17mndonahue
PossieTV

Donald Trump for President

PossieTV

17mndonahue

Con

Donald Trump would be a horrible President and if you think that I am going to give you why here you are wrong...I am not going to give everything away.. If you want to know why I think this.. Debate with me
PossieTV

Pro

First of all, I would like to thank the con for opening this debate. I look forward to a fun competitive debate.

Before beginning this debate I would like to clarify something. In no point will I be offering my own personal endorsement for any candidate, Democratic or Republican. I will be arguing from an objective stance that Donald Trump is not only qualified for the position of Commander in Chief but he would make a decent president.

I would like to begin my opening statement by asking the con to avoid 'ad hominem attacks' [1] on Donald Trump. These attacks include calling him names (sexist, islamophobic, xenophobic, etc) without a) proving that he is in fact the name you call him and b) demonstrating why it matters in his election as president. (For example don't just call him sexist without proving he actually is sexist and showing logically that his sexism would affect his role as Commander in Chief). I, of course, write this intending no offense to the con. It is just that when arguing against a Donald Trump presidency, most people resort to these types of attacks.

Now, on to the debate.

First of all, Donald Trump understands economics. I feel this to be a fairly obvious fact. Donald Trump has a degree in economics and has been running one of the world most successful companies since 1975. [2] He understand business extremely well and would be good for united states economy.

Second. Donald Trump would be extremely vigilant in pursuing national security. First, I'll reference his Muslim ban. Let's understand what this means real quick. It does not mean that no Muslim will ever enter our country ever again. If I understand his proposal well, he is proposing that he put a temporary ban on Muslim travel to the United States "until our country"s representatives can figure out what is going on." [3] I take this to mean until we can figure out a good enough vetting process for Muslim immigrants. Regardless of your opinion on the ban, radical Islamic terrorism is a problem in the world. Not every Muslim is a terrorist but every sing radical Islamic terrorist is a Muslim and we need to be cautious. If we don't want another 9-11 or a Paris type situation in America, we need to put peoples feelings aside for a second and focus on national security. While Trump's proposal may seem a little extreme, it would definitely get the job done.

Third. I would like to reference Mr. Trump's border proposal. I believe that illegal immigration hurts the United States for two reasons. First of all, workers coming in illegally would not necessarily steal job from US citizens like some would say. They would, however, undercut wages for all workers. Illegal immigrants come over here and will often work for less than the going rate, thereby lowering wages for certain jobs. Secondly, they undermine our immigration system which works pretty well. Our country does not have that complicated of an immigration process. It's simple enough for a person to go through. By coming into our country illegally and being accepted undermines the value of actually following the proper immigration policies. While I don't know if Mr. Trump's wall proposal would necessarily work, he does recognize the need for tighter border control.

Resources
----------------
1. http://www.logicallyfallacious.com...
2. http://www.encyclopedia.com...
3. http://thinkprogress.org...
17mndonahue

Con

17mndonahue forfeited this round.
PossieTV

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this round so I have nothing to say here. My argument can be read in R1.
17mndonahue

Con

17mndonahue forfeited this round.
PossieTV

Pro

My opponent has again forfeited this round. My argument can be read in R1
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
17mndonahuePossieTVTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture