LiberationMedia
TheHost

Drug Legalization

LiberationMedia

Pro

Hello to all I am here today to challenge anyone which would like to prove the resolution which will be stated in just a moment to be incorrect. I wish good luck to the opponent.

Side Note: Due to personal reasons the actual and first debate I created was not possible to be completed therefor I have created another one. Please I hope the opponent will have the same enthusiasm I do for this debate and will finish it as well.

~+~+ Resolution ~+~+

Drugs should be legalized.

Side Note: By drugs I mean all types of drugs. Such as weed, heroin, cocaine etc.

~+~+ Definitions ~+~+

Drugs: a substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

Legalized: Make something that was previously illegal permissible by law.

~=~= Regulations ~+~+

First round will be for acceptance, second and third round will be for the purpose of presenting contentions and rebuttals to the opponents contentions, fourth round will be for final statements and final rebuttals. No new contentions in round four only reinforcement to previous contentions will be permitted.

Side Note: If the opponent has a problem with the rules he/she can leave me a comment in the comment's section and see if we can come to an agreement.

TheHost

Con

I accept the debate. Bring your a-game Liberation.
LiberationMedia

Pro

Thanks to the opponent for accepting this debate. I will now present my contentions and good luck again to the opponent.

Side Note: Due to the fact I already had debated this topic, I will use the same opening contentions.

ADDICTION

For some reason people come to the conclusion that if illegal drugs we're to become legal, magically all humans within the United States will become addicted to the drugs but this is strongly flawed and inaccurate. I will choose as an example alcohol a drug which is legal, now the legal age for drinking alcohol within the United States is 21 now recent studies show that 77% of adults within the U.S. do not drink alcohol at a hazardous level. Let me extend a bit further, 46% of adults do not drink at all and 31% drank but do not have more than five drinks on any occasion. That means only 23% of adults within the U.S. drink enough alcohol that can harm them or there surroundings.[1] What am I trying to prove by this? The evidence here proves that just because the government legalizes heroin, cocaine, weed etc. doesn't mean that the second the law is passed millions of adults will go and buy all these drugs. The belief that this will happen is absurd. You can find caffeine in the nearest Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, are all kids teenagers, adults addicted to caffeine which is as a well a drug? For example nicotine found in cigarettes, studies show that only 23% of adults smoke and 30% adolescents. This means 77% of adults do not smoke cigarettes yet is easily accessible in most if not all stores. And 70% of adolescents do not smoke as well.[2] Therefor I can conclude from this information that just because illegal drugs do become legal, doesn't mean all of us will become addicted to them which most people that are against drug legalization try to prove.

ECONOMY

Harvard Professor Jeffrey Miron a believer that all drugs should be legalized just like me did some research and shows evidence on how the United States government will save $41.3 billion dollars a year if drugs we're to become legal. This $41.3 billion dollars are spent yearly on government expenditure and on enforcement of prohibition. The evidence also estimates that drug legalization would yield tax revenue of $46.7 billion annually, assuming legal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco. Approximately $8.7 billion of this revenue would result from legalization of marijuana and $38.0 billion from legalization of other drugs. This would be billions of dollars saved, because of these savings $25.7 billions would accrue to state and local governments, while $15.6 billion would accrue to the federal government.[3] Billions of dollars are spent yearly on a war which is doing absolutely nothing because the usage of drugs is still very big and these illegal drugs can be found in most corners of our streets. The drugs are illegal which cause a dangerous environment not only for the sellers but for the consumers, because of drugs being illegal the drugs are low-quality and as well cause a more harmful affect. But also these illegal drugs are selling millions and the government is gaining no tax revenue from it. Which will be of a great benefit since we are in a major recession.

HYPOCRISY

I believe the hypocrisy which this government has been committing for years is sickening and needs to come to an end. I've always asked myself what is the difference between drinking you're drug or inhaling it or injecting it? A drugs is a drug not matter which way we put it. In fact it is even a bigger hypocrisy that people want to prove that illegal drugs have worst affects then the drugs that are legal. Alcohol alone takes the lives 75,000 americans,[4] as well nationally tobacco contributes to about one-quarter of heart disease and 490,000 premature deaths each year.[5] I would like for the opponent to tell me how many die from smoking weed? In fact here has been no case of deaths from weed in the U.S. what so ever this means less deaths then firearms, which is 29,000 less deaths then prescribed drugs which is 32,000. The safest drug which is weed is illegal, don't we feel stupid?[6] In fact the number of deaths to heroin in 2008 was 22,000 which is no where near the number of deaths from cigarettes.[7] Therefor I can conclude with this information that when the government wants to speak about keeping illegal drugs such as weed, heroin, cocaine illegal because of it's dangerous affects are strictly incorrect.

FREEDOM OF CHOICE

I will end with this contention I love a little word called freedom. In the name of freedom thousands of U.S. soldiers have died, millions of civilians killed, millions of family torn up, and hundreds of military bases in countries which do not belong to us have been assembled. In the name of freedom the United States have ripped away governments and in the name of freedom this government invades other countries when they please, but the sad truth is the United States commit all these actions in the name of freedom yet freedom has never existed within the United States. I have lived by this quote all my life the quote says "Healing starts with yourself." What do I mean by this, we want to assemble freedom in other countries why don't we assemble it here first? Why is it we need to be told what to inhale into our bodies, I am pretty sure when a person smokes they are aware of the consequences but still we should respect their decision because like a human they we're born free. I would like to extend that last statement, we were not born to be set "free" by the definition of a government rather we we're born free. There is nothing this government can give us which doesn't already belongs to us. We are all humans and should respect each others decision, I respect the decision when a soldier signs up for the army. Yet I believe that when a person does sign up to fight or "defend" this country like some people like to believe are ignorant and become terrorists and when these people sign up for the army or military etc. become soldiers which are fighting against freedom and the liberation of people all around the world. Yet I still respect the decision of all soldiers. Therefor I ask for this government to respect the choice we make and to not interfere. For it is not their business nor any other person for that matters business what I chose to smoke, drink or inject into my body. Respect my choices and let the natural consequences of my choices occur. For I shall respect you're freedom and decisions as well. Thanks and good luck to the opponent. I will remind the opponent that in his presentation in this round will be for contentions only.

[1] http://www.udetc.org......

[2] http://www.acde.org......

[3] http://www.businessinsider.com......

[4] http://www.msnbc.msn.com......

[5] http://oralcancerfoundation.org......

[6] http://www.selectsmart.com......

[7] http://en.wikipedia.org......

TheHost

Con

Although you are a great master of debate, and your points are eloquent and well thought-out, I seem to find a few issues.
Let's say we legalize drugs. As you say with a perfectly legal drug such as alcohol "23% of adults within the U.S. drink enough alcohol that can harm them or there surroundings." First, alcohol is nowhere near as addictive as heroin and crack, and second, let's say that all the drugs cap off at 23% use rate. Let's say that the same 23% is using these drugs (best case scenario for you) that is still one fourth of the united states being strung out about 100% of the time.

Now I can not deny that legal drugs are bad for you, but there is no evidence that with mass heroin use the death toll would not be higher than cigarettes or alcohol.

With your freedom of choice, you can't choose to do something that would bring harm to yourself. I understand it's the same thing with ciggs and drinking, but those should be illegal as well.
LiberationMedia

Pro

Thanks to the opponent for his response, although I was prepared for a much better rebuttal. Also the opponent didn't put forward any contentions, and his rebuttal was towards only a minimum part of my fully thought out contentions.

Yes It's true that alcohol is not a highly addictive as heroin, so wouldn't that mean that there would be more heroin users? This is incorrect because there are way more alcohol users then heroin rather then the other way around. Like I have stated before with valid evidence 23% of adults drink alcohol at a hazardous level, while a 2004 research shows that there is only a 1.3% users of heroin within the United States.[1] Now the opponent may believe that because of the Legalization of heroin or other drugs will increase the numbers of heroin, weed, cocaine etc. users but this is incorrect. Just like I have proved within my first contention "ADDICTION."

"That is still one fourth of the united states being strung out about 100% of the time."

The percentage of heroin users is 1.3% I highly doubt that number of heroin users with the actions of legalization will increase to a 23%. But even if it did there would be a vast amount of drugs users wether the drugs are illegal or not. For drugs are easily accessible, I can say this from personal experience. In my neighborhood you can buy weed as easy as you can buy gum. Therefor I can conclude that we should have the right to buy such drugs, without the persecution of the police etc. For this just increases the dangerous situations for the seller and buyer. Not only for the seller and buyer, but all of there surroundings. The best solution to this Drug War is to simply end it and legalize drugs.

"With your freedom of choice, you can't choose to do something that would bring harm to yourself."

I hate the usage of the word can't, the definition of freedom of choice is to have the liberty of doing as one wants without hindrance or restraint. Therefor yes with freedom of choice, I can do what I like even if it does harm oneself. So does this mean the usage of cars should be illegal as well? Car emissions kill 30,000 humans beings within the United States.[2] Does this mean the freedom of driving a car should be deprived from us because it harms oneself? This is impossible to believe, that because something harms oneself it should become illegal. If it was because of this mostly every single right would be deprived from us. Remember these words a person should be the ruler of his/her own life, he/she should shape his/her own future and not anyone else.

Since the opponent didn't rebut most of my contentions such as; "HYPOCRISY" and "ECONOMY" and he poorly rebutted my other two contentions, I believe all my contentions still stand firm.

I again thank the opponent for his rebuttals I hope his next rebuts are a bit stronger, good luck.

[1] http://www.alcohol-and-drug-guide.com...
[2] http://www.whatifpeace.com...
TheHost

Con

TheHost forfeited this round.
LiberationMedia

Pro

LiberationMedia forfeited this round.
TheHost

Con

TheHost forfeited this round.