Sonofkong
twsurber

Dr Stranglove is Stanley Kubrick's best film

Sonofkong

Pro

I am going to challenge my opponent to find a better Kubrick film than 1964's Dr Strangeglove. I put the burden of proof on my opponent and a high affinity for film is a must.
http://m.youtube.com...
I will argue when the time comes.
twsurber

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debate. Traditionally, the burden of proving the resolution always goes to the AFF. I will present my argument in the next round.
Sonofkong

Pro

First I warn my opponent not to choose Eyes Wide Shut as it is the only Kubrick film I can't get my hands on (unless con chooses to do Lolita and in that case good luck.)
For now while I wait for the opposition to pick a film I will tell why my movie is the best.
Story: This is truly a magnificent story. In most comedies plot is an afterthought but considering it was first a drama it's one of the best films of all time. This story is almost themed around miscommunication and really captures the cold war era precautions of every situation and unfortunately Marshall's law comes through for the one situation they couldn't plan for. The characters are vibrant with three sets of stories you get extremely emotionally involved in. My emotions were soaring past the healthful limit while waiting for that bomber to be shot down. Which makes it all the more funnier when it all gets blown to pieces.
Humor: Do you remember those old three stooges episodes where crap gets broken and despite immense pain and injury while these poor beggars try to move a piano you laugh at their misfortune?
This is that with nucleur weapons.
If you don't believe me see the video below.
http://m.youtube.com...
Wait for more.
twsurber

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this debating opportunity. Further, I can appreciate his regard for Stanley Kubrick. Frankly, I had no clue who Stanley Kubrick until I started doing some research.

I stand in negation of the resolution, "Dr Stranglove is Stanley Kubrick's best film."

Contention 1: Subjectivity
There is an old adage that says "One man's junk is another man's treasure." The inverse is also true. While you may have a strong approval rating of the film Dr. Strangelove, another person may have an entirely different opinion and could not be dissuaded without extreme measures. For example, after reviewing the works of Mr Kubrick, I would have to say that Full Metal Jacket is much more entertaining in my opinion.

Contention 2: Award Recognition
Dr Strangelove was nominated for 3 academy awards, as were 3 other of his films. Unfortunately for Dr Strangelove, and your case, the movie "2001 A Space Odyssey" is the only one to actually WIN an academy award. By motion picture standards, this would imply that 2001 A Space Odyssey was the better film.

Further; his film "Barry Lyndon" is the only film to win "Best Film" and Mr Kubrick won the "Best Direction" award for this work. He did not win any awards for "Dr Strangelove."

CONCLUSION:
After pondering and weighing the researched information, the resolution is negated. While I certainly admire my opponent's appreciation for this work, it is merely his personal preference, not that of respected film critics.

I am not convinced that Dr. Strangelove is the best film made by Stanley Kubrick. For these reasons I respectfully request a negative ballot. Thanks

sources: http://en.wikipedia.org...
Sonofkong

Pro

I can't believe it but I believe I have found the most illogical argument ever. My expectation of an argument was from someone who actually watched a Stanley Kubrick film to choose a film and argue the points of it. Please feel free to do so though. Barry Lyndon, Spartacus and several others are available on youtube or netflix instant queue. For the moment I will refute your statements and curse the fact your entire real argument is the last word.

//While you may have a strong approval rating of the film Dr. Strangelove, another person may have an entirely different opinion and could not be dissuaded without extreme measures. For example, after reviewing the works of Mr Kubrick, I would have to say that Full Metal Jacket is much more entertaining in my opinion.//

Although it is true opinion is relative there are some things (especially in film criticism, something I did for a living briefly) that philosophically through aestheticism are better. And sometimes certain views are overall wrong (ex. very few people who think critically and beyond explosions think with praise of Transformers 2.) I think the following quote puts it best.
"Anyone who has sampled Hershey's and Godiva chocolates can tell which is better."
Source: Mental floss's condensed knowledge (book) by various authors

//Dr Strangelove was nominated for 3 academy awards, as were 3 other of his films. Unfortunately for Dr Strangelove, and your case, the movie "2001 A Space Odyssey" is the only one to actually WIN an academy award. By motion picture standards, this would imply that 2001 A Space Odyssey was the better film.//

Contemporary criticism doesn't mean anything. The wizard of Oz at a time got negative reviews and was viewed as unimaginative. Citizen Kane, now considered best film of all time, lost the academy award. Overall Academy Awards are biased by budget, mainstreamness, what was popular back then and are not accurate barometers of quality.
Only two films on your favorite films list won academy awards and one of them was even nominated for two razzies. Several others got "meh"s.

If my con actually watches my chosen film and his, making the opinion that his is better than there is a possiblity for a con vote but until then VOTE PRO.
twsurber

Con

For the sake of my opponent, I will argue the merits of Full Metal Jacket.

STORY
The scenes played by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman are legendary. Many of these lines are still copied and repeated as sound bites. It gave a realistic view of military training, especially in a volatile era, in a non-partisan manner. It explores some of the challenges of various personalities enduring basic training together. From the seemingly incompetence of Private Pyle through the transformation after his "code red" to his near graduation. The eve of graduation shows PVT Pyle losing it, and graphicly blowing away Hartman. For a moment, there is unertainty whether or not he will shoot Joker as well. He opted to spare Joker and turned the M14 on himself.

The movie then fast forwards to Viet Nam where Joker is serving as a reporter for the Stars & Stripes. He reunites with Cowboy. The quote from the crazed doorgunner also remains the punchline of many jokes, "How can you shoot innocent women and children?" "Easy, you just don't lead them as much"

HUMOR:
Lee Emery is among the most popular actors and still appears in film, most recently the Geico commercial.

Leonard "Private Pyle" Lawrence is non other than Vincent d'Onofrio, who plays the lead role as a witty detective in Law & Order Criminal Intent.

VOTING POINTS:
1. That my opponent rejects the opinion of contemporary critics toward his movie selection does not negate the fact they DID choose another movie over his.

2. The best movies are still subjective, and are completely the opinion of the individual. There is no clear objective material to distinguish between which is better. In other words, there is no weighing mechanism. Therefore, it is still undecided as to which Stanley Kubrick film is the best.

3. Based on the above, my opponent has not offered evidence that proves the resolution. I remain unconvinced, as likely other people, that Dr Strangelove is in fact the best movie made by Stanley Kubrick.

4. My arguments were barely touched, while his arguments were inadequate and lacking at best.

For these reasons, I request a negative ballot.

Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Also, even though he did uphold his burden of proof, why would Con have the burden of proof? Very poor debate for Pro, and bad conduct to boot.
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
A Clockwork Orange, 2001, The Shining, in that order.
Posted by Steelerman6794 6 years ago
Steelerman6794
I've always liked The Shining...
Posted by twsurber 6 years ago
twsurber
Son of Kong You stated that you couldn't get your hands on the movie Eyes Wide Shut. Chack out this link from ebay.com http://shop.ebay.com...
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Pro has quite a bit of work to do, and even if he does it all, this is going to be a tough one. I look forward to it!
Vote Placed by belle 6 years ago
belle
SonofkongtwsurberTied
Vote Placed by TUF 6 years ago
TUF
SonofkongtwsurberTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
SonofkongtwsurberTied
Vote Placed by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
SonofkongtwsurberTied