brockghering
studentathletechristian8

Dropping the Atomic bomb on hiroshima and nagasaki was wrong.

brockghering

Pro

I am happy that you would except my challenge and if you doo you must start the debate off GOOD LUCK!!
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for the debate.

I shall start the debate off with this:

As Pro and Instigator, it is my opponent's obligation to affirm the resolution and provide a case. I don't want to take advantage of my opponent with biased definitions or "traps," so it shall be up to my opponent to clarify and commence argumentation in the next round.

brockghering

Pro

I would like to bring in all aspects to the argument. first off i would like to bring up the fact that the topic states both the bombs rather than just one.

The bombs that were dropped led huge crater of destruction and took the lives of many people that had no involvement in the war. The extremes that were taking were just to avenge the events of pearl harbor. The bomb took the lives of 66,000 in Hiroshima and 39,000 in Nagasaki. there was no excuse for using this massive weapon and taking the lives of many innocent children and woman. the bombs not only cost the lives of many innocent children and women but it also was unnecessary. The United States dropped tons of warnings t over Hiroshima before the bombing stating the intentions to use the bombs and the japanese were contemplating their choices when the Americans bombed. the flyers that were dropped had no set date but after the horrific bombing of one providence the American government issued another plane to drop a second bomb 3 days later on Japan soil. 3 days is not enough time for a country to discuss wether or not they were going to surrender. this is why i strongly agree with the resolution: Dropping the Atomic bomb on hiroshima and nagasaki was wrong.
studentathletechristian8

Con

I thank my opponent for the response and the audience for another opportunity.

Note that my opponent must prove that the dropping of both bombs was wrong.

I would like to provide some general information about America's dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Strategists in Washington were planning an all-out invasion of the main islands of Japan - an invasion that presumably would cost hundreds of thousands of American (and even more Japanese) casualties. Tokyo, recognizing imminent defeat, had secretly sent peace feelers to Moscow, which had not yet entered the Far Eastern war. The Americans, having broken the secret Japanese radio codes, knew of these feelers. But Japan still showed no outward willingness to surrender to the Allies.
The Potsdam conference, held near Berlin in July 1945, sounded the death knell of the Japanese. There President Truman met in a seventeen-day parley with Joseph Stalin and the British leaders. The conferees issued a stern ultimatum to Japan: surrender of be destroyed. American bombers showered the warning on Japan in tens of thousands of leaflets, but no encouraging response was forthcoming. With the development of the atomic bomb, a way to save potentially hundreds of thousands of both American and Japanese lives was born.
With Japan still refusing to surrender, the Potsdam threat was fulfilled. On August 6, 1945, an American bomber dropped one atomic bomb on the city of Hiroshima, Japan. Fanatically resisting Japanese still did not surrender. On August 9, a second atomic bomb was dropped on the city of Nagasaki. On August 10, Japan sued for peace.

"The bombs that were dropped led huge crater of destruction and took the lives of many people that had no involvement in the war."
Instead of losing a projected hundreds of thousands of American lives and even more in Japanese lives, the United States utilized the atomic bombs to shorten the war. This saved hundreds of thousands of lives for both America and Japan. Although Japan experienced destruction, the help of MacArthur spawned a trail of economic prosperity in Japan for ensuing decades.

"The extremes that were taking were just to avenge the events of pearl harbor."
False. The United States joined the war because of Pearl Harbor and its immediate unification of the American populous. The atomic bombs were dropped to save hundreds of thousands of American and Japanese lives in avoidance of future fighting and war. That is precisely what the atomic bombs did; plus ending the war.

"there was no excuse for using this massive weapon and taking the lives of many innocent children and woman."
I have already explained my counter for this in above statements.

"the bombs not only cost the lives of many innocent children and women but it also was unnecessary. The United States dropped tons of warnings t over Hiroshima before the bombing stating the intentions to use the bombs and the japanese were contemplating their choices when the Americans bombed. the flyers that were dropped had no set date but after the horrific bombing of one providence the American government issued another plane to drop a second bomb 3 days later on Japan soil. 3 days is not enough time for a country to discuss wether or not they were going to surrender."
False. As I explained in the background, Americans heavily warned Japan about the immediate future. The Japanese ultimately decided not to surrender and chose to keep fighting; they were not contemplating. The Japanese did not discuss surrender until after the second atomic bomb. They were determined to resist and avoid surrender until after the two bombs hit. Therefore, my opponent is incorrect in his dates and reasoning.

I have countered all of my opponent's statements. The resolution remains negated. Thank you.

Source:

The American Pageant, 12th Edition, Chapter 36
brockghering

Pro

brockghering forfeited this round.
studentathletechristian8

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited the previous round.

All arguments extended. I heavily urge a Con vote. Thank you.
Posted by unidentified.corpse 5 years ago
unidentified.corpse
Why the bomb was not needed, or unjustified:
- Japan was ready to call it quits anyway. More than 60 of its cities had been destroyed by conventional bombing, the home islands were being blockaded by the American Navy, and the Soviet Union entered the war by attacking Japanese troops in Manchuria.

- American refusal to modify its "unconditional surrender" demand to allow the Japanese to keep their emperor needlessly prolonged Japan's resistance.

- A demonstration explosion over Tokyo harbor would have convinced Japan's leaders to quit without killing many people.

- Even if Hiroshima was necessary, the U.S. did not give enough time for word to filter out of its devastation before bombing Nagasaki.

- The bomb was used partly to justify the $2 billion spent on its development.

- The two cities were of limited military value. Civilians outnumbered troops in Hiroshima five or six to one.

- Japanese lives were sacrificed simply for power politics between the U.S. and the Soviet Union.

- Conventional firebombing would have caused as much significant damage without making the U.S. the first nation to use nuclear weapons.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com...
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
Well, at least it shocked everyone enough not to do it again...for now.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
The Japanese did not surrender after the first bomb. It took Round II to influence them.
Posted by Loserboi 7 years ago
Loserboi
I agree with the dropping of the 1st bomb I don't understand why we dropped the 2nd one... to add an exclamation mark?
Posted by popculturepooka 7 years ago
popculturepooka
chsTG - you sound dangerously close to endorsing terrorism.
Posted by chsTG 7 years ago
chsTG
@popculturepooka

What choice did we have but to kill civilians? We had already b12 bombers obliterating their above ground military settlements and it wasn't working. In fact more people were killed by B12 bomber than the Atomic bombs. we had to show them what terrible force could be used to scare them into submission. It is sick adn entirely resgretable and Emperor Hirohito should burn in hell for not surrendering when he could have spared all of these lives.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
But I am glad the hiroshima was dropped.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
brockghering should try to d a better job.
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
His spelling of the word accept, in both his debates he spelled it "except" just bugs me, lol.
studentathletechristian8
Thanks, pop.
Vote Placed by Cherymenthol 7 years ago
Cherymenthol
brockgheringstudentathletechristian8Tied
Vote Placed by Grape 7 years ago
Grape
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8