bluesteel
rogerdodger91

Don't Ask Don't Tell Should Be Repealed

bluesteel

Pro

The Debate will concern whether the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy currently implemented in the United States military should be repealed.

My opponent would argue that the policy should not be repealed.

My opponent should post their case in round 1; I will post my response in round 2.
rogerdodger91

Con

In my opinion the dont ask dont tell policy in a way prevents many freedoms any normal gay person would have. For instance, if a gay guy who is in the military is seen walking out of a gay bar, or is at a gay pride rally. Then he could be discharged because of it. In my opinion somebody who is willing to serve this country and die for it should have the respect and right to be who they are. This country is supposed to have justice for all man and woman alike. Being a homosexual is not a choice, just like people dont choose to be heterosexual. In my opinion somebody who is trained to kill terrorists and militants, but is scared of a homosexual is ridiculous. In the army i would imagine that when your on the battlefield somebodies sexual orientation wont come before survival. Now there is a reason that the policy is there. Because homophobia does exist. Im sure that the commanding officers wouldnt want a bunch of gays in their squadrons and if they dont know they are gay, they can treat them like all the other guys without feeling like they are hurting their feelings. Look the point is, if you are woman or a gay guy going into the army and are looking for equal rights and liberty. Expect to take the same abuse as men. I think the army should just stop worrying about sexual orientation so much, its not something worth having your career thrown away for. Its like saying being gay is a bad thing all over again and even justifys it as you are not being an "ideal" american worthy of fighting for the country of "liberty".
bluesteel

Pro

Sorry, this topic is somewhat confusing.

Don't Ask Don't Tell is the current policy in the military that gay service-members may serve as long as they do not "come out."

I am affirming that the above policy should be repealed.
The con (negation) would argue that the policy should not be repealed, meaning that DADT should stay in place.

Pro (me) would argue that not being allowed to "come out" and be who you truly are is dehumanizing and unfair to people who serve this country.

Con (my opponent) would advance arguments such as the classic "unit cohesion" argument touted by military officials.

I don't know if pro/con is a convention on this site, so maybe I assumed something I shouldn't have. Either way, I'd like to debate the side arguing that DADT should be repealed.

We can pretend the previous round did not happen if you'd like to post con arguments in this round.
rogerdodger91

Con

rogerdodger91 forfeited this round.
bluesteel

Pro

I don't really know what to do at this point: it's my first forfeit. I can picture myself 20 years from now being overcome with a fit of nostalgia.

Extend my opponent's case as a reason to vote for my side.

DADT is an unfair and discriminatory policy. Gay people should not be asked to lie about who they are simply to make straight people feel more comfortable.

In addition, a DADT repeal would add significantly to military readiness. It could allow up to 12,500 people to return to the military, many of them direly needed language experts/translators. [1]

Please affirm

[1] http://gaylife.about.com...
rogerdodger91

Con

rogerdodger91 forfeited this round.
bluesteel

Pro

Extend both my and my opponent's case as a reason to vote pro
rogerdodger91

Con

rogerdodger91 forfeited this round.
Posted by bluesteel 3 years ago
bluesteel
Lol, did I seriously just get voted against on a forfeit?
Posted by bluesteel 3 years ago
bluesteel
Lol, hilarious video.

All: please note that I did not know the convention was for the instigator to have the burden of proof. Whoever accepts the challenge can just say "challenge accepted" in round 1, and I'll start the argumentation off in round 2.
Posted by LaissezFaire 3 years ago
LaissezFaire
Vote Placed by J.Kenyon 3 years ago
J.Kenyon
bluesteelrogerdodger91Tied
Vote Placed by grandma-john 3 years ago
grandma-john
bluesteelrogerdodger91Tied
Vote Placed by LaissezFaire 3 years ago
LaissezFaire
bluesteelrogerdodger91Tied