AnarchBoy
maorbernstein

Drug Legalization

AnarchBoy

Pro

Hello to all I am here today to challenge anyone which would like to prove the resolution which will be stated in just a moment to be incorrect. I wish good luck to the opponent.

~+~+ Resolution ~+~+

Drugs should be legalized.

Side Note: By drugs I mean all types of drugs. Such as weed, heroin, cocaine etc.

~+~+ Definitions ~+~+

Drugs: a substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

Legalized: Make something that was previously illegal permissible by law.

~=~= Regulations ~+~+

First round will be for acceptance, second and third round will be for the purpose of presenting contentions and rebuttals to the opponents contentions, fourth round will be for final statements and final rebuttals. No new contentions in round four only reinforcement to previous contentions will be permitted.

Side Note: If the opponent has a problem with the rules he/she can leave me a comment in the comment's section and see if we can come to an agreement.

maorbernstein

Con

I believe all drugs should be illegalized.
I agree with you about the definition of drugs and legalization, but would like to perfect it.

A drug is a substance that is psychologically, not neccessarily physiologically, addictive, is ingested in some form, alters the mental state of the user, and has negative affects on the user.

Differences between psychological and physiological addictions:

A psychological addiction is one where one wants more of something because it is pleasing. For example, chocolate is very psychologically addicting because it tastes very good.

A physiological addiction is one where one's body needs the substance because their body has grown used to it. Often times to get off the drug they need to detox because they can risk death.

What is legalization?
Legalization means that you cannot be arrested or brought to court for possession of, the sale of, the purchase of, or the us of the substance.

Just for the record, do you plan on creating laws similar to drink and driving, where one may not shoot up heroin and drive at the same time, e.g.

I look forward to this debate, and Good Luck.
AnarchBoy

Pro

Thanks to the opponent for accepting this debate before I go on ahead and present my contentions I would like to tell something to the opponent. I stated in the first round that if the opponent wanted to make some changes to the definition or rules, to leave me a comment in the comment section to come to an agreement. The opponent failed to do this, as a result now he presented a definition that I do not accept for the debate for the simple reason the definition of the word Drugs consist of the words "negative affects." Which this is not entirely true, while some drugs do have bad affects not all do. For the sake of the opponent and the debate I will accept his definition but disapprove of the negative affect part. I as well accept the more in depth definition of the word legalization. As for the laws similar to drink and driving, we will just focus on wether drugs should legalized within the United States. I will now present my contentions and good luck again to the opponent.

ADDICTION

For some reason people come to the conclusion that if illegal drugs we're to become legal, magically all humans within the United States will become addicted to the drugs but this is strongly flawed and inaccurate. I will choose as an example alcohol a drug which is legal, now the legal age for drinking alcohol within the United States is 21 now recent studies show that 77% of adults within the U.S. do not drink alcohol at a hazardous level. Let me extend a bit further, 46% of adults do not drink at all and 31% drank but do not have more than five drinks on any occasion. That means only 23% of adults within the U.S. drink enough alcohol that can harm them or there surroundings.[1] What am I trying to prove by this? The evidence here proves that just because the government legalizes heroin, cocaine, weed etc. doesn't mean that the second the law is passed millions of adults will go and buy all these drugs. The belief that this will happen is absurd. You can find caffeine in the nearest Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, are all kids teenagers, adults addicted to caffeine which is as a well a drug? For example nicotine found in cigarettes, studies show that only 23% of adults smoke and 30% adolescents. This means 77% of adults do not smoke cigarettes yet is easily accessible in most if not all stores. And 70% of adolescents do not smoke as well.[2] Therefor I can conclude from this information that just because illegal drugs do become legal, doesn't mean all of us will become addicted to them which most people that are against drug legalization try to prove.

ECONOMY

Harvard Professor Jeffrey Miron a believer that all drugs should be legalized just like me did some research and shows evidence on how the United States government will save $41.3 billion dollars a year if drugs we're to become legal. This $41.3 billion dollars are spent yearly on government expenditure and on enforcement of prohibition. The evidence also estimates that drug legalization would yield tax revenue of $46.7 billion annually, assuming legal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco. Approximately $8.7 billion of this revenue would result from legalization of marijuana and $38.0 billion from legalization of other drugs. This would be billions of dollars saved, because of these savings $25.7 billions would accrue to state and local governments, while $15.6 billion would accrue to the federal government.[3] Billions of dollars are spent yearly on a war which is doing absolutely nothing because the usage of drugs is still very big and these illegal drugs can be found in most corners of our streets. The drugs are illegal which cause a dangerous environment not only for the sellers but for the consumers, because of drugs being illegal the drugs are low-quality and as well cause a more harmful affect. But also these illegal drugs are selling millions and the government is gaining no tax revenue from it. Which will be of a great benefit since we are in a major recession.

HYPOCRISY

I believe the hypocrisy which this government has been committing for years is sickening and needs to come to an end. I've always asked myself what is the difference between drinking you're drug or inhaling it or injecting it? A drugs is a drug not matter which way we put it. In fact it is even a bigger hypocrisy that people want to prove that illegal drugs have worst affects then the drugs that are legal. Alcohol alone takes the lives 75,000 americans,[4] as well nationally tobacco contributes to about one-quarter of heart disease and 490,000 premature deaths each year.[5] I would like for the opponent to tell me how many die from smoking weed? In fact here has been no case of deaths from weed in the U.S. what so ever this means less deaths then firearms, which is 29,000 less deaths then prescribed drugs which is 32,000. The safest drug which is weed is illegal, don't we feel stupid?[6] In fact the number of deaths to heroin in 2008 was 22,000 which is no where near the number of deaths from cigarettes.[7] Therefor I can conclude with this information that when the government wants to speak about keeping illegal drugs such as weed, heroin, cocaine illegal because of it's dangerous affects are strictly incorrect.

FREEDOM OF CHOICE

I will end with this contention I love a little word called freedom. In the name of freedom thousands of U.S. soldiers have died, millions of civilians killed, millions of family torn up, and hundreds of military bases in countries which do not belong to us have been assembled. In the name of freedom the United States have ripped away governments and in the name of freedom this government invades other countries when they please, but the sad truth is the United States commit all these actions in the name of freedom yet freedom has never existed within the United States. I have lived by this quote all my life the quote says "Healing starts with yourself." What do I mean by this, we want to assemble freedom in other countries why don't we assemble it here first? Why is it we need to be told what to inhale into our bodies, I am pretty sure when a person smokes they are aware of the consequences but still we should respect their decision because like a human they we're born free. I would like to extend that last statement, we were not born to be set "free" by the definition of a government rather we we're born free. There is nothing this government can give us which doesn't already belongs to us. We are all humans and should respect each others decision, I respect the decision when a soldier signs up for the army. Yet I believe that when a person does sign up to fight or "defend" this country like some people like to believe are ignorant and become terrorists and when these people sign up for the army or military etc. become soldiers which are fighting against freedom and the liberation of people all around the world. Yet I still respect the decision of all soldiers. Therefor I ask for this government to respect the choice we make and to not interfere. For it is not their business nor any other person for that matters business what I chose to smoke, drink or inject into my body. Respect my choices and let the natural consequences of my choices occur. For I shall respect you're freedom and decisions as well. Thanks and good luck to the opponent. I will remind the opponent that in his presentation in this round will be for contentions only.

[1] http://www.udetc.org...
[2] http://www.acde.org...
[3] http://www.businessinsider.com...
[4] http://www.msnbc.msn.com...
[5] http://oralcancerfoundation.org...
[6] http://www.selectsmart.com...
[7] http://en.wikipedia.org...
maorbernstein

Con

maorbernstein forfeited this round.
AnarchBoy

Pro

AnarchBoy forfeited this round.
maorbernstein

Con

maorbernstein forfeited this round.
AnarchBoy

Pro

AnarchBoy forfeited this round.
maorbernstein

Con

maorbernstein forfeited this round.
Posted by AnarchBoy 5 years ago
AnarchBoy
Thanks I hope so as well.
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
Haven't seen this debate done in a while. Hope you get a good opponent.