Jamcke
JTSmith

Driving in the passing lane(s)

Con Tied Pro

Jamcke

Con

If you're in the US and you're driving in the passing lane(s) (especially in congested traffic), you need to stop acting as a clot in the veins of society and merge back into the driving lane so others can get around you. There are some instances when driving in the passing lane is forgivable, including but not limited to preparing to make a turn from that lane, when the other lane(s) are too full, avoiding road hazards/construction/emergencies/etc, or when there's no one else around.
JTSmith

Pro

This rule should apply only under situations, such as interstate and highway driving.
Anwhere else, however, following this rule would be harmful.
On a two lane road...during rush hour, how can you expect everyone to follow this rule??? It would be a game of leapfrog all the way into town. Cars all taking turns passing and merging...passing and merging.
I would have to wonder if my opponent has ever drivin in rush hour traffic. A four, or five lane road is stop and go for almost two hours. They only way to make it worse????
To force as many cars to the right as possible.

Even during normal day hours, this rul would ultimately slow everyone down. They would have to constantly pass and merge around rightlane traffic. Why do that when you can just remain in the left hand lane and pass all of them much faster???
During day hours, your not in anyones way.

If my opponent thinks that People who remain in the passing lane are clotting the veins of traffic, then imagine how clotted that right-hand lane would be.

Furthermore, I would assert that the passing lane is a perfectly fine lane to travel in as long as the driver yeilds to traffic moving faster than himself.
He can drive in the left-hand lane all he wants as long as he is willing move over for a few second for another car too pass.
Jamcke

Con

First off I would like to thanks my opponent for accepting this debate. Secondly I would like to apologize for erroneously omitting that this rule should only apply to interstate and highway driving. Following this rule would indeed be harmful, as my opponent mentioned. I should've reviewed my first round argument before submitting it. For voting purposes, I will consider this round forfeit and allow my opponent to redirect his argument.

I will however address some of the arguments made by my opponent in the first round.

Pro: "A four, or five lane road is stop and go for almost two hours. They only way to make it worse???? To force as many cars to the right as possible."

As I previously stated, driving in the passing lane(s) is forgivable if the other lanes are too full.

Pro: "Even during normal day hours, this rule would ultimately slow everyone down. They would have to constantly pass and merge around right lane traffic. Why do that when you can just remain in the left hand lane and pass all of them much faster???"

If you remain in the left lane in order to pass slower traffic, it's fine as long as you are indeed passing slower traffic. You would be using the passing lane to do just that. Furthermore, I maintain that if drivers were to remain in the driving lane during non-congested interstate and highway driving, it would help promote the free flow of traffic.

Pro: "If my opponent thinks that People who remain in the passing lane are clotting the veins of traffic, then imagine how clotted that right-hand lane would be."

This would only apply in congested traffic, which I already stated was forgivable.

Pro: "Furthermore, I would assert that the passing lane is a perfectly fine lane to travel in as long as the driver yeilds to traffic moving faster than himself. He can drive in the left-hand lane all he wants as long as he is willing move over for a few second for another car too pass."

I would affirm this position, as long as the said driver could indeed immediately yield to faster traffic. Otherwise, I would not consider this to be forgivable.
JTSmith

Pro

JTSmith forfeited this round.
Jamcke

Con

Since my opponent forfeited his last round, I'll just extend my argument from round 2

JTSmith

Pro

JTSmith forfeited this round.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
I affirm driving in the passing lane when necessary. I don't know about you, but it absolutely pisses me off when I have somewhere to be and have to end up waiting behind some old codger who is too afraid to drive any higher than 10 miles below the speed limit. There have been many times when I've been stuck in line of 10 or 20 cars all because the person in front was driving too slow. I'll agree to slowing down when it comes to emergencies or funerals, but that's about it.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by ANSmith 8 years ago
ANSmith
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by advidiun 8 years ago
advidiun
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by JTSmith 8 years ago
JTSmith
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by RequireTruth 8 years ago
RequireTruth
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by liberty 8 years ago
liberty
JamckeJTSmithTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
JamckeJTSmithTied