Babeslayer
Rational_Thinker9119

Donnie Darko is the best high school movie ever.

Rational_Thinker9119

Babeslayer

Pro

It's the best one for multiple reasons.

You've got a great plot that follows Donnie through high school and this spiritual journey. You've got unique and relatable characters, and some of the best performances of all time. Unlike so many other high school movies, this one gives the viewer genuine emotion, and perplexes them throughout. Is it the best film of all-time? Maybe, but it's certainly the best high school movie of all-time.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Lets take a good look at the argumentation provided by Pro, and see if it actually holds up to critical scrutiny.

Rebutting My Opponent's Argument

"It's the best one for multiple reasons.

You've got a great plot that follows Donnie through high school and this spiritual journey."

According to Pro, a "spiritual journey" scores Donnie Darko some points in the debate. For the sake of argument I am willing to grant this.

"You've got unique and relatable characters, and some of the best performances of all time."

I am only willing to grant one third of this. The characters were unique, but not relatable (one's parent killed her other parent, the teacher has a book room where he talks to students about time travel, a teenager that is insane/ time travelling ect.). Also, the acting was good but there are way too many good movies to put it up there with some of the best performances. Donnie Darko is not up there with Scarface or Gone With The Wind.

"Unlike so many other high school movies, this one gives the viewer genuine emotion, and perplexes them throughout. Is it the best film of all-time? Maybe, but it's certainly the best high school movie of all-time."

The above seems to delve off into a deeper level of subjectiveness, making his argument vague to the point of worthless here.

Better High School Movies Than Donnie Darko

A Rebel Without A Cause

James Dean was the most famous actor of his time, and he is remembered for this movie to this day. His character is more relatable than Donnie Darko as it does not involve being a time traveller or being potentially proper crazy. The "Chicken Run" segment will always be remembered, while Donnie Darko is only a good movie for our time. It is not a timeless classic like A Rebel Without A Cause,

Kids

When it comes to relatabilty, this movie hits right at home. This drama has violence, a good plot, sex, and consequences. This is definitely a cult classic.

The Karate Kid

This is the drama filled story of a high school teen who gets bullied, and learned martial arts. It demonstrates discipline, spirituality, and contains all the the elements of a timeless classic.

Any one of the movies I mentioned is sufficient to negate the resolution.
Babeslayer

Pro

I agree with you that those are great movies, but I don't think they beat Donnie Darko.

On Rebel without a Cause: I agree with you that it's a great film. One of the all-time best. James Dean gives an amazing performance and is very relatable. If Donnie Darko wasn't so mesmerizing and simply unique, I'd say Rebel without a cause was the best.

On Kids: I can say I think we have differing opinion on kids. I thought the movie was cool, but it got a little too harsh with some of the sex and violence. It can be argued that Donnie Darko got harsh at times, but it made up for it with it's clever humour.

On the Karate Kid: Another timeless classic, one of my favorite films, but I can't say it comes as close to Darko as Rebel without a Cause does. I found it to be a tad bit cheesy at times, and I never got that feeling with Donnie Darko. Everything felt kind of normal- at least the high school stuff - like Gretchen and Donnie. I felt their relationship in this movie was easily the most realistic relationship in any high school movie.

I respect your opinion, and am glad I got a sophisticated debater. The main reason I love Donnie Darko so much is how it's one of the few high school films you want answers from, but also don't want answers.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Rebutting My Opponent

This debate really boils down to subjectiveness. I could just simply deny that Donnie Darko is "mesmerizing" and it would be just as objectively valid as the claim that it is. The real devastation to my opponent's case is A Rebel Without A Cause. I truly believe this was the trump card in the debate, because it is hard to argue that a movie like Donnie Darko could surpase a timeless classic like that no matter how unique it may be, or no matter how much my opponent subjectively likes it. Since there are not very many objective ways to judge this debate as far as "best" is concerned, we have to go with the movie that has not just stood the test of time, but probably will stand the test of time in the future. Objectively, and self-evidently, this movie is A Rebel Without A Cause. An objective fact about this movie is that it stars the biggest star of that time, and is the movie that made him famous. Jake Gyllenhaal is not the biggest star of our time, and Donnie Darko did not make him famous. A Rebel Without A Cause grossed grossed $4.6 million and Donnie Darko grossed $4.1 million. This is incredible, as money was worth a lot more back then and A Rebel Without A Cause still comes out victorious.

I respect my opponent's opinion, but positing A Rebel Without A Cause was a trump card. The resolution has been negated.

[1] http://www.emanuellevy.com...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Babeslayer

Pro

You know what? I actually think you're right. I don't think it's the best high school movie, but bringing up Rebel without a Cause was a smart move. It had all the things I said I loved about Donnie Darko's high school aspect (good acting, good story, good characters) but Rebel without a Cause isn't as weird and depressing as Donnie Darko. So, you win. Is that how this site works? I can never tell.
Rational_Thinker9119

Con

Thank you for the honourable concession. It was a good debate indeed.
Vote Placed by airmax1227 3 years ago
airmax1227
BabeslayerRational_Thinker9119Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. Pro should have included an argument about one of the most memorable and best aspects of the film: Michael Andrews/Gary Jules "Mad World" cover.
Vote Placed by Legitdebater 3 years ago
Legitdebater
BabeslayerRational_Thinker9119Tied