Drug Legalization (Marijuana)

First round acceptance only. I will argue against drug legalization my opponent will argue for drug legalization.

I will argue that Marijuana legalization is a good choice.

Section 1

For my first claim I would like to state that marijuana is a gateway drug. A gateway drug is a drug that leads to harder more destroying drugs. Like most drugs a tolerance to marijuana can be built up which leads people to use harder drugs to reach the high that marijuana gives them (1). It's not the drug it's self that causes people to move on to worse drugs but it's the people that can't reach that high that marijuana gives them anymore.

Section 2

My second claim is that marijuana cause health problems. Marijuana is supposedly fine and doesn't harm you but marijuana smokers risk the health of their lungs, brain, and other organs. People who smoke marijuana have these effects altered perceptions and mood, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and disrupted learning and memory (2). But marijuana doesn't just have short term effects it can deminish IQ scores over a span of years and mess up brain development.

Section 3

And for my third claim I would like to state that this is my sole opinion but if adults have marijuana whats to stop them from selling marijuana to minors.

Rebuttal 1: Gateway Drug

Time magazine has a wonderful article on this which I will link and quote throughout this rebuttal.
My opponent claims that marijuana is a gateway drug well yes and no. Imagine this, someone who uses a computer is probably 1000x more likely to become a hacker than someone who never touches a computer. Is it the computers fault that the person took steps and made their OWN choices to go down a worse road? No of course not! The same applies to marijuana.

My opponent also states in his Section 1 argument that it is not marijuana but people who choose to go to harder drugs.
"It's not the drug itself that causes people to move on to worse drugs but it's the people that can't reach that high that marijuana gives them anymore."

Now I will quote some points that are from people/organizations who are quite significantly more intelligent than myself.

"Patterns in progression of drug use from adolescence to adulthood are strikingly regular. Because it is the most widely used illicit drug, marijuana is predictably the first illicit drug most people encounter. Not surprisingly, most users of other illicit drugs have used marijuana first. In fact, most drug users begin with alcohol and nicotine before marijuana " usually before they are of legal age.
In the sense that marijuana use typically precedes rather than follows initiation of other illicit drug use, it is indeed a "gateway" drug. But because underage smoking and alcohol use typically precede marijuana use, marijuana is not the most common, and is rarely the first, "gateway" to illicit drug use. There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs[1]." The Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences.

"Since then, numerous other studies have failed to support the gateway idea. Every year, the federal government funds two huge surveys on drug use in the population. Over and over they find that the number of people who try marijuana dwarfs that for cocaine or heroin. For example, in 2009, 2.3 million people reported trying pot " compared with 617,000 who tried cocaine and 180,000 who tried heroin[1]."

"Holland began liberalizing its marijuana laws in part to close this particular gateway " and indeed now the country has slightly fewer young pot-smokers who move on to harder drugs compared with other nations, including the U.S. A 2010 Rand Institute report titled "What Can We Learn from the Dutch Cannabis Coffeeshop Experience?" found that there was "some evidence" for a "weakened gateway" in The Netherlands, and concluded that the data "clearly challenge any claim that the Dutch have strengthened the gateway to hard drug use."[1]"

Rebuttal and 1st argument: Health factors.
The argument of marijuana and its effects on the respiratory system can be quite easily fixed and is avoided many times by people who are against legalization. There are many alternatives including; vaporizers, medicated food, and medicated oils, and pills containing marijuana (medicated meaning containing marijuana).

The best argument against the argument on the damage to the lungs is a 20 year study and I can sum it up no better than marijuana smokers lungs actually increased in ability after smoking for 20 years crazy thought right? Well apparently not as crazy as you might have thought.

"Marijuana does not impair lung function"at least not in the doses inhaled by the majority of users, according to the largest and longest study ever to consider the issue, which was published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association[2]."

"Researchers working on a long-term study of risk factors for cardiovascular disease (the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults or CARDIA study) tested the lung function of 5115 young adults over the course of 20 years, starting in 1985 when they were aged 18 to 30[2]."

"The study was "well conducted" and is "essentially confirmatory of the findings from several previous studies that have examined the association between marijuana smoking and lung function," says Dr. Donald Tashkin, professor of medicine at UCLA and a leading scientist in the area. He was not associated with the new research.
"The major strengths of this study are that it included a far larger number of subjects followed for longer than any of these previous studies," he adds[2]."

"While tobacco smokers showed the expected drop in lung function over time, the new research found that marijuana smoke had unexpected and apparently positive effects. Low to moderate users actually showed increased lung capacity compared to non smokers on two tests, known as FEV1 and FVC. FEV1 is the amount of air someone breathes out in the first second after taking the deepest possible breath; FVC is the total volume of air exhaled after the deepest inhalation[2]."

"That was a bit of a surprise, says Pletcher, since "There are clearly adverse effects from tobacco use and marijuana smoke has a lot of the same constituents as tobacco smoke does so we thought it might have some of the same harmful effects. It"s a weird effect to see and we couldn't make it go away," he adds, explaining that the researchers used statistical models to look for errors or other factors that could explain the apparent benefit and did not find them[2]."

The link between diminishing IQ scores and pot have been severely challenged against the study that was conducted with just (38) heavy users.
"A 2012 Duke University study made international headlines when it purported to find a link between heavy marijuana use and IQ decline among teenagers. Other researchers questioned the findings almost immediately: Columbia University's Carl Hart noted the very small sample of heavy users (38) in the study, leading him to question how generalizable the results were.

Then, a follow-up study published 6 months later in the same journal found that the Duke paper failed to account for a number of confounding factors: "Although it would be too strong to say that the results have been discredited, the methodology is flawed and the causal inference drawn from the results premature," it concluded[3]."

Coordination, problem solving, thinking, perceptions, and mood are all only during the high as studies are inconclusive on long lasting effects.

Now that we have shown that the negatives are not so negative lets look at some benefits of marijuana use.

1.It can be used to treat Glaucoma.
2.It may help reverse the carcinogenic effects of tobacco and improve lung health.
3.It can help control epileptic seizures.
4.It also decreases the symptoms of a severe seizure disorder known as Dravet's Syndrome.
5.A chemical found in marijuana stops cancer from spreading.
6.It may decrease anxiety.
7.THC slows the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
8.The drug eases the pain of multiple sclerosis.
9.Other types of muscle spasms could be helped too.
10.Other types of muscle spasms could be helped too.
11.It lessens side effects from treating hepatitis C and increases treatment effectiveness.
12.Marijuana treats inflammatory bowel diseases.
13.It relieves arthritis discomfort.R32;R32;
14.It keeps you skinny and helps your metabolism.
15.It improves the symptoms of Lupus, an autoimmune disorder.
16.While not really a health benefit, marijuana spurs creativity in the brain.
17.Marijuana might be able to eliminate Crohn's diseases.
18.Pot soothes tremors for people with Parkinson's disease.
19.Marijuana helps veterans suffering from PTSD.
20.Marijuana protects the brain after a stroke.
21.It might protect the brain from concussions and trauma.
22.It can help eliminate nightmares.
23.Weed reduces some of the awful pain and nausea from chemo, and stimulates appetite.
24.Marijuana can help people trying to cut back on drinking.
and one of the biggest can you tell me how many recorded death there are from marijuana? 0 would be the correct answer. The benefits greatly outweigh.

In response to your question that you answered yourself how many people have died thanks to marijuana approximately 4 to 14 percent of drivers who sustained injury or died in traffic accidents tested positive for THC.(1)

Second of all marijuana does not stop the spread of cancer it relieves the stress/pain of cancer but other than that it has no effect on the spread of cancer and there are studies that prove that marijuana causes lukemia in some cases.

Also no offense but I would like to see sources on your 24 benefits.

As for your request for my link to the list of 24 amazing and extremely beneficial benefits of marijuana here it is! [4]
Once you go through the 23 or 24 under each they give you a description and evidence to back each of these claims up.

Since it is the Last round I will not offer any new arguments especially since my opponent only addressed two of my well over 25 points.

Now to address the statement that cannabis can cause cancer.
One this is not a acquisition to throw around lightly and especially without providing any proof, such as my opponent failed to do. Now I did research and found many websites and .orgs saying that marijuana can cause cancer, but here is the kicker!, It has only been found to POSSIBLY cause cancer while the user has also been smoking cigarettes or mixes tobacco into the "joint". Well of course something is going to be associated with cancer when mixed or used with the number 1 cancer causer in the world! Now I will provide two quotes, one saying it can possibly and one stating there has been no evidence found. You, our voters, can decide which makes more sense.

"A pooled analysis of three case-cohort studies of men in northwestern Africa (430 cases and 778 controls) showed a significantly increased risk of lung cancer among tobacco smokers who also inhaled Cannabis."

"A population-based case-control study of 611 lung cancer patients revealed that chronic low Cannabis exposure was not associated with an increased risk of lung cancer or other upper aerodigestive tract cancers and found no positive associations with any cancer type (oral, pharyngeal, laryngeal, lung, or esophagus) when adjusting for several confounders, including cigarette smoking."

Both quotes come from []

My opponent states that cannabis has no effect on the spread or development of cancer, but again fails to provide any evidence for this statement. I thought this knowledge was well known because it was quite a big deal, but I guess not.
I will let the evidence and quotes speak for themselves on this one.(on a side note I understand this is from huffington post but you can go and search what they tell you about and where from and will find it is real.)

*"A pair of scientists at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco has found that a compound derived from marijuana could stop metastasis in many kinds of aggressive cancer, potentially altering the fatality of the disease forever.

"It took us about 20 years of research to figure this out, but we are very excited," said Pierre Desprez, one of the scientists behind the discovery, to The Huffington Post. "We want to get started with trials as soon as possible."

The Daily Beast first reported on the finding, which has already undergone both laboratory and animal testing, and is awaiting permission for clinical trials in humans.

Desprez, a molecular biologist, spent decades studying ID-1, the gene that causes cancer to spread. Meanwhile, fellow researcher Sean McAllister was studying the effects of Cannabidiol, or CBD, a non-toxic, non-psychoactive chemical compound found in the cannabis plant. Finally, the pair collaborated, combining CBD and cells containing high levels of ID-1 in a petri dish.

"What we found was that his Cannabidiol could essentially 'turn off' the ID-1," Desprez told HuffPost. The cells stopped spreading and returned to normal."* []

So to conclude not only did I provide a surplus amount of evidence and benefits, I also refuted all of my opponents point except the death while driving under the influence of marijuana, not a direct cause of marijuana. Yes did marijuana helped in causing the car accident? yes. But that person never would have died or been in that situation if not getting behind the wheel. Just look how many recorded deaths there are from alcohol but yet it is still legal.

So to recap I believe I provided enough evidence to show that marijuana would have more benefits than negatives to society. Thank you.

As you can see from my sites listed below I used very reliable websites including; TIME Magazine, CNN, Mayo Clinic, and Business Insider which offers even more website to go into if you follow the evidence they state.

Posted by matt8800 10 months ago
Ever notice that marijuana's biggest accusation is that its a gateway drug to more damaging drugs? That's because there is no evidence that marijuana is a threat all by itself.
Lets not forget about the concept of personal freedom. Junk food is WAY more damaging by causing obesity yet the idea of government banning junk food is an affront to freedom.
if you don't like pot, then don't smoke it but mind your own business.
Posted by finley5 1 year ago
Yes marijuana should be legalized. If alcohol continues to be legal so should marijuana. Alcoholism is a huge problem that ruins people's lives. Marijuana is not addictive and doesnt have those concerns. People tend not to be violent when taking marijuana. Although driving under the influence of any drug isnt safe since your reflexes are dulled it appears to be safer than alcohol when comparing accident rates. Marijuana is often described as a gateway drug however many people use it recreationally like alcohol and never progress beyond that . Contrary to ideas about marijuana smokers many are normal citizens with jobs and no problems with the law that could get in alot of trouble for having a small amount of something that should be legal. It would also get rid of some of the problems people selling drugs. People would have a safe means to obtain them also instead of using dangerous methods. It is also very valuable for many medical reasons.
Posted by Foolylekooly 1 year ago
You better not legalize it ya chumps i make a living uh, "donating" marajuana plants which I dont grow in my basement
Posted by Sargon 1 year ago
Con blatantly contradicts himself with his own references. The first reference he provides actually indicates that cannabis is not a gateway drug, which is in direct contradiction with the assertion that he attempts to support. His second section has more weight to it in terms of persuasiveness and support, but he could have done better at linking the proposition that cannabis use is harmful with the conclusion that it should be illegal. Pro responds to Con's arguments with a slew of empirical research and data refuting Con's contentions. Although I saw a possible line of counter attack against this, Con's responses were too weak and short in comparison in order to win the debate. Therefore, I vote Pro on arguments.
Posted by Elijahhill97 1 year ago
I will post links in my next argument.
Vote Placed by Sargon 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments