working across the aisle: Two-thirds of her bills had GOP co-sponsors and included common ground with some of Congress' most conservative lawmakers"

On the other hand, Donald Trump has earned a reputation of being crass and unpredictable. He has insulted and mocked a disabled reporter [4] and attacked a Muslim gold-star family. The National Review, a conservative publication, wrote of this incident [5]:

"This is beyond narcissism. I used to think Trump was an eleven-year-old, an undeveloped schoolyard bully. I was off by about ten years. His needs are more primitive, an infantile hunger for approval and praise, a craving that can never be satisfied. He lives in a cocoon of solipsism where the world outside himself has value — indeed exists — only insofar as it sustains and inflates him."

How will Trump's extreme narcissism play out on the global stage? Even though he has no political or military experience, he arrogantly proclaimed that he knows more about ISIS than our generals do [6]. The thought of him ignoring the military's advice and guidance because "Fuhrer Trump knows best" will put the United States in harm's way.

In addition to all of that, Trump has constantly shown on social media that he is incapable of taking responsibility for his own actions. His 3 AM tweets attacking Alicia Machado, and the utter contempt that he has shown towards women and those who disagree with him will not play out well on the global stage.

III. Foreign Policy

As Commander-in-Chief, the president, more than anyone, is directly responsible for our military and for our foreign policy.

Trump has proposed forcing the military to commit war crimes and crimes against humanity. He threatened to kill and torture the family members of terrorists. These would be crimes under the Geneva Convention [7]. If he succeeds in getting the military to carry out his atrocities, this will undoubtedly create even more terrorists and more contempt for the United States.

Hillary Clinton, by contrast, has been one of the most consequential and successful Secretaries of State in US history. During the 2012 conflict between Israel and Hamas, she helped broker a peace deal between the two parties. This has earned her the praise of the Israeli ambassador, as Ha'aretz reports, "[B]ecause of the quick cease-fire, the eight-day conflict was the only one of Israel’s three rounds of fighting with Hamas to not include an Israeli ground operation in Gaza." [8]. Undoubtedly, a lot of lives were saved on both sides.

Clinton's foreign policy experience has proven that she understands the global stage and she has earned the respect of world leaders.

IV. Conclusion

In summary, the choice could not be clearer. Hillary Rodham Clinton has a proven record of leading with grace and dignity, has shown that she has a firm grasp on the issues, understands the issues, and can work across party lines to get things done. Trump's narcissism, as well as his incoherent policies, will do far more harm than good to our country.

The resolution is soundly negated. I urge a vote for con.

V. Sources

1. (http://www.politifact.com...)
2. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com...)
3. (http://www.dallasnews.com...)
4. (www.snopes.com/2016/07/28/donald-trump-criticized-for-mocking-disabled-reporter)
5. (www.nationalreview.com/article/438692/donald-trump-gold-star-family-can-trump-cross-fitness-threshold)
6. (https://www.washingtonpost.com...)
7. (http://www.politifact.com...)
8. (www.haaretz.com/world-news/u-s-election-2016/1.734107)
Politics2016

Pro

Hey, sorry man. My busyness got a little out of hand and I don't quite have the time to participate in this round. I should be able to do the next one though. I'll try to squeeze in some rebuttals along with my 2nd Argument.
Thanks, and God bless.
ThinkBig

Con

Not a problem. I'll waive this round as well.
Politics2016

Pro

Thanks for waiving the last round.
First let me just say that Trump claiming he knows more about the Islamic State than the generals do was just Trump being a flat-out knucklehead. I believe that he was only trying to fire up the crowd and just act like a big tough guy. Since, he has become increasingly more presidential, making less stupid care-free statements, especially in the past 2 months I'd say. And he reversed his position on the killing of the terrorists' families quite a while ago. He says that he realizes that there are laws that govern everybody, and that it was wrong. Plus, he'd never succeed in that anyway.
Okay, on to the 2nd Argument.
On healthcare, Donald Trump has proposed repealing and replacing Obamacare, long before we've started seeing the massive premium hikes. He wants to work with Congress to establish a system that promotes choice, quality, and affordability. He will work with states to ensure care for those who have not had continuous coverage. His plan will allow citizens to purchase coverage across state lines in all 50 states to start a dynamic market. If the purchased plan is approved by state requirements, vendors should be able to sell across states. This will allow full competition, which will reduce the costs and increase customer satisfaction. He will allow individuals to fully deduct their premium prices from their tax returns under the current tax system. And he will review options for Medicaid and work with all of the states to make sure that those who want healthcare can have it.
For education, he will invest into school choice by reprioritizing existing federal dollars. He will give the states the choice to allow this money to go with the student to the school he or she attends. He will start a national goal of providing school choice the the millions of school-age kids living in poverty. He will also work with Congress to make sure that universities and colleges are making a good effort to reduce the cost and student debt in exchange for tax breaks and dollars. Finally, he will make sure that the opportunity to go to a 2-4 year college, or go to trade school, will be easier to pay for, access, and complete.
Constitution, Supreme Court Judges, and 2nd Amendment.
Donald Trump will appoint SCOTUS judges who will uphold our Constitution and laws, and secure the Bill of Rights, especially the rights to free speech, press, religion, and to keep & bear arms.
He will defend the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution. "The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed upon. Period." - Donald Trump
He will enforce the laws to get tough on violent criminals. He will fix the mental health system by expanding treatment programs, and make it easier to take proactive steps to save lives. He will ensure that military bases and recruiting centers are well-armed, and fix the background check system so it will work as it was meant to.
I again ask my opponent, ThinkBig, to wait at least a day to post his arguments.
ThinkBig

Con

Thanks for your reply. In this round, I will focus on pro's opening statements. In the next round, I will defend my statements.

====REBUTTALS====

At first glance, my opponent has provided no sources and no evidence to support his assertions. He needs to explain *HOW* Trump's policies will benefit America and explain *HOW* they are better than Clinton's. Because he has not done so, he has failed to meet his burden of proof. Nevertheless, let's take a closer look at Trump's plan.

I. Trump's Economic Plan

A. Taxes

Trump's tax policy will hurt low-income Americans and will benefit the upper-class. Furthermore, the cuts that he is proposing will cut revenue by more than 4 trillion dollars and increase the deficit. (1 and 2). An analysis by PolitiFact shows that Donald Trump’s tax plan will give the wealthy and corporations "more than the Bush tax cuts by at least a factor of two." (3)

B. Obamacare

Secondly, pro cites that Trump will repeal Obamacare. This can be a debate all by itself. Pro writes, "He will repeal and replace Obamacare, and allow insurance companies to compete and let businesses decide which plan will be best for their employees." This is a bare assertion fallacy. Pro never even gives an alternative to Obamacare.

What would be the effects of repealing Obamacare without any backup plan? According to a report from The Hill, they note that, "If you remove tens of millions of people from the rolls of the insurance carriers because subsidies are eliminated and Medicaid expansion is defunded, if young adults ages 18 to 26 lose coverage, as well as those with pre-existing conditions, where do those who lose coverage go for care? As you might have guessed, it is your local hospital emergency room. This will result in tens of billions of dollars in uncompensated care being provided by our hospitals. Prior to the enactment of ObamaCare, uncompensated care provided by hospitals in our communities was in the range of $75 billion to $125 billion." (4)

Obamacare, like all laws, have its flaws and those flaws should be fixed. We should not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

C. Trade deficit and Deregulation

Pro writes, "Mr. Trump"s plan also includes regulatory reform and trade reform." What are those plans and how will they be beneficial to us? Because pro never provides any answers to this question, his burden of proof has not been met. It is a bare assertion.

II. Islamic State

We have made a lot of progress in regards to the Islamic State. Trump's proposals, however, will hurt the United States and help ISIS. As noted in my opening statements, Trump's proposals incldue violating the Geneva Convention. ISIS has used Trump's statements in recruitment videos. (5)

III. Immigration

One point that I do want to respond to is Pro's assertion that "he will temporarily suspend immigration from countries in dangerous regions, as well as countries known to have exported terrorism in the past, similar to what President Carter put into place." Trump proposes a total ban on Muslims coming into the United States. This is completely different from what Carter did as PolitiFact reports, "Trump's action can't possibly find justification based on such an analogy. Barring all Muslims uses a ridiculously overbroad proxy when viewed either as protecting against danger or as creating a plausible bargaining chip that could get the other side to cease its violations." (6)

Finally, a ban on Muslim immigration is irresponsible and unconstitutional. Muslim Americans have been with us and fought with us in the Revolutionary War. Furthermore, the founding fathers were quite clear in their welcoming of Muslims (7).

Trump proposes to build a wall between America and Mexico, and make Mexico pay for it. How, exactly, will he make Mexico pay for the wall? The cost of the wall will be at least $10 billion, and "at least 1,000 miles would crisscross private land, which would have to be purchased, perhaps by legal force, or financial settlements made with owners. (8) The cost of the wall far outweighs any benefit from it.

Finally, Trump's wall will put the local ecology in danger by blocking the movement of wildlife, destroying their habitat, and destroying the connectivity that animals use to move from one place to another. According to a BBC report, "A complete barrier could lead to a loss of local species - or even to speciation, the creation of new, distinct species as a result of populations being separated. " (9) Either way, Trump's wall would be costly and harmful to us.

I now turn this debate over to Pro.

IV. Sources

1. (https://www.washingtonpost.com...)
2. (http://money.cnn.com...)
3. (http://www.politifact.com...-/)
4. (http://thehill.com...)
5. (http://www.politifact.com...)
6. (http://www.politifact.com...-/)
7. (https://www.washingtonpost.com...)
8. (http://www.bbc.com...)
9. (http://www.bbc.com...)
Politics2016

Pro

Due to my increasingly tight schedule, I'll forfeit this last round. We'll restart soon, maybe even after the election.
Thanks.
ThinkBig

Con

We've agreed to restart this debate at a later time. Please do not vote.

I'm looking forward to finishing the debate.
Posted by Politics2016 1 month ago
Politics2016
Since we're both waiving, plus the 3rd round, I'd say no voting since it's incomplete.
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
Sounds good. I'll just wait a few days. Should people vote on this debate or not?
Posted by Politics2016 1 month ago
Politics2016
Well, since we're restarting, maybe just waive the last round, then we go again later?
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
I'll post my response in a day or two, or do you just forfeit this entire debate?
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
Anytime
Posted by Politics2016 1 month ago
Politics2016
Thanks man.
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
Once you're ready, let me know. I'll PM you and airmax. You will confirm by replying in the PM and he'll restart. You can then re-issue me the challenge.
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
that's ok with me.
Posted by Politics2016 1 month ago
Politics2016
Oh. Alright, I'll forfeit this and we can start it back up. I might only have enough time a few weeks after the election. That alright with you?
Posted by ThinkBig 1 month ago
ThinkBig
Airmax1227 is the moderator of this site.