student2493
TheSquadBoss

"Don't Ask Don't Tell"

Con Tied Pro

student2493

Con

Our country, as a democracy, and the "land of the free" prides itself with providing its citizens with rights to freedom, liberty, and justice. As Americans we have many personal freedoms and we exercise them everyday.The right to freedom of speech, one of the most commonly practiced freedoms, is key to a democratic establishment. Public opinion is what our country should be built from and every ones word, vote, or idea counts. Although we may not all agree, we must learn to coexist with one another and take into perspective others personal beliefs and life styles. But in our own military, our soldiers have a limited set of rights. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" a policy that began in 1993, started by Bill Clinton as a compromise to not allowing openly gay men and lesbian women to serve in the military. "Don't Ask Don't Tell" means the military may not question or investigate your sexual orientation unless you give them reason too and in that case they may investigate the evidence and will discharge you depending on your verdict. The policy infringes upon the individuals freedom to express themselves publicly and eliminates the beauty of a democracy that they dedicate their lives to protecting.
TheSquadBoss

Pro

I thank my opponent for crafting an interesting topic.

Today we will be debatring the "Don't ask don't tell" millitary policy. As the Pro side I firmly belive that this policy is both nessacary and within the lines of our freedom.

My first contention is that the millitary isn't a place to discuss sexuality anyway. The military is a body of people who fight in order to deffend our country. Why should our soldiers be disscussing there sexual prefference anyway? In the millitary sexual preffernce is irrelevant and distracts our fighters from their goals.

My second contention is that don't ask don't tell is the best solution. Some people are extremely offended with homosexuality. I personally belive this is wrong never the less it occurs. With don't ask don't tell becuase your sexual prefference is never revealed and there fore nobody get's hurt. People with problems with homosexuality don't get mad and homosexuals don't get offended either. Don't ask don't tell is really a perfect scenario.

I urge all parties voting to vote for the Pro side of this debate.
student2493

Con

student2493 forfeited this round.
TheSquadBoss

Pro

I agree with what I said earlier. The millitary is no place for discussion about sexual prefference anyway. Don't ask Don't Tell is a perfect way to make sure nobody gets offended.

Please vote Pro
student2493

Con

student2493 forfeited this round.
TheSquadBoss

Pro

To bad my opponent hasn't responded. I extend my earlier points....
student2493

Con

student2493 forfeited this round.
TheSquadBoss

Pro

TheSquadBoss forfeited this round.
student2493

Con

student2493 forfeited this round.
TheSquadBoss

Pro

TheSquadBoss forfeited this round.
Posted by student2493 6 years ago
student2493
This is actually my intro paragraph for a argument paper.
The theme was "freedom of expression of public opinion fosters democratic values".
How can we have a democracy with out freedom of expression?
I just posted it on here for feedback, thanks! Your comments have been (somewhat) helpful.
Posted by blackhawk1331 6 years ago
blackhawk1331
First of all, don't whine about DANT because anyone in the military is there voluntarily, so they have accepted the DADT policy.
Next, that policy is in place so that people from areas that don't accept gays period won't beat the s**t out of them for being gay.
Posted by darkkermit 6 years ago
darkkermit
Yea, you have a point government_kill. If the policy was "gays should not be in the military". Then con can state that "nobody should be in the military" would be a sound debating point. However, since the "don't ask don't tell" doesn't mean that pursue, you can't use it.
Posted by governments_kill 6 years ago
governments_kill
I totally want to do what darkkermit said but I can't think of a way where that's mutually exclusive from the proposition. After all, if the military doesn't exist how am I affirming a policy that is military specific.
Posted by Sniperjake1994 6 years ago
Sniperjake1994
change the debate rounds to 3 and i'll accept
Posted by Woodycanuck 6 years ago
Woodycanuck
I think the only reasonable Con argument is that by joining the military, certain "rights" are abdicated, including freedom of expression. If you could show, say, that the use of military courts that override the normal judicial process are not unconstitutional (or at least that it's ok even if unconstitutional), then you would have a precedent.

However, since I agree that DADT is just bad policy in general, I won't take the Con position. If the resolution is tightened to simply "DADT is unconstitutional and should be repealed on that basis alone"... I might be game.
Posted by darkkermit 6 years ago
darkkermit
I was planning to play devil's advocate and challenge this based on military morale and unit cohesion. However, I wasn't able to find a study that proves this, and studies show this to be false.

Perhaps someone might some fun with this and challenge "don't ask don't tell" by stating that the military should not exist to begin with.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
student2493TheSquadBossTied
Reasons for voting decision: Actually had arguments and did not forfeit