Random_Man_57
socialpinko

Doom is one of the best games ever made

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Random_Man_57

Pro

Doom is one of the best games ever made because 1: It made shooters famous. 2: It has a variety of enemies. 3: It has a variety of maps.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________My opponent must make an argument stating that this game isnt very good.
socialpinko

Con

Contention #1

It made shooters famous.
======================

Making something famous is not necessarily a positive. Hitler made Nazis famous, Satan made evil famous, and Osama Bin Laden made Islamic Jihadists famous. The act of making something famous on it's own does not necessarily make something "one of the best games ever made".

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Contention #2

It has a variety of enemies.
==================

Variety also does not necessarily entail something being the best. There are a variety of ways to torture someone and a variety of ways to make a bomb. Again, this quality on it's own does not make something the best.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Contention #3

It has a variety of maps.
================

I'm afraid you must clarify on this specific contention and show why the fact that the game DOOM has a variety of maps makes it one of the best games ever made. Does it have the most maps of any game ever made? You must provide more details if I am to refute this claim.
Random_Man_57

Pro

It made shooters famous: True, but it was famous for a good reason. It had smooth gamplay (by smooth, I mean less stiff feeling than Wolfenstein 3D), you could use elevators, steps, fall, etc because of the new and improved engine, and it had the best graphics available at it's time.
It had a variety of enemies: True again, but would anyone realy buy a game for $10.00 if it had 1 or 2 enemies throughout the entire game? Id software put in all the monsters to chalenge people so it wouldnt be very repetitve.
It had a variety of maps: Yes but in this case, variety is good. For example if Doom 1 only had 6 levels, Im pretty sure nobody would buy the game. When everybody beat all 27 levels, there were people requsting more maps. So Id software released Ultimate doom, with 9 more levels that made the prequel of Doom 2: Hell on Earth.
socialpinko

Con

"It made shooters famous: True, but it was famous for a good reason. It had smooth gamplay (by smooth, I mean less stiff feeling than Wolfenstein 3D), you could use elevators, steps, fall, etc because of the new and improved engine, and it had the best graphics available at it's time."

"The game is good because it's less bad then Wolfstein 3D? You cannot use as a merit for a game that it's not as sucky as some other game. And it had the best graphics available at the time? This debate is not about whether or not DOOM was the best game of the time, it is about whether DOOM is the best game ever made. Obviously compared to DOOM any game today would seem to have much better graphics or work much smoother. To name a few, any of the Halos.
It had a variety of maps: Yes but in this case, variety is good. For example if Doom 1 only had 6 levels, Im pretty sure nobody would buy the game. When everybody beat all 27 levels, there were people requsting more maps. So Id software released Ultimate doom, with 9 more levels that made the prequel of Doom 2: Hell on Earth."

You seem to believe that a game is good if a lot of people buy it. Popularity of course does not imply quality. Hitler was popular. Does that automatically mean that he was a cool guy? Of course not.
Random_Man_57

Pro

Okay you got me at the "popularity doesn't imply quality" thing but there's a difference between Adolf Hitler and Doom. No one is going to shoot you if you hate Hitler (lets pretend you hated openly and you lived in 1940. Im pretty sure the German oficials were going to execute you publicly. And some people still execute people for hating Hitler today [privately]) . And sure, graphics are important but aren't that important. And Doom was popular for yet another reason. Game play. For what Id couldnt give, the fans made.Fans mad countless wads such as: Ailen Vendetta, Psycophobia, etc. And there's no "Your mission is to blah blah blah this blah blah blah that..." And the game had puzzles sometimes you had to solve to get secrets that help you. Today, there arent that many shooters with puzzles in them. This is why Doom is the best game ever made. And by the way this whole thing was ment to be compared with other video games. Sorry if i didn't make it clear.
socialpinko

Con

"Okay you got me at the "popularity doesn't imply quality" thing but there's a difference between Adolf Hitler and Doom."

Yes, there is a difference but that is not what is being debated about. You brought DOOM's popularity as a reason for it being the one of the best games ever made and I countered by showing that just because something is popular does not mean it is the best, great, or even good.

Your statements about being shot if one disagrees with Hitler are, while sad, irrelevant. I made the point to respond to your popularity contention. I was not denying that Hitler was a terrible guy.

"And sure, graphics are important but aren't that important."

This is the only point in the last round where you mentioned graphics and you have conceded that point. You brought graphics as a reason for DOOM being one of the best games ever made and when I showed that there were games with better graphic quality you simply dropped the point completely.

"Doom was popular for yet another reason. Game play."

This is abuse in that you posted a new argument in the last round. This reason should be discarded but to those who may disagree that it is abuse, I will nevertheless respond to and refute this argument.

You have not really gone into much detail about the gameplay of DOOM and why it is so much better then any other game. I will respond to the details you did specify.

"Fans mad countless wads such as: Ailen Vendetta, Psycophobia, etc"

I must admit I am a bit confused. You have not actually clarified on what the definition of a 'wad' is in this context. I looked up what a 'wad' was and apparently a wad is "package files for the video game Doom or its sequel Doom II, that contain sprites, levels, and game data.".

This fact certainly would help if the debate was that DOOM was a very popular game but how does it reinforce the contention that DOOM was the BEST game? All this shows is that people really enjoy playing the game DOOM. And as I brought up last round and as you conceded, popularity does not imply quality.

"And the game had puzzles sometimes you had to solve to get secrets that help you. Today, there arent that many shooters with puzzles in them."

You did not specify on why puzzles are indicative of one of the best games ever made. I have multiple apps on my itouch that have puzzles but they aren't even in the running for best game. So the point that most games don't have puzzles anymore is both not backed up and not relevant.

"And by the way this whole thing was ment to be compared with other video games. Sorry if i didn't make it clear."

I sincerely apologize for the mix up. I honestly don't play video games much but I love to debate. Good luck to my opponent in the voting period. Vote Con.
Posted by Random_Man_57 5 years ago
Random_Man_57
I have the iPod version of doom myself.
Posted by CiRrK 5 years ago
CiRrK
aww socialpinko you ruined the point of the debate : (
Posted by tornshoe92 5 years ago
tornshoe92
You can get the original Doom on the itouch for $6.00. I got it and it's hella fun and nostalgic. It even uses the same cheats as the original pc version (iddqd, etc.).
Posted by Random_Man_57 5 years ago
Random_Man_57
Doom was an epic game. The only place where you can find the newest version is on Xbox. And they dont even have any of the popular wads like: Alien Vendetta, Doom Legacy (makes grapics better, now you can look up and down, when an enemy dies their ammo jumps up then lands), they dont even have that one wad where you can make tournaments and make monsters (or clones of YOU THE PLAYER) fight eachother. At least they should put the boombox in that plays rickroller.
Posted by tvellalott 5 years ago
tvellalott
I got so good at Doom I could activate all the enemies in certain levels on the hardest difficulty at the same time and just run around dodging them, for lulz.

One particular level caused the PSX to crash. One of my most memorable moments in gaming.
Posted by CiRrK 5 years ago
CiRrK
Doom was my first video game ever (age 4) Love it :D
Vote Placed by Gaming_Debater 2 years ago
Gaming_Debater
Random_Man_57socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'm a big fan of doom, but pro's arguments were commpletely subjective.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
Random_Man_57socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: "You seem to believe that a game is good if a lot of people buy it. Popularity of course does not imply quality. Hitler was popular. Does that automatically mean that he was a cool guy?" - people buy games to play them, a high selling volume is a decent metric for quality, people don't buy hitlers to play them.
Vote Placed by RougeFox 5 years ago
RougeFox
Random_Man_57socialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct-pro should have said he wanted a comparison. Spelling/Grammar- pro made a ton of mistakes Arguments- pro didn't make any convincing arguments, he just talked kind of globally about a few things which didn't link back strongly to the topic.