ChadIrvin
oscarclem7

Donald Trump won the presidential election because of racism.

oscarclem7 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

ChadIrvin

Con

I will be arguing against the idea that Donald Trump won the presidential election because America is full of white racists and that Donald Trump himself is racist.

Round 1) Acceptance of debate.

Round 2) Opening arguments.

Round 3) Rebuttals and further arguments.

Round 4) Further arguments and closing statements.
oscarclem7

Pro

I accept. Good luck!
ChadIrvin

Con

I'll start off by saying I look forward to debating this topic with my challenger. I look forward to a civil debate.

I'd like to begin the debate by stating that while I have supported Trump in the general election, I did not support him in the primaries. The fact I supported him in the general election was largely due to the fact he was running against Hillary Clinton and I had no intention of supporting her for president.

I hear and read it all the time; "Donald Trump won this election due in large part to the rampant racism in this country. And the 'evil' and angry white man voted against Hillary and the vote for women."

This is absolutely ridiculous and I can argue that fact overwhelmingly.

The issues I personally have with Trump has nothing to do with race. The issues the majority of white men have with Trump has nothing to do with race. Supporting a candidate based on race rarely comes into play for the overwhelming majority of Americans, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, or any other minority not mentioned.

In the next round, I will prove that Donald Trump did not win this election due to racism or just "a bunch of racist rednecks who hate blacks and women." I will prove that he did not win because America doesn't want a woman president.

I will prove that many minorities that voted for Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012, voted for Trump in 2016 and therefore allowing him to win this election.

I look forward to hearing your opening statement and later your arguments and rebuttals.
oscarclem7

Pro

First of all, I don't wish to cause any offence in my arguments. I don't have anything against the people who voted for Trump, I myself preferred him over Hillary. I joined this debate with haste because I wanted to debate the issue. In doing so I didn't realise the instigator was con, so I must confess I accidentally joined the wrong side and personally agree with ChadIrvin. Nonetheless, I will debate the affirmative side to the best of my ability and do my best to see both sides of the issue.

My arguments will revolve around the fact that average, working class (white) Americans feel as though their situations aren't ideal. They are losing low-skilled jobs to countries like China and Mexico with cheap labour as a result of globalisation. This starts a mindset that white people are 'losing' to other races and deserve to be treated above them, as they are the majority and came to America first. This, by definition, is racist- putting one race's needs above another and viewing the world in a racially segregated way, one race vs. another. The mindset of these people is difficult to break down because isn't one of factuality, rationality or clarity, but simply of resentment to people different to them. So, these people are 'racist' by definition and America is 'full of them', as the working class (many of whom resent other races) is estimated at around 45%. This factually proves the statement.

You have said candidates aren't elected on racist beliefs, but Trump won because the working class didn't like the status quo, and racial resentment is largely behind that.
ChadIrvin

Con

Since pro agrees with my sentiments, there isn't much room for debate. However, I will state a few reasons why I believe the way I do.

Point Number One

In the 2008 and 2012 elections where Barack Obama won both, an overwhelming majority of blacks voted for him. The numbers across the board was above 90% of the black voters voted for him. If the same percentage of blacks voted for Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump would not have won. The same goes for women voters. Donald Trump won the women voters as well.

Point Number Two

The Liberal media and Liberals in general will tell you that Donald Trump is racist because he talked about building a wall on the border of Mexico and the U.S. This is a lie perpetuated by the left to make low information voters and the over all "dumbed-down" Americans believe Trump is truly a racist. They don't want you to believe that a secure border has nothing to do with race and everything to do with keeping a country (in this case the United States) secure from its enemies and continue its success.

Racism is defined as a hatred for another race due to their racial makeup.

"rac"ism
G2;rāG6;sizəm/
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior" -Google definition of racism.

This definition would indicate that Donald Trump wants to build the border wall between Mexico and the United States because he believes whites (Caucasians) are superior to Hispanics (Mexicans). This is not true. What is the duty of the United States government? What is their job?

Well, according to the Constitution, set up by our founding fathers well over 200 years ago, it is to uphold the Constitution and keep the borders safe from enemies both foreign and domestic. Building a border wall would help to stop illegal activities from happening between the two countries, or at the least, slow it down significantly. This includes slowing down, if not stopping completely, the amount of illegal people from crossing.

Donald Trump did not win this election because there were a lot of racist white men voting. No, on the contrary, he won from the combined effort of Conservative Americans, along with Moderate Americans, and even many Democrats who felt betrayed by a man they elected into office twice because he promised a better life and a better country. It didn't happen.
Posted by John_C_1812 1 year ago
John_C_1812
The basic concept Chadirvin is that a test was publicly held on a Constitutional Amendment using a Vote. Note Prejudice or Racism as it may be described.
I am looking for the best angle that may provide an exciting and challenging debate. Hope you do not mind.
Posted by ChadIrvin 1 year ago
ChadIrvin
I agree with that, John_C_1812, but it would be too complicated to many if I didn't say "presidential election." It's just generally what we refer to it as. Or GENERAL ELECTION. I suppose I could have called it that and it would resonate with the majority.
Posted by John_C_1812 1 year ago
John_C_1812
I just wanted to add a perspective to the Executive office and the term President of the United States. These are two positions created when forming a separation, just like the two points are created as President elect, and President. President elect is a tested, or untested placement by a democracy before witness. President is a tested, or untested placement, by the person by oath before witnesses.

The description of President of the United States, is by the definition/design describing a man who is in position for all men to represent the United States Constitution. This is confirmed by the Oath a President verbally takes officially before witnesses to preserve, defended, and protect the United States Constitution. To the best of an ability. This Oath can be proved to be a broken or questioned. So the title President is not guaranteed for simply just holding the Executive Office.