michellular091
ChristianM

Drinking age should be lowered.

michellular091

Pro

I believe the drinking age should be lowered.
BASICALLY:
You are "legally" an adult at 18.
If you could go to war at 18 why can't you drink at 18?
Underage drinking occurs anyway.
21 is a random age.
College. [no explanation needed]
ChristianM

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate and await her first argument before I begin.
michellular091

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate.

1-At 18 you should be able to drink if you are allowed to do everything else that isn't legal until you are an adult. I cannot really provide any sources, for this is my opinion. I believe many would agree with this.

2-People at war deserve to be able to legally drink. A span of three years is a lot, [18-21] considering they are fighting for their country and should be able to drink if they want. War is stressful, and while I don't agree alcohol is the answer, some people do.

3-The many MIPs account for a lot of drinking. Why take so much time to write an 18-20 year old up for drinking? I would be pretty pissed if I was considered a "minor" after 18. So many parties have underage drinking without getting caught anyway, knowing that it's illegal is only part of the fun :)

4-Why 21? The only other countries in the WORLD that has a legal drinking age of 21- Armenia, Indonesia, and Palau. I believe I can safely say that we are nothing like those countries. All of Europe has a drinking age of 18 or younger. In some countries, there isn't a limit. [http://en.wikipedia.org...]

5-College is a place not only to get your education for further career advancements, but to have new experiences. DRINKING is a huge one. In fact, some major colleges are "talking" about lowering the drinking age on campus. [http://www.nysun.com...]>>>there are numerous other references for this fact.

I look forward to your rebuttle.
ChristianM

Con

ChristianM forfeited this round.
michellular091

Pro

I'm so disappointed :(
ChristianM

Con

By saying you were disappointed...you just forfeited. Therefore, it is now an even debate.
Nice.

On to my rebuttal and arguement.
"1-At 18 you should be able to drink if you are allowed to do everything else that isn't legal until you are an adult. I cannot really provide any sources, for this is my opinion. I believe many would agree with this."

I agree. My computer won't hyperlink so posting websites is feeble for me. But, an Economist article of March 12th, 2009 states that "the reason behind alcohol being so high in age cut off versus cigarettes, is because alcohol is impairing. Whereas, cigarettes cause disease that take longer to develop. Alcohol can cause the brain to malfunction and cause death on the spot. There is no treatment for alcoholism and there is for smoking." Why should the age stay 21 if people that are 18 are legally adults? Because, at 21, YOU are fully liable and responsible. At 18, you may still have lessons to learn in responsibility.

"2-People at war deserve to be able to legally drink. A span of three years is a lot, [18-21] considering they are fighting for their country and should be able to drink if they want. War is stressful, and while I don't agree alcohol is the answer, some people do."

In the US, they already do allow people to drink in the army. However, the beer is so dilluted that Yale University predicted on January 8, 2002 that it would 12 cans of Army issued beer to get even slightly buzzed. It's jut enough to get them through. Furthermore, the title of this debate is "the drinking age should be lowered". It means universally. People in the army drink at 18 because they have to see what others have nightmares about every day. While at home, people get drunk for leisure.

"3-The many MIPs account for a lot of drinking. Why take so much time to write an 18-20 year old up for drinking? I would be pretty pissed if I was considered a "minor" after 18. So many parties have underage drinking without getting caught anyway, knowing that it's illegal is only part of the fun :)"

Which is why we should not lower it. You just proved my case. Due to the fact that it is "fun :)" to some 18, 19, and 20 year olds, they will drink knowing it was against the law. But, if we lower the drinking age to 18, it is predicted by the US Department of Justice that we would see underage drinking by 15, 16, and 17 year olds go up by more than 75%.

"5-College is a place not only to get your education for further career advancements, but to have new experiences. DRINKING is a huge one. In fact, some major colleges are "talking" about lowering the drinking age on campus. [http://www.nysun.com......]>>>there are numerous other references for this fact."

Your "source" was made in an opinion section. And the college "presidents" it refers to are Student Government Presidents. Meaning, they are underage minors as well!

Clearly, I have torn apart my opponents arguement piece by piece. Therefore, I urge a CON ballot. Thank you.
Posted by Cyrus_the_great 7 years ago
Cyrus_the_great
I don't particularly care why car insurance is so high people screw up plain and simple, I am going to quote Benjamin Franklin again he is our founding father and a great liberty advocate. "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" This is the type of thinking that gave Hitler power in Germany, No person or nation has the right to infringe on another persons civil liberties even if it is for the benefit of their health or well being. We have a pretty good justice system with laws that put DUI offenders in prison sometimes for life depending on the crime. If that is not good enough deterrent than nothing will be all this is, is another way for the government to tax adults same as speeding tickets and these other arbitrary laws.
Posted by WhiteAfricanAmerican 7 years ago
WhiteAfricanAmerican
ever wondered why car insurance rates are so high for people between the ages of 18 and 25?
Posted by Cyrus_the_great 7 years ago
Cyrus_the_great
Benjamin Franklin said "Beer is proof God loves us" I however am not Christian but thought this quote pertained to Michelle's argument. I am 25 yet I can not understand the definition of adult so I figured I would look it up. 'The term adult has three distinct meanings. It indicates a grown man or woman. It may also mean a plant or animal that has reached full growth, or one who is legally of age; as opposed to a minor.' So an 18 year old being considered an adult would not warrant them getting an underage drinking charge and disagreeing with this statement is arbitrary. In law, the term minor (also infant or infancy) is used to refer to a person who is under the age in which one legally assumes adulthood and is legally granted rights afforded to adults in society. Underage: minor: not of legal age; "minor children. So if this is the definition of underage than the argument should be circumvented on the legal system. So either lower the drinking age or redefine adulthood p.s. I am opposed to government control and their misguided ideologies so I am biased on this opinion.
Posted by ChristianM 7 years ago
ChristianM
Well, if you are so whiny about having only one round to argue...why did'nt you further argue in the round you put as "Im very disappointed :(".
Posted by michellular091 7 years ago
michellular091
I don't think it should be changed because I'm inconvenienced. I'm going to continue to drink even though it is illegal. I am a sore loser because I got to state my opinion and he got to argue it and I didn't get to say anything back because he forfeited the second round. He was too busy with school. I'm in school. I still get on. There's evidence that ADULTS can't handle alcohol. It just depends on the person. I think it works for the rest of the world.
WhiteAfricanAmerican
You come off as a sore loser , insulting the intelligence of your audience doesn't help either.

With all due respect, nothing in your argument gave me pause. Infact all I got from your position was that the only reason you think 21 is too high is because you're inconvenienced.
Despite mountains of evidence documented by a variety of groups and agencies demonstrating that 18 year olds as a group aren't mature enough to deal with alcohol and the fallout from it.

As for not being able to ' wrap my head around ' your position all I have to say is this :
Been there, done that, got the Tshirt, moved on
Posted by michellular091 7 years ago
michellular091
This debate was bullllll. It was like ONE ROUND. I couldn't even refute his arguments because my con was "at school". So was I buddy. I could easily debate back, but since there are 12 votes already towards him, there's no need. People can't wrap their minds around it. Oh well.
Posted by michellular091 7 years ago
michellular091
I think that some kids can handle it and some can't. But the age I think people should be allowed to drink is 18. I don't know what age is too young. I think I started drinking too young. And no, i don't think the driving age should be lowered. And I don't think the drinking age should be set to thirteen.
WhiteAfricanAmerican
Wow.....12 years old it too young. So I assume that 13 is an acceptable age then?

So I guess my next question(s) would be:

1) How did you arrive at this age
2) Do you think that the driving age should be reduced to mirror your desired drinking age?
3) If the age was set to thirteen, would you think it unreasonable for a 10 year old to take up the same position you hold right now?
Posted by michellular091 7 years ago
michellular091
I think 12 is too young? I don't really know. It really depends on the person.
Vote Placed by DrumBum1234 7 years ago
DrumBum1234
michellular091ChristianMTied
Vote Placed by The_Booner 7 years ago
The_Booner
michellular091ChristianMTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
michellular091ChristianMTied
Vote Placed by Cyrus_the_great 7 years ago
Cyrus_the_great
michellular091ChristianMTied
Vote Placed by RacH3ll3 7 years ago
RacH3ll3
michellular091ChristianMTied
Vote Placed by Urania 7 years ago
Urania
michellular091ChristianMTied
Vote Placed by FogJuice 7 years ago
FogJuice
michellular091ChristianMTied
Vote Placed by WhiteAfricanAmerican 7 years ago
WhiteAfricanAmerican
michellular091ChristianMTied