Azag
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Drivers convicted of a DUI should be required to ....full desc inside.

Azag

Pro

I believe persons convicted of a DUI should be required to have a special license plate that means as such. Should be subject to periodic random stops by police...furthermore all vehicles owned by said person and their immediate family (wife,husband, kid) that they have immediate access to should have them as well.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

I accept this debate.

While I do think that the idea of a special license plate is quite good, you are being a bit harsh about the other parts. Random stops by the police is a bad idea, especially since you are saying that all of their immediate family would receive the same treatment. That is just wasting the officer's time and that family member's time. Imagine you had a brother who murdered someone. The police found out and made you wear a special badge indicating that YOU were the one to do it, as there is no difference in the badges. So from now on, the police can stop you at any time and say, "Sorry sir, I'm afraid I have to check your internet history and any items you have on you, just in case you murder someone again". Do you understand?
Azag

Pro

Azag forfeited this round.
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

Have I stumped you?

I just think it's a bit harsh to make people and their families be subject to random check-ups by the police.
It's hardly the family's fault.
Azag

Pro

Sorry about that...real life happened...nieces b-day party and...well anyway. I forfeited the last round so I only have this shot right?

If a husband drinks and drives...his wife and children( if they could drive) should have to have those plates. Not the husband's parents and brothers. If the son...then the rest of his immediate (parents n siblings...not uncles n cousins.)
Reason- you drink and drive...you are criminally negligent. I have a cdl class A...I have 1/2 the legal limit as anyone else so I can't have a full beer without being termed legally drunk...so I never drink unless my wife is there to drive. Furthermore, I have a CHCL and can't drink an carry a weapon...so...I just drink at home with the gun in it's gunsafe and my car parked.
If someone drinks and drives...then gets pulled over and gets a DUI...my first thought is charge them with criminal negligence with a deadly weapon...but most would drop a brick if I suggested that. So...embarrass the whole family if they disregard the lives of everyone else on the road for a term of 1 year...bet that driver won't drink and drive again if they bring that down on themselves.
How many more lives have to be lost before we nail drunk drivers to the wall?
In Arkansas you can be arrested for DUI 3 times before your license is permanently revoked. If that is how the country views it...it is like saying a drunk can fire a gun at a mall 3 times before they can't own/use a gun anymore.
I know most think that is extreme...but how many MORE people die via drunk driver than handguns?

2012 drunk drivers killed over 10k people where handguns killed 6k. Now...we regulate guns out the teeth but no one talks about drunk driver legislation.

So...cause public shame and humiliation and folks will think of others before being drunk drivers.

http://www.gunpolicy.org... (used handgun deaths in this segment due to handguns being of a higher restriction than long guns and more easily hidden...giving a higher probability of use due to concealability.)

http://responsibility.org...
WatashiwaKoharudesu

Con

It's still wrong to give it to the whole family. You should only give the plate to the actual offender. It would be humiliating enough to have to wear the plate yourself (which is a good idea), but making the whole family wear one is just cruel. It could damage the lives of that particular wife/husband by making the boss see that they were convicted of a DUI, even if it wasn't them to do it. Assume that your father had a few drinks too many one night, and got convicted of a DUI. YOU would have to go around then all the time while people look at you and think "He/she got convicted of a DUI. How horrible." People would silently judge you and you may even be refused a VISA if you ever want to travel, as this is considered a criminal offence.