cloppbeast
kels1123

Drug Legalization

cloppbeast

Pro

Drug use should not be illegal for several reasons:

1) A government should not have the authority to criminilize drug use. Drug use is a fundamental human right that should not be infringed, regardless of how devastating it is. Adults have the right, and prerogative, to decide for themselves what is put into their bodies.

2)Drug criminilization doesn't even achieve its intended goal, which is to minimize and deter drug use. If drugs were legal it would be much easier to minimize their use.

3)Drug criminilization creates criminals. A drug-user could be an ordinary law abiding productive citizen in the absence of drug laws, despite popular belief.

4)Drug criminalization wastes our tax dollars. Instead of protecting citizens from violent criminals, police officers are wasting their time, and our tax dollars, putting innocent drug users, who are only hurting themselves, in prison, thus overpopulating our prisons.
kels1123

Con

Drug Legalization should not be legal. If drugs become legal, it will not be considered against the law therfore law abiding citizens may decide to try drugs and get hooked on them. Drugs can cause a person to OD and die. They are dangerous and impair a person's judgements.
Also you say drug criminalization creates criminals. I don't think thats true , I think drug use leads to crime. I know drug addicts personally that have stolen things because they are so desperate to get their hands on money to feed their addiction. Then you have people that are high on drugs and then drive. This can lead to acidents and kill not only the person on drugs , but also innocent people.
What about all the young kids that committed suicide back in the 90s from heroine use. Drugs are dangerous and can kill people, making them easier to get will not help the drug problems in this country. The real answer is stricter punishment on people dealing drugs, more programs to help people come off drugs. I have family members who I have watched their lives slowly unravel due to drug use. It has affected my life because my father is a drug addict. He can be the nicest guy in the world but when that craving hits he no longer cares if he sees his children, he no longer cares if he steals from his child so that he has money to help his addiction.
Drug use is dangerous and as a society to make it legal would just cause so many more drug problems. Why are we going to help people that produce these drugs to profit off of ruining peoples lives, and they will suffer no legal consequences.Young people will be able to walk into a store and request drugs like they are candy. Also where will these stores that sell them be located? I don't want them in my neighborhood. My child outside playing with drug addicts all looking to score are hanging about these stores. Drugs destroy people's brains, impair their judgement and can kill them. Why would we make this legal.
Also you can bet the unemployment rate will then go up , hurting our economy. As more people get addicted to drugs they often can not work , lose their homes , and apply for gov't assistance. Did you know that in this country you can apply for SSI if you have a drug problem? So lets make it legal, get more people hooked and then give them more Govt aid from taxpayers pockets... If we make drugs legal , whats next????
cloppbeast

Pro

//law abiding citizens may decide to try drugs and get hooked on them. Drugs can cause a person to OD and die//

Since drugs are as bad as you are suggesting, why are laws even necessary to prevent drug use, considering everyone already knows drugs can ruin your life and cause addiction, brain damage, and even death? If the sideaffects of the drug, which include death, aren't enough to prevent a person from using them, the consequences of a prison sentance certainly won't either.

//Also you say drug criminalization creates criminals. I don't think thats true//

Unfortuneatly, It is true. When drugs are made illegal, drug users and dealers are unable to notify authorities, therefore in order to protect their property rights, they need to take matters into their own hands. Drug laws create anarchy within the drug community, similar to that of Alcohol Prohibition, which we all know was an utter failure.

//I know drug addicts personally that have stolen things because they are so desperate to get their hands on money to feed their addiction//

When a market made illegal, the cost of the the products in that market increase dramatically. A good example of this is Alcohol prohibition. Drugs, currently, are so expensive because they are illegal. If drugs were legal, users would not need to steal in order to support their addiction because the cost of drugs would be much more affordable.

//Then you have people that are high on drugs and then drive. This can lead to acidents and kill not only the person on drugs , but also innocent people.//

This argument is a non-siquitor and does not prove drugs should be illegal; it instead proves that users under the influence of drugs should not be driving. Using a cell phone while driving decreases concentration which can cause accidents. Does this mean that cell phones should be illegal?

//What about all the young kids that committed suicide back in the 90s from heroine use.//

I must point out that the drug laws imposed did not prevent these kids from using heroine, thus proving my point that drug laws do not achieve their intended purpose.

//The real answer is stricter punishment on people dealing drugs, more programs to help people come off drugs//

Stricter punishments for people dealing drugs will not prevent drug dealers from selling drugs. You must keep in mind that drug dealers are extremely poor and poverty stricken people who, no matter the cost, will do whatever it takes to earn enough money to provide for themselves, families, and their habits.

Your acknowledgement that the drug problem stems from drug dealers is accurate, and the best way to rid of them is a free-makret. In a free market, drug dealers would not exist, rather drugs would be sold in specified stores similar to cigarettes or alcohol.

I must admit, you are clearly right in your assessment that more programs to help people come off drugs would signifigantly help the drug problem. This clearly indicates that drug use is a medical problem, not a criminal problem.

//I have family members who I have watched their lives slowly unravel due to drug use. It has affected my life because my father is a drug addict.//

I completely understand how you could develope an emotional hatred of drug use because of a family situation, but that doesn't prove drugs should be illegal. You seem to be missing the fact that your father was doing drugs while they were illegal, proving that drug laws don't work.

//Drug use is dangerous and as a society to make it legal would just cause so many more drug problems.//

There is no evidence to support this statement.

//Why are we going to help people that produce these drugs to profit off of ruining peoples lives, and they will suffer no legal consequences.//

Nobody will be helping drug producers produce drugs, and nobody will be forcing people to use drugs either. The drug producers will not be ruining people's lives, the people using the drugs will be ruining their own lives, considering they had the choice to use drugs in the first place.

//Young people will be able to walk into a store and request drugs like they are candy//

I have not discussed what would be the legal age requirement to purchase these drugs, but there would certainly be one, which would actually make it harder for children to gain access to these formally illegal drugs. Studies prove that it is actually easier for high-schoolers to purchase illicit marijuana than alchol. http://www.narcononcenter.com...

//Also you can bet the unemployment rate will then go up , hurting our economy//

Again, you are using the assumption that drug use would sky-rocket in the absence of drug laws, which is not true. You have also provided no evidence to support this statement.
kels1123

Con

Cloppbeast , Just because drugs are bad , doesnt mean people are always smart enough to realize this ... ie .. Most people don't pick up drugs and say Im going to try this and then be an addict for life. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. NOONE tries their first drug saying I will become an addict.
To say oh well if people are ODing , they will do it anyway , so lets make it legal is crazy. Also to say more people wont turn to drugs if they are legal is absurd. Of course more people will. It will be easier for them to get , many people have a fear of breaking a law and going to jail ..so they may avoid drugs , but if they are legal , then hey why not give it a try. Making drugs legal would be a bad thing for our country , our youth and the victims of drug use. Also who do you think will profit off the sales?? Do you know who produces and distribute most illegal narcotics? Drug lords , terrorists , etc . Do you really want to let them profit legally off of us and all the people that get hooked on their dangerous products. WE need to increase punishment on drugs ... we need to fight harder on the drug war , not just say oh well. We are losing so lets just let them do it is not the right philosophy.
cloppbeast

Pro

//Cloppbeast , Just because drugs are bad , doesnt mean people are always smart enough to realize this//

Basically what you are suggesting is that people are sometimes stupid enough to do drugs, therefore the government needs to provide extra incentive for them. To start with, this arrangement doesn't work for reasons I already explained in the second round.. Secondly, considering the drug laws don't actually deter drug use, they are inhumane. Consider a crack-head who put in prison and while in prison he decides to turn his life around and quits crack. After he gets out of prison he rethinks his life and tries to get a job, but no one will hire him because he used to do crack. Devestated and alone he gives up on his new life and turns to his addiction again. Why would a just government do that to a person? Drug criminalization prevents drug-addicts from getting past the problems. People on drugs don't deserve to be put in prison, they just need help.

//Most people don't pick up drugs and say Im going to try this and then be an addict for life. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. NOONE tries their first drug saying I will become an addict.//

No one suggested people purposefully get addicted to drugs. They are usually manipulated by drug dealers who are seeking another client. Why would we put an innocent victim of manipulation into prison after they have already been prosecuted enough with their addiction?

//To say oh well if people are ODing , they will do it anyway , so lets make it legal is crazy.//

Drug laws ruin, rather than help lives. Drug laws waste taxpayers money. Drug laws create a black market which puts drug suppliers, users, and innocent bystanders in danger. Drug laws infringe upon our civil liberties. Drug laws overpopulate our prisons with non-violent criminals. Drug laws increase the cost of drugs, making it necessary for addicts to steal. Drug laws put inocent children at risk of being targetted by a drug dealer. Drug lords and terrorist proffit of the illegal drug market. Drugs would be much safer if legalized. Drug laws don't work anyway.

So, considering all these repercussions of drug laws, why do even have them if the don't even work?

//so they may avoid drugs , but if they are legal , then hey why not give it a try//

Why would you give them a try? You have already expressed many reason not to try drugs. They cause death, brain damage, and are extremely addictive. Every one knows how bad drugs are. Why do you still seem think drug laws are the reason people aren't using drugs?

//Do you know who produces and distribute most illegal narcotics? Drug lords , terrorists , etc . Do you really want to let them profit legally off of us and all the people that get hooked on their dangerous products.//

Terrorists and drug lords do distribute most ILLEGAL narcatics. Terrorists and drug lords tend to radiate towards illegal activity. But, in the presence of a free market, terrorists will not profit. Companies profit in a free market, not terrorists.

Thanks for the debate.
kels1123

Con

//Basically what you are suggesting is that people are sometimes stupid enough to do drugs, therefore the government needs to provide extra incentive for them. To start with, this arrangement doesn't work for reasons I already explained in the second round.. Secondly, considering the drug laws don't actually deter drug use, they are inhumane. Consider a crack-head who put in prison and while in prison he decides to turn his life around and quits crack. After he gets out of prison he rethinks his life and tries to get a job, but no one will hire him because he used to do crack. Devestated and alone he gives up on his new life and turns to his addiction again. Why would a just government do that to a person? Drug criminalization prevents drug-addicts from getting past the problems. People on drugs don't deserve to be put in prison, they just need help.//

At least in prison that drug addict is forced to stay clean. You say that a person would rather their loved one not go to jail , well as I have family members that are drug addicts , I can personally say no you dont want your loved one to go to jail , but you would rather them in jail then out on the streets .. and risking them being dead any day from a drug overdose. I have two cousins that lost their dads to drug overdoses .. Yes I believe they would rather their fathers in jail then dead. There are plenty of chances to get clean and get a new job... the person just has to be serious about staying clean , there are 12 step prgrams and job programs out there.

//No one suggested people purposefully get addicted to drugs. They are usually manipulated by drug dealers who are seeking another client. Why would we put an innocent victim of manipulation into prison after they have already been prosecuted enough with their addiction?//

How can you think that more people are not going to be at risk for addiction if drugs are legalized...they will only become even more accessable

//Drug laws ruin, rather than help lives. Drug laws waste taxpayers money. Drug laws create a black market which puts drug suppliers, users, and innocent bystanders in danger. Drug laws infringe upon our civil liberties. Drug laws overpopulate our prisons with non-violent criminals. Drug laws increase the cost of drugs, making it necessary for addicts to steal. Drug laws put inocent children at risk of being targetted by a drug dealer. Drug lords and terrorist proffit of the illegal drug market. Drugs would be much safer if legalized. Drug laws don't work anyway.

So, considering all these repercussions of drug laws, why do even have them if the don't even work?//

Then we need stronger drug laws and to stop drug production at the top , not to make it easier for the people who produce these dangerous narcotics to make money ... but make it harder ...We also need more drug education. Abolishing drug laws isnt the way to go , its the only thing somewhat stopping drug abuse,

//Why would you give them a try? You have already expressed many reason not to try drugs. They cause death, brain damage, and are extremely addictive. Every one knows how bad drugs are. Why do you still seem think drug laws are the reason people aren't using drugs?//

I wouldn't give them a try , and I know how harmful drugs can be , but unfortunately not all young people think about that stuff , college kids aren't thinking whats good for them or not , they are thinking oh look they are selling ecstacy at the store lets get some and have fun and oops one of them has their heart stop on the dance floor that night oh well ... drug laws wouldn't have worked anyway.

//Terrorists and drug lords do distribute most ILLEGAL narcatics. Terrorists and drug lords tend to radiate towards illegal activity. But, in the presence of a free market, terrorists will not profit. Companies profit in a free market, not terrorists.//

Why should anyone profit off of a product that can kill someone in one instant , from one time. You can OD whether its your first time or 50th time trying something... There is no way what so ever that any drug can be considered not dangerous except maybe pot. We have the FDA to test every cure and medical drug there is , but then we are going to legalize something we know can kill you .. will kill you one way or another eventually.

Thanks for the debate.

Any time :) Thank You as well :)
Posted by Chuckles 8 years ago
Chuckles
ArtC is right. Kels, you may not need to have drugs to be happy, but that's not to say they couldn't make you happier. The Holier-Than-Thou-ness in your comment overwhelms me.

smoke two blunts.
Posted by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
No thanks Artc , I don't need drugs to be happy. The maturity in your comment just overwhelms me.
Posted by artC 8 years ago
artC
I think kels should smoke a blunt.
Posted by cloppbeast 8 years ago
cloppbeast
*Yet despite being illegal, they are still being*
Posted by cloppbeast 8 years ago
cloppbeast
//Let's see, Valium, Lortab, Hydrocodone, Zanax, need I continue? All are LEGAL drugs which are abused by a LOT of people on a daily basis?//

Let's see, Heroine, Meth, Marijuana, Crack, Cocaine, Ecstacey, need I continute? These are ILLEGAL drugs which are abused by a LOT MORE people on a daily basis. Yet despite being legal, they are still being abused similarly to the LEGAL drugs in which you just mentioned.

I will continue proving you wrong after a bit... Right now I'm in a hurry.
Posted by tnf38118 8 years ago
tnf38118
Good debate but people get addicted to "legal drugs" every day. Let's say drugs are legalized. The legal age to purchase them would likely be 21. So your 21 year old son is cramming for college, trying to juggle that with work, his girlfriend, sports, whatever. Not much time for sleep. So he thinks, hey, I'm 21, I'll just run down to Walgreens and grab a little meth, it can't be that bad since it's legal. Then he grabs a little more. Then more. Then he's buying so much he can only afford it by stealing. Soon he progresses to burglary, then robbery.

In this scenario he would never have considered using it had it not been legal and readily available in the first place.

Any rational, thinking person would know this to be true. If meth were legalized, this or a similar similar scenario WOULD be played out time and time again.

Certainly, the illegality of drugs does not deter everyone from using them. The legalization of them however WILL only exasperate the problem.

Let's see, Valium, Lortab, Hydrocodone, Zanax, need I continue? All are LEGAL drugs which are abused by a LOT of people on a daily basis? And oh yeah, what was that once legal drug which is now illegal? Oh yeah, heroin. Used to treat Morphine addicts and childrens coughs before they discovered that when metabolized in the liver it turns into MORPHINE.

My vote - Con
Posted by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
The government has every right to stop people from using illegal drugs. Whats next stealing will be okay , or how about murder. Hey the government cant tell you what is right and wrong.. There is a reason drugs are illegal. They destroy lives and of course the numbers are just going to rise if drugs become legal. Why can't we enforce stricter laws about drugs entering this country? Just because we arent fixing the problem , does not mean we can not fix the problem. Drugs are illegal for a reason. They are extremely unsafe, bad for the community. Drugs severely alter someones state of mind. Drugs physically and mentally destroy a person. Suicide isnt legal so why should illegal narcotics become legal?
Posted by cloppbeast 8 years ago
cloppbeast
I have refuted it with logic presented in my second argument, and the amount of people using drugs right at the moment backs up my statement that drug laws do not work. I may also add that you in no way know that laws prevent drug use, or that stricter laws will either. In fact, you have not even provided a logical argument or evidence to back up your claim either. Simply saying ,"we need to have stricter laws about drugs entering this country" is not a valid point. Considering we can't even successfully restrict people from entering this country, it will be extremely difficult to restrict drugs entering the country. Also you said, " we need...stricter laws for those producing the drugs." How can we get more strict when illegal drugs are produced in other country's?

You have never addressed the fact that drug laws take away our civil liberties. The government can't say, "drugs are bad for YOU, so we aren't going to let you screw up YOUR life," to an adult. That person has the right to screw up his own life if he so pleases. If he wants risk his life to get addicted to meth, then he should be allowed to do that. He's not hurting anybody else. If he steals in order to afford the drug, then he should be put in jail for stealing. If he gives kids drugs, he should be put in jail for giving drugs to kids. If he can't take care of his kids because he's on drugs, then his kids should be taken from him.
Posted by kels1123 8 years ago
kels1123
cloppbeast , you have not refuted this point, you in no way know if it will help drug abuse to make them legal. How making some legal will help it cease to exist , is beyond me. Illegal drugs are not okay , we need to have stricter laws about drugs entering this country and stricter laws for those producing the drugs , not give the green light....
Posted by cloppbeast 8 years ago
cloppbeast
//its (drug laws) the only thing somewhat stopping drug abuse,//

I've refuted this argument several times so I'm confused to why you keep using it.
Vote Placed by Chuckles 8 years ago
Chuckles
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 8 years ago
brittwaller
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by PreacherFred 8 years ago
PreacherFred
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by padfo0t 8 years ago
padfo0t
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 8 years ago
RepublicanView333
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by Guardian27 8 years ago
Guardian27
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by artC 8 years ago
artC
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by longjonsilver 8 years ago
longjonsilver
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by dullurd 8 years ago
dullurd
cloppbeastkels1123Tied
Vote Placed by cane_dan 8 years ago
cane_dan
cloppbeastkels1123Tied