Sitruk39
vardas0antras

"Don't Ask Don't Tell" Should Be Repealed

vardas0antras

Sitruk39

Pro

I believe that "Don't Ask Don't Tell" should be repealed, it is absurd. I will not start my argument yet so I can see what my oppenents oppositions are.
vardas0antras

Con

You as the instigator have the burden of proof so I believe you should begin. In any case I request a late response from my opponent. Thank you.
Sitruk39

Pro

Fair enough, and thank you for accepting this debate.

I am very happy that "Don't Ask Don't Tell" has been repealed. DADT, which is how I will refer to the law for now on, needed to be repealed for the following reasons:

1. Cost: DADT has cost the military between 290 million and to more than half a billion dollars. The money wasted on this program is abosolutely ridiculous. The Military spends $22,000 to $43,000 per person to replace the discharged members under DADT.

2. The US could gain more service members: In time of war the lifted restrictions could attract an estimated 36,700 men and women to active duty and 12,000 more men and women into the guard and reserve.

http://www.examiner.com...

3. DADT hurts women and minorities most: In 2008, 45% of troops discharged under ‘Don't ask, don't tell' were minorities, while minorities were 30% of the service. Women accounted for 34% of the discharges but were 14% of the military.This just shows that DADT hurt the military heavily.

http://www.usatoday.com...

4. A survey of the Afghanistan and Iraq war veterans shows more are comfortable in the presence of lesbians and gays than not: 73% of troops said they were either comfortable or somewhat comfortable with homosexuals. 19% of the troops showed that they were uncomfortable and only 4 percent of those were very uncomfortable.
http://www.americanprogress.org...

5. There is no scientific evidence that there will be harm to unit cohesion: An Air Force Colonel did a careful examination on the topic. He concluded that there was no scientific evidence to support that homosexuals in the military would negatively effect unit cohension.
http://www.ndu.edu...
In Case the above link doesn't work
http://www.nsnetwork.org...

I will now turn this debate over to my oppenent and allow him to state his oppositions.
vardas0antras

Con

::Credits::
Definitions are cited from dictionary.com.

::Definitions::
Should: "must; ought (used to indicate duty, propriety, or expediency): You should not do that."
Repelled: "to refuse to accept or admit; reject: to repel a suggestion."

::Argument 1::
Introduction:
Vito Corleone once said that a man can't be careless, only children and women can. Seeing how you joined only a week ago this simple mistakes is expected - the mistake of not telling that you're referring to a law in the first round. Normally, DDO (debate dot org) users would ignore this but I am that modicum exception:
http://static.seekingalpha.com...
Observation:
Round 1 and the title is used to set up the debate. The title says " 'Don't Ask Don't Tell' Should Be Repealed".
A:The words "Don't Ask Don't Tell" are interestingly quoted but why ? This quotation may refer to some unheard proverb, an idea, a solution or a law.
B:Then he asks for me to give arguments for "Don't ask Don't tell" ; also he says that this thing is "absurd". Now what is "Don't Ask Don't Tell" ?
C:Officially "Don't ask Don't Tell" can be many things ; for convenience I'll say its an idea.
D:In round 2 my opponent applies this idea to law however that doesn't mean that the idea itself should be repealed.
Argument:
An idea just because when applied to specific things doesn't work shouldn't be completely scraped off since there may be other things this idea would work in. This idea may work well in:
A: A survival scenario whereby a man must stay in the shadows at all cost.
B: Something to do with the unknown future or the dark patches of the past.
C: Something I can't conceive at the moment.
Conclusion:
Assuming, this idea does not work in law then it may work in some other things hence we must not repel this idea.

::Argument 2::
Introduction:
I assert that the law that applies this idea isn't necessary worth omission. In certain times, certain things change value. "Don't Ask Don't Tell" discharged openly gay, lesbian and bisexual soldiers now at those times there were some good oppositions to this for example:openly gay and lesbian servicemembers would undermine military readiness, unit cohesion and morale. This theory has been debunked. Nevertheless, at that time this was the truth.
Argument:
People should do what is reasonable and in the past this was reasonable. Obviously, it would be better if they knew the truth but then again it would be better if cavemen knew how to use electricity. Wherefore, just like cavemen used rocks to make fire so did Americans used DADT for military.
Clarification:
In the past there were many options a president could choose and DADT was one of them - at that time this was reasonable.

Thank you and I hope my second argument gave this debate some merit !
Sitruk39

Pro

Sitruk39 forfeited this round.
Sitruk39

Pro

Sitruk39 forfeited this round.
Sitruk39

Pro

Sitruk39 forfeited this round.
Posted by Sitruk39 5 years ago
Sitruk39
I realize that I should have titled this "Don't Ask Don't Tell" should have been repealed, I apologize for my mistake but will keep this debate going arguing for the repeal.
Posted by LaissezFaire 5 years ago
LaissezFaire
I'll take it if you shorten it to 3 or 4 rounds.
Posted by LaissezFaire 5 years ago
LaissezFaire
lol
Posted by bluesteel 5 years ago
bluesteel
Can I take this and argue that it should not be repealed because it already has been?
Vote Placed by FREEDO 5 years ago
FREEDO
Sitruk39vardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
Sitruk39vardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 5 years ago
Koopin
Sitruk39vardas0antrasTied