avipacman7
LunchTableBoys

Donovan Mitchell: Rookie of the Year 2018

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Started: 9/6/2018 Category: Sports
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Voting Period

avipacman7

Pro

Donovan Mitchell should have won the Rookie of the Year award in the NBA. He was more a more beneficial piece to his team. His offensive, Defensive, And athletic abilities go far beyond what was expected from a player who placed where he did in the draft.
LunchTableBoys

Con

Donovan Mitchell, While a very valuable player, Is incredibly overrated. Ben Simmons deserved the award because his offensive and defensive skill are something that the assignation hasn't seen for years.
avipacman7

Pro

While Ben Simmons is an extremely good player and valuable asset for his team, He was not even a rookie in the 2017-18 season. Ben Simmons was drafted as the 1st overall pick of the 2016 draft. He then proceeded to play for the Philadelphia 76ers during the summer league held in Salt Lake City, Utah. During one of the games, He received a season-ending injury. That sucks. It really does. But he was still on the Philadelphia 76ers for the entire season. He traveled with the team, Sat with the team, He was on the team. He had an entire year of experience of being on an NBA team, He just couldn't participate in games because of his injury. So why, The next season, Is he considered a rookie. He had his rookie year (although it sucked because of his injury), So why give him another?
That is just one argument though. Even if Ben Simmons is technically a rookie (although I don't agree that he should be classified as such) I still believe Donovan's stats were more impressive and he did more for the Utah Jazz than Simmons did for the 76ers.
LunchTableBoys

Con

(Before I begin I realized I misspelled association in my previous argument and I want to fix that real quick. )
While it is true that Simmons' rookie year was not the one he won, That dosent change that when he did win it was his first year. How a players stats can affect a team is mainly opinion, And what isn't opinion is the results. The fact that he was able to win a trophy for something he technically didn't apply for shows the level of skill the association, That he works for, Thinks he has. Who better to judge an employee than their employer?
avipacman7

Pro

"While it is true that Simmons" rookie year was not the one he won, That dosent change that when he did win it was his first year. "

-That statement completely contradicts itself. If it wasn"t his rookie year, It wasn"t his first year.

"How a players stats can affect a team is mainly opinion, And what isn't opinion is the results. "

-I don"t think it"s just an opinion anymore when Donovan Mitchell leads his team from a 19-28 record to a 48-34 record, 5th place in the Western Conference, And two rounds into the playoffs when they weren"t expected to defeat the Thunder. (as opposed to Ben Simmons who was supported by two other top three overall draft picks {Joel Embiid and Markelle Fultz} in the last four years, And who had a 52-30 record, 3rd place in the Eastern Conference, And only made it into the second round of the playoffs when some analysts and experts favored them to make the Finals {round four technically} or even win the NBA Championship this year. )

"The fact that he was able to win a trophy for something he technically didn't apply for shows the level of skill the association, That he works for, Thinks he has. "

-None of the players apply for any of the awards. They"re not scholarships.

"Who better to judge an employee than their employer? "

-Easy answer. The other employees. Those that work and play closest to the them. Who won the NBA Rookie of the Year Player Voting? That"s right. Donovan Mitchell.

https://www. News. Com. Au/sport/american-sports/nba/simmons-snubbed-for-players-rookie-of-the-year/news-story/789faca15118cfe916c40115b5b398dc
LunchTableBoys

Con

I don't think this at all, It wasnt his first year in the league but it was the first year he finished.

The fact that he was able to win a trophy for something he technically didn't apply for shows the level of skill the association, That he works for, Thinks he has. "

In this scenario apply dosen't mean application, It means "match all criteria" which he did not.

("Who better to judge an employee than their employer? "

-Easy answer. The other employees. Those that work and play closest to the them. Who won the NBA Rookie of the Year Player Voting? That"s right. Donovan Mitchell. )

The other players, While very smart when it comes to this game, Are not nearly as qualified as those who actually make the decision. The award is given by a panel of American and Canadian sports writers, Each of which are experts in the field of professional sports analysis. So while the players may have a good understanding of how the game works, They are nowhere near those who analyze their games for a living.
Posted by TilikumsRevenge 1 week ago
TilikumsRevenge
I have to respectfully disagree with Pro, You lost me, Specifically, In round 3. You bring up how well the team performed in the playoffs, The ROY award is based on the regular season. If your argument was Ben Simmons is overvalued i would agree but I do believe he deserved to win the Rookie of the Year. On your argument of Simmons being undeserving because you don't think he should be given an extra year, I am interested to hear your stance on Blake Griffin winning in 2010.

My last issue i have with your argument is that you bring Markelle Fultz into the picture as support when he only played 14 games of the regular season. Someone who misses 68 games of a season is not support. Embiid is Simmons' true support and he was on minute restrictions for a large majority of the year. Simmons held his own whenever Embiid was out. Donovan Mitchell has just as much support and I will lay them out for you. Rudy Gobert, Defensive Player of The Year. Joe Ingles, A major 3 point threat who had a career year. Lastly, Ricky Rubio, A seasoned veteran with a high Basketball IQ and the ability to distribute the ball effectively.

I agree that Mitchell means a lot to his team, And they would not have been in the position they were in without him. But, On the flip side, I would say that the 76ers would not be the 3 seed without Simmons. Like I said before, I do believe Simmons is overvalued, But his contributions to the team and how his team ended the season leads me to believe he truly deserved it. If NBA awards were truly based on VALUE to the team, Then LeBron would have won the past 4 MVP awards.
Posted by TypeLuo 2 weeks ago
TypeLuo
I don't accept because I agree.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 1 week ago
birdlandmemories
avipacman7LunchTableBoysTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is a difficult debate to judge, for the simple reason Con really never offered up a direct argument as to why Mitchell did not deserve it, and Pro, on the offensive for most of the debate, countered all of Con's points in the 3rd round.
Vote Placed by tejretics 1 week ago
tejretics
avipacman7LunchTableBoysTied
Reasons for voting decision: Disclaimer: I've never followed the NBA, or, really, any sport, so I come to this debate as a completely "clean slate" judge. In any case, this debate boils down to who deserved the Rookie of the Year award more: Donovan Mitchell or Ben Simmons. Pro says two things: (1) That Ben Simmons shouldn't have had this year considered as his rookie year, since he joined the previous year, and that the injury is insufficient criterion for that. (2) Donovan Mitchell contributed more to his team, backing it up with statistics. Con completely drops (2) and focuses on (1), but even on (1), fails to defeat it beyond the bare assertion that this was Ben Simmons's legitimate first year. The next area of clash becomes: who should be the ones selecting ROTY? Pro says it should be the fellow players; Con says experts in the field of sports analysis, who gave it to Ben Mitchell. Neither side sufficiently warrants this clash, which is a wash. Since Pro's point (2) was uncontested, I narrowly vote Pro.