Dragonheart is the best fantasy movie

Started: 4/24/2014 Category: Movies

I argue that Dragonheart is the best fantasy movie. There are three rounds to this debate 1. Elaboration
2. Evidence through links
3. Votes
First off, Dragonheart is the best because it blends comedy, important lessons, family friendliness, good acting, well written script, exciting plot, and several more and it has been around since 1996 and 4 years later spawned an equaly great sequel

I argue that Dragonheart is not the best fantasy movie.

Quality of a movie is a subjective thing. Movies are complex works of art, consisting of many layers. For every film made, there is someone finding qualities setting the film positively apart from some other movie.

Hence, something like a "best film" of any genre can only exist as long as there is only ONE movie of that genre. As on as there are two or more films of a genre, "better" or even "best" does not objectively exist.

If something like a "best movie" does not exist, "Dragonheart" cannot be the best fantasy film.

All that exists objectively are "personal favourites".

Be that as it may , Dragonheart is the best and it may be a matter of favorites and/opinion and where are your links as evidence, well hence forth i shall submit my evidence

My opponent has conceded that it "may" be a matter of opinion, thus weakening his own position that "Dragonheart" is indeed the "best" fantasy movie. He admits it might just be his own favorite.

As for my links and evidence: the rules state that those were to be presented on round 2, which is what I intend to do. Here's an aggregated list of the allegedly "best" films of all time, taken from the results of Academy Awards, Palme d'Or of Cannes, Golden Globes, Metacritic and Rottentomatoes. It is the closest we can get to an unbiased professional opinion on movies.

The site claims "The Shawshank Redemption" to be the best movie of all times, which nonetheless holds only a 90% rating by professional film critics on Rottentomatoes ( ).
This shows that even the alleged "best film of all time" is not commonly accepted as "good".
An example: "Speaking of jail, "Shawshank"-the-movie seems to last about half a life sentence. The story, chiefly about the 20-year friendship between Freeman and Robbins, becomes incarcerated in its own labyrinthine sentimentality. It wanders down subplots at every opportunity and ignores an abundance of narrative exit points before settling on the aforementioned finale. And leave it to pandering, first-time director Frank Darabont to ensure no audience member leaves this film unsure of the ending. Heaven forbid a movie should end with a smidgen of mystery!"
This comes from Desson Howe from the Washington Post, whom Rottentomatoes lists as a TOP CRITIC:
It is a fairly dreadful review, that only highlights the performance of Robbins and Freeman.

Surely, this professional critic cannot be wrong?
Yet others call the film a masterpiece. Are they wrong?

The only logical answer is that movies are neither "good" nor "bad".

The US Legal Definition of a film critic attests to that:
"Film critic is a person who writes or publishes a review of a film from either an artistic or entertainment point of view. Film critic does the analysis and evaluation of films. Film reviews by the critic often analyze and discuss a film's details, its content and characters, assessment of the performances, camera work, directing, editing, production, and script. A film critic is usually more philosophical and theoretical while reviewing a film. A film critic is also called a film reviewer. A film critic may do journalistic criticism regularly in newspapers, and other popular, mass-media. S/he may do academic criticism that is informed by film theory and published in journals."
It is clear that there is more than one way to look at a movie, and the definition clearly states that a film is judged EITHER by artistic value OR by entertainment value.
The fact that film critics and "film theory" exist shows that there is NO objective measure for the quality of a film.

Take the alleged "worst film of all time": "Plan 9 from Outer Space". While critically panned, the film has since gained a cult following, and Tim Burton made the critically acclaimed film "Ed Wood" about the film - surely a sort of testament to some quality, even in the worst film ever. : "Plan 9 From Outer Space: “The Worst Movie Ever Made,” “The Ultimate Cult Flick,” or Both?" rel="bookmark" href="">Ed Wood’s Plan 9 From Outer Space: “The Worst Movie Ever Made,” “The Ultimate Cult Flick,” or Both?" shows that there is no clear answer to a film's absolute quality.

The best we can do is either go by our personal favoritism - like my opponent - which does not make a movie good or bad, it just makes a point about our taste.
OR we can go by the AVERAGED opinion of as many personal votes as possible and hope to find an UNBIASED opinion of a film.

If we do that, by opinion aggregator sites like Rotten Tomatoes, we easily find films with a higher ranking, like "Pan's Labyrinth", for example.
This fantasy film holds a 96% ranking with professional critics and 92% with averaged audience opinion.

"Willow" is older than "Dragonheart", contains a mixture of comedy and action, family values and valuable life lessons, but came years before "Dragonheart" and is - with an 80% ranking among audiences - more popular.
So, the arguments my opponent lists are all very subjective, as he already admitted.

"Dragonheart" ( ) holds only a 50% ranking with critics and 61% with audiences.

So, there is really nothing to support the resolution that "Dragonheart" is the best fantasy film.

1. "Best" movies do not exist. Opinions on which film is better vary and are almost never unanimous.
2. If there is some way to compare movies by audience favoritism, "Dragonheart" loses to other films, most notably "Pan's Labyrinth" or "Willow"

Otherwise, this debate ends tied with my evenly valid claim that "Pan's Labyrinth" and "Willow" are both better than"Dragonheart".

Even though it might weaken my position by agreeing with my oppenent, the so called critics of these movies should say dragonheart is better and give it higher reviews but non the less we shall leave this decesion to the voters

My opponent has done nothing to refute my arguments.
All he says is that his opinion is more important to him than the combined opinions of dozens of professionals - who make a living of reviewing films, combined with lots of customer reviews. This is highly subjective and - admittedly - weakens my opponent's position.

He does not even argue against my proposal for better fantasy movies.

So, my points stand.

Even if I WERE to agree with my opponent's final argument, and "Dragonheart" was to be called "better", my opponent dropped his point of the film being called "the best".

I turn this over to the audience.