Donald Trump should not be trusted to uphold conservative policies.

Donald Trump: "...the presumptive nominee of the Republican Party for President of the United States in the 2016 election."

Trust: "...confident expectation of something...".

Uphold: " support or defend...".

Conservative: "The principles and policies of a Conservative party." i.e. Referring to the Conservative Party of the United States of America.

Policies: "A high-level overall plan embracing the general goals and acceptable procedures especially of a governmental body."

1st round: Simply greetings and acceptance (i.e. Opponent agrees to the debate and terms of the debate).
2nd round: Main arguments only.
3rd round: Rebuttals/counters/additional points.

- No abuse of semantics.
(This is standard since I gave definitions)
-No trolling.
- A forfeit is an automatic loss.
-Cite sources.

Yes he should because he will influence it on forgien countrys

I actually considered voting for Trump till I realized how untrustworthy he actually is. I really don’t like Hillary though either, so I guess I just won’t vote. Also, thank you for accepting this debate and hope we have a good one.

Donald Trump’s record shows that he has not consistently been upholding conservative parties or conservative policies.

Trump may be discussing conservative policies now, but for what reason should people trust him to keep his promises? For all we know, he could merely be using the hopes and fears of his audience in order to garner their support. This would be equivalent to a populist, which is “...a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people.” Donald Trump does many things in order to appeal to the public, from the way he speaks like a “common man” to boasting that he is a billionaire.

Take for instance his grand promise that he will build a wall comparable to the size of the Great Wall of China and that Mexico would pay for it. This is virtually an impossible feat since Mexico is a sovereign nation and its officials have denounced Trump’s claims that they will pay for it. Trump also claims he will be able to deport massive amounts of illegal immigrants from the country. How will he do all of these amazing feats though?

He has not given any information concerning these promises that we can trust beyond a reasonable doubt. It is uncertain that he does not have some other political agenda for when he becomes president, begging the question of whether or not he will actually uphold conservative policies.

Trump has made a number of controversial statements regarding his position in politics.

(Reading these made me cringe upon thinking this man could be our next president)

“I’m a registered Republican. I’m a pretty conservative guy. I’m somewhat liberal on social issues, especially health care.” (October 8, 1999)

“You’d be shocked if I said that in many cases I probably identify more as a Democrat.” (March 21, 2004)

“I’ve actually been an activist Democrat and Republican.” (October 8, 1999)

“I’m totally pro-choice.” [Stance on abortion] (October 31, 1999)

“Look, I’m very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion.” (October 24, 1999)

-All of these statements from Trump point to one conclusion: Donald Trump cannot hold a firm stance on conservative issues. He said in the last quote that he was “very pro-choice” but then he says he hates the “concept of abortion”. This is self-contradictory because pro-choice refers to advocating legalized abortion and yet Trump says he hates it. Being pro-life, which is the opposite of pro-choice, is a conservative policy and he has essentially expressed that he is against this policy.

Donald Trump has been a strong financial supporter of democrats.

“Between 1989 and 2010, The Donald gave $314,300 to Democratic groups and candidates and $290,600 to Republicans…”.

-This not only shows that he gave significant amounts of money to democrats, it shows that he gave even more money to Democrats over Republicans. Why did he give more money to Democrats than Republicans if he currently claims that he is a conservative?

“A large share of Trump’s donations to Democrats were given to congressional committees dedicated specifically to gaining majority control of Congress. And that they did.”

-Clearly, Donald Trump was a key supporter of the Democratic party and was not donating to the party merely for charity purposes. There must have been a distinct incentive for him to make such donations. But what could that be?

In a 2011 Fox News Interview, in response to a question concerning his large donations to democrats, Trump said this:

“Everyone’s what am I going to do — contribute to Republicans?...
I’m not stupid,” he said then. “Am I going to contribute to Republicans for my whole life when they get heat when they run against some Democrat and the most they can get is one percent of the vote?”

-First of all, how would it make sense to give this answer if he is currently advocating for conservative policies as the Republican presidential nominee? He’s going to give Democrats money simply because it would be more likely that they would win? That’s absurd. If he actually supported conservative policies, then he would not have given Democrats money even if Republicans would only get one percent of the vote.

-If there could be one possible reason for him to give the Democrats money over Republicans, it would be that he was lobbying for political influence within congress. If that is the case, then it just shows that he would sell out conservatism when it would be convenient for him to do so.

Donald Trump once criticized Mitt Romney for being “too harsh” on immigration.

“He had a crazy policy of self deportation which was maniacal,” Trump said….Illegal immigrants without job prospects would eventually return to their home countries, Romney claimed.”

-Mitt Romney’s policy on immigration was known as “self deportation”.In contrast throughout his presidential campaign, Trump has consistently promised that he would deport all of the illegal immigrants in the United States. Arguably, Trump has a harsher stance on immigration than Mitt Romney did since his policy involves taking illegal immigrants from their homes and exiling them.

There is much more that I could argue, but I’m going to let my opponent make an argument before going any further.

Bottom line: Conservatives should not trust this man to uphold conservative policies.

yish forfeited this round.

Well, since my opponent forfeited, that means I win the debate by default according to the rules.

Oh well.

yish forfeited this round.
Posted by Meropenem777 5 months ago
You going to post an argument soon? you have only 4 hours left.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 5 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff many times, so conduct to Pro.