The Instigator
tala00131
Con (against)
Tied
0 Points
The Contender
Nimbus328
Pro (for)
Tied
0 Points

Dose God Exist

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 0 votes the winner is...
It's a Tie!
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 4/1/2013 Category: Religion
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Post Voting Period
Viewed: 549 times Debate No: 31968
Debate Rounds (5)
Comments (8)
Votes (0)

 

tala00131

Con

I will begin my opening statment with six arguments to say that God dose not exist and I will also try to counter some of the arguments that thiests put forword.

Number one improbability: There is no evidience for God, one could give you alot of semi evidence such as the cosmogical argument but there is no physical evidence. Not only is there no evidence for God but it is highly improbable that such a being exists. Think about it someone that is so complex that he can hear all of our prayres at once and read our thoughts ect, has to be much more complex than us therefor making his existence very improbable. Complex beings only come from evolution, complex beings do not simply always exist.

Number two Stupid Design: Most spots in the universe would kill life instintly, pepole say well the forces of nature are just right for life thats just stupid go look at the volume of the universe where you can't live. Most planet orbits are unstable, the star formation is inefficent, we are on a one way expanding universe to nothing, all of the other planets in our solar system are dead. Now let me move on to earth. Volcanos, tusnamis, earth quakes, floods, lightning kill 150,000 pepole each year, there is so much disese, 99.9% of all species to ever live went extinct, it took 3-5 billion years to make multi cellular life.

Number three the problome of evil: There is so much suffering and evil going around the world right now, as we speek one child is dieing every four seconds. 21,000 children around the world die each day. Most children will die before there fith birthday. These are just a few examples of all of the suffering that is going on around the world. If you believe in a good God than you are faced with the problome of why there is so much evil in the world, then pepole say there is so much good in the world and God must have a plan for all of this suffering. If you believe in an evil God then you are faced with the problome of why there is so much good in the world and pepole say well I am sure that God has a plan for all of this good in the world. So either you believe in no God or you believe in an evil God or you believe in a good God. If you believe in no God you are not faced with any problomes, if you believe in a evil God you are faced with the problome of why there is so much good in the world, if you believe in a good God you are faced with the problome of why there is so much evil in the world. Givin all of the evil in the world it is unlikely that a good God exists. Givin all of the good in the world it is unlikely that an evil God exists so it is unlikley that God exists.

Number four God as a crutch: Many pepole today rely on God as an emotinal crutch. For example someone with disies will use God as a crutch to keep them happy. But even thousonds of years ago pepole did not understand how anything work so they said that it must of been Gods that caused everything and created everything. Now most of us know different we know that the sun is a fiery ball of gas and not a chariot riding accross the sky. Not knowing is scary so pepole three thousond years ago had to think that God created everything. Religion was mans attempt to explain everything but now we have science, we do not need religion. Science dose not know everything such as the origin of life but they are working on it. We know that all species are decendents of other species. Three thousond years ago pepole thought that lighting was caused by God because they did not know what lighting was so they thought God caused it. My conclusion for this argument is that pepole thousonds of years ago believed in God because they did not understand anything.

Number five minds without brains: Most theists say that God is simply spirit, they say that he is a mind without a brain. But this dose not make sense, we have seen no evidience that a mind can be produced without a brain. Brains produce minds and all of the elements that make up a brain are found in stars so if God is a mind without a brain how could God exist before stars? We have not seen any example of a mind existing without a brain so I find it hard to believe that God exists without a brain. So if my opponent is going to say that God exists he is going to have to prove that a mind can exist without a brain.

Number five: Existing outside of time: Thiests say that God exists outside of time and space. The key word they are using is exist for something to exist it has to occupy time and space, so how could God exist if he is outside of time and space. It is not possible for something to exist outside of time. Pepole say that God is eternal and he exists outside of space, but this dose not make any sense. For something to exist it must occupy time and space if something dose not occupy time and space it dose not exist.

Arguments against thiesm arguments:

The Cosmological Argument: Many belivers in God say that the universe could not exist without a God. I think that this is a weak argument because you can't say that just because we don't yet understand how the universe came into existence it must be God. If believers in God are going to say that the cosmological argument is correct than first they must prove that God exists, than they must prove that God created the universe.

The Teleological Argument: Please read my second argument

The Moral Argument: Many pepole say that if there is no God then there is no morality. This is wrong. Right and wrong do not exist it is something that changes over time. We do not believe that men can beat and rape their wives but that was acceptable 3000 years ago and thats what it says in the bible.

http://www.globalissues.org.........

http://www.youtube.com.........#
Nimbus328

Pro

First point. My opponent should have checked the spelling of the post before sending it. Debates are graded by proper spelling and grammar. By my count there are 53 errors in the title and Round 1 argument, this includes the title "Dose God Exist" rather than "Does God Exist"

This is the complete list of misspellings from the original post.
1. Dose
2. statment
3. thiests
4. forword
5. evidience
6. alot
7. cosmogical
8. prayres
9. ect
10. therefor
11. instintly
12. pepole
13. thats
14. inefficent
15. tusnamis
16. pepole
17. disese
18. problome
19. speek
20. dieing
21. problome
22. pepole
23. problome
24. pepole
25. problomes
26. problome
27. problome
28. Givin
29. unlikley
30. pepole
31. emotinal
32. disies
33. thousonds
34. pepole
35. accross
36. pepole
37. thousond
38. mans
39. dose
40. decendents
41. thousond
42. pepole
43. thousonds
44. dose
45. evidience
46. Thiests
47. Pepole
48. dose
49. dose
50. dose
51. thiesm
52. belivers
53. pepole
54. thats

Rebuttals

>> Improbability: There is no evidence for God

My opponent uses Evolution as a replacement for God, this does not mean that God did not start the process.

>> Number two Stupid Design: Most spots in the universe would kill life instantly

Earth is made as a safe haven. Earth is a practice run, and the New Earth will be even better.

>> Most planet orbits are unstable

On the contrary, all the RELEVANT planetary orbits are stable. You don't see Mars crashing into the Earth, for example.

>> The star formation is inefficient

There is one star that counts, and that is Sol, the Sun. Why should we care what God is doing with the rest of the universe?

>> Volcanos, tusnamis, earth quakes, floods, lightning kill 150,000 pepole each year

The alternative is no water, no atmosphere, no rainfall, to start.

>> 99.9% of all species to ever live went extinct, it took 3-5 billion years to make multi cellular life

God's timing is not our timing, God's ways are not our ways. To God, a billion years is a second, and a second is a billion years.

>> Number three the problem of evil

Mankind is faced with a choice: Good vs Evil. Many chose good, more chose evil. Both choices are necessary to allow the spirit of each person to develop to their fullest potential in the next life.

>> If you believe in a good God than you are faced with the problem of why there is so much evil in the world, then pepole say there is so much good in the world and God must have a plan for all of this suffering.

This is a run-on sentence. It also needs no refutation, as the comment following the comma refutes the statement preceding the comma.

>> Number four God as a crutch

Mankind is created incomplete. Without God, there is no purpose to life. With God, lives are longer and more fulfilling.

>> But even thousonds of years ago pepole did not understand how anything work so they said that it must of been Gods that caused everything and created everything. Now most of us know different we know that the sun is a fiery ball of gas and not a chariot riding accross the sky.

There are still people who believe in God that believe in what you claim. This may not be an accurate picture of God, but it shows mankind's knowledge of a higher power.

This desire to believe in the existence of God is reflected in every culture on the planet. Atheism is a new trend, and is very small.

By popular vote, God exists.

>> Number five minds without brains: Most theists say that God is simply spirit

Every living thing has a spirit. One could point to the trees. They grieve when cut, their sap flows free, and the wounds heal over time. Trees have no brain.

Also, people see spirits of their ancestors. These spirits have no brains.

>> Number five: Existing outside of time: Thiests say that God exists outside of time and space

Of course. Even an elementary student knows what a timeline is. We exist outside the print and paper that the timeline is written on. In a similar manner, God looks at the world as a timeline. He holds the beginning and the end, existing at all points in the timeline at once.

This also explains how God knows the future: he is present in the future as much as he is present now.

In conclusion, I would like to point out that people who do not believe in God are lonely.
Debate Round No. 1
tala00131

Con

tala00131 forfeited this round.
Nimbus328

Pro

Thank you for reading.
Debate Round No. 2
tala00131

Con

tala00131 forfeited this round.
Nimbus328

Pro

It's been a good debate.
Debate Round No. 3
tala00131

Con

tala00131 forfeited this round.
Nimbus328

Pro

Nimbus328 forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 4
tala00131

Con

tala00131 forfeited this round.
Nimbus328

Pro

Nimbus328 forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 5
8 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 1 through 8 records.
Posted by qopel 3 years ago
qopel
Because these studies are observational studies (studies that simply watch what happens in the real world without actively controlling any of the conditions or randomizing the participants), it cannot be said that religious attendance increases life expectancy or that it doesn't. We can only conclude that there is an association between religious attendance and increased life expectancy. They are linked, but we don't know why.
There could be a different reason to explain the life expectancy outcome in the study. In fact, other studies have shown that people who regularly attend religious services may be more likely to be employed, to have larger social networks, to be more positive, to live in intact families and to not be experiencing disabling illness. Any of these factors could explain the difference in life expectancy observed in this study.
Posted by qopel 3 years ago
qopel
Um, that study is about attending religious services, not believing in God.
I bet people who socialize by attending any meeting live longer.
So the "with God" argument is BS.
Posted by qopel 3 years ago
qopel
I take offense to things like "With God, lives are longer and more fulfilling."
and "people who do not believe in God are lonely".

First off, that's not true. That's very offensive to Atheists.

Second, even if it was true, how does that prove there is a God?
Posted by unitedandy 3 years ago
unitedandy
Lol. I assume you mean on the Pro side, because I'm a bit of a broken record with these debates. I also just realised the title is spelt wrong :)
Posted by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
Yes actually, I'll let unitedandy take it. I'd like to see him in a debate on the existence of God.
Posted by unitedandy 3 years ago
unitedandy
Extend to voting period to one month and I'll give it a shot.
Posted by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
I'll take this if it's still here after I've finished with a few of my current debates.
No votes have been placed for this debate.