youthrights
jayjay

Drinking and driving ages being raised will not benefit society.

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

youthrights

Pro

Argument: Priviledges must be introduced gradually into the youth in a supportive setting as opposed to setting everyone free at a certain age.

Drinking age: When something is forbidden and made to appear as though it is dangerous and off limits, it is the natural reaction of a teenager to engage in said forbidden activity due to it's appearance of risk taking.
When alcohol is gradually introduced under responsible supervision such as pertains in Europe (where drinking age is 16 for beer+wine and 18+ for hard liquor) then it does not appear to be a thrilling and rebellious adventure. This will (and has in Europe) reduce the number of drunken teenage exploits which quit often can result in injuries and life altering mistakes.
Driving age.
There has been some debate in the US and even suggestion in Canada that the driving age should be raised to 18. The main driving thought behind this idea is that the age bracket in which most auto accidents happen is roughly (16-20). Notice that these are also the first years most people are behind a wheel. The high accident rate in this group is due not to age but to inexperience in a car, which will remain the same no matter how old one is. If you put a 20 and a 45 year old behind the wheel of a car for the first time they will be EQUALLY inexperienced in a vehicle. Experience is based on practice and not age.
In summary.
Raised drinking and/or driving ages will not materially benefit society.
16 for beer and wine.
18 for spirits.
16 for learners driving permit.
17 for independent license.
jayjay

Con

Drinking ages should Stay the same or possibly go higher because peoples minds are still growing and drinking kills brain cells. People should really be cautious on how much they drink at a time anyways because of even if you are 21 drinking still can and will kill brain cells.

Driving ages should be stay the same or be raised because the age does matter the more mature you are the better you will be able to drive but yes I do agree with the experience part but what I think is that people should be able to get their permit when they are 15 then they should have to keep it till they're 17 and then they should be able to get their license.
youthrights

Pro

youthrights forfeited this round.
jayjay

Con

jayjay forfeited this round.
youthrights

Pro

youthrights forfeited this round.
jayjay

Con

jayjay forfeited this round.
youthrights

Pro

youthrights forfeited this round.
jayjay

Con

jayjay forfeited this round.
Posted by youthrights 6 years ago
youthrights
Haha I know mate.
I meant drinking ages and driving ages sperately haha.
Never comes across right when I say drinking and driving ages...
Posted by brian_eggleston 6 years ago
brian_eggleston
I read: "Drinking and driving apes being raised will not benefit society".

'Drinking and driving' is what us British call 'driving under the influence' and I thought that breeding apes that would be allowed to drink and drive would be an excellent idea - I would buy one and use it to drive me home from the pub!
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
You could use a few European countries as examples. I believe they all have a significantly lower rate of alcohol-related death, and most have laxer alcohol laws than in the United States.
Vote Placed by randolph7 6 years ago
randolph7
youthrightsjayjayTied
Reasons for voting decision: Instigator forfeited.