Kelisitaan
jo154676

Drug Legalization

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

Kelisitaan

Pro

Almost every drug should be legalized and regulated.
jo154676

Con

First of all most drugs are legal and regulated (controlled) and must be prescribed by a doctor. But I assume you are talking about recreational drugs, like marijuna, lsd, cocaine, etc. These drugs are classified into schedules I-V with I being the highest and are evaluated based on potential for abuse and whether it is used in accepted medical treatments.(1) Therefore something like marijuana which I enjoy partaking in should be illegal. It has a potential for abuse as 9% of users are addicted and over 30% have a marijuana use disorder. (2) This is the only recreational drug that has medical value outside of mushrooms which are allegedly able to help with cluster headaches but the research on that is being done now, so this is not yet an accepted medical treatment.

1. (https://en.wikipedia.org...)
2. (https://www.drugabuse.gov...)
Kelisitaan

Pro

Legality should not be based on whether or not a drug has medicinal value; instead, it should be based on whether making the drug legal has more benefits than making it illegal does. In other words, is it of better value to society to make marijuana, cocaine, etc. legal or to make them illegal?
jo154676

Con

"The economic model of crime suggests the likelihood of engaging in crime, especially property crime,
increases with the increased frequency of substance abuse or addiction (White & Gorman 2000),
probably due to the need for income to support illicit drug purchases." (1) This quote from an Australian journal explains why drugs are bad for society, it leads to more crime. People have to commit petty crimes like larceny in order to feed their addictions, so if you make addictive drugs legal, and people need to pay for them, they will do whatever they can even if it is illegal to get their fix. A study done showed that 18% of people who inject drugs had committed a property offense and 3% had committed a violent crime within the month before being interviewed. (2) Also if you make all drugs legal then you will have more polydrug users, a user that uses more than one hard drug, who have higher offender rates than normal drug addicts. (1) Also in the same article we can see that 88% of methamphetamine addicts are unemployed and have to borrow money from either the government or their friends and family, making them a burden of the state and their families. (1)

1. (http://proxy-edinboro.klnpa.org...)
2. (http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy-edinboro.klnpa.org...)
Kelisitaan

Pro

No one is claiming that drugs are not bad for society. That is not the claim. The claim is whether or not legalizing drugs benefits society more than making them illegal. In other words, drugs exist. Making drugs illegal does not make them not exist; it simply makes them go underground.

All of the "crime statistics" you cite are irrelevant because people will do drugs in both scenarios (illegal and legal). Instead, what you should be focusing on is whether or not having drugs be illegal is more beneficial to society than making them legal.

Making drugs legal has a couple of MAJOR benefits over making them illegal. #1 Instead of the mexican cartels etc. making the $, the US will be making all of the $ from drug sales. More money is ALWAYS a good thing. Furthermore, this $ made can be invested in education and rehabilitation of addicts.

#2 Making drugs legal also makes it safer for the addict; there won't be any impurities or bait and switches, e.g. thinking you are taking one drug but taking another one instead.

Since people will do drugs regardless of legality, EDUCATION is the key to preventing drug use, not whether or not substance is illegal.
jo154676

Con

The argument my opponent makes is simple, people will do it whether or not they are illegal so let's legalize them. First of all we need to prove that illegality reduces drug use, which I think is obvious when we look at Colorado, there are far more people who use it now than did before it was legal. So if we saw this happen with hard drugs, (cocaine, meth, heroin) then we would have more people that use them.

"Instead of Mexican Cartels making money the US will be making money"

Well yes, but should the United States sell assault weapons to gang members? That will stop them from buying those illegally from the cartels as well. No it is the responsibility of government to protect it's citizens, not sell them drugs that they know will cause serious negative effects, including brain damage and death.

"Making drugs legal makes it safer for the addict"

Ok but we shouldn't be giving drug addicts more drugs, that is damaging for them, we need to help them recover from their addictions and make them productive members of society again.

"Education is the key to preventing drug use"

There is plenty of education now on it, and that is clearly not working, I do not know how my opponent can claim that making the drugs legal will reduce use, I am waiting for evidence or reason for why that works.
Kelisitaan

Pro

"The argument my opponent makes is simple, people will do it whether or not they are illegal so let's legalize them. First of all we need to prove that illegality reduces drug use, which I think is obvious when we look at Colorado, there are far more people who use it now than did before it was legal. So if we saw this happen with hard drugs, (cocaine, meth, heroin) then we would have more people that use them."

Really? How do you know this is true of Colorado? Proof?

"Well yes, but should the United States sell assault weapons to gang members? That will stop them from buying those illegally from the cartels as well. No it is the responsibility of government to protect it's citizens, not sell them drugs that they know will cause serious negative effects, including brain damage and death."

Strawman argument. It is clear that selling drugs to drug users is NOT the same to selling assault weapons to gang members. A non-strawman argument would be that the US should legalize and sell guns legally...which, guess what, they do. Are the VAST majority of people going around killing people? No

"Ok but we shouldn't be giving drug addicts more drugs, that is damaging for them, we need to help them recover from their addictions and make them productive members of society again."

Obviously, but drug addicts are going to be getting more drugs regardless. Might as well make it safer for them to do so. It is obvious that education is key in preventing drug use, not illegalization. Which brings me to the final point...

""Education is the key to preventing drug use"

There is plenty of education now on it, and that is clearly not working, I do not know how my opponent can claim that making the drugs legal will reduce use, I am waiting for evidence or reason for why that works."

There may be "plenty" of education on it now, but it's not good education, nor is it sufficient education.

Furthermore,, the problem is, having drugs like marijuana being illegal makes drugs like meth look less harmful than they really are. If all drugs were legal except for meth, crack, and heroin, people might actually take legality seriously when considering whether or not to do a drug.

As it is now, if marijuana is illegal just like meth, and then some high school kid uses marijuana and goes oh that's really not that bad, the government mislead me etc., why wouldn't they think the government is misleading them with drugs such as meth as well?
jo154676

Con

Source for the Colorado point, which also points out that traffic fatalities involving marijuana increased by 44 percent in the first year of legalization, marijuana use increased by 5% after legalization, and the rate of marijuana use of 18-25 year olds increased by 5%.(1)

The difference between drugs and guns are that guns have a purpose besides murder, defense and sport, while recreational drugs have one purpose, recreation. This is not about the medical qualities of things like marijuana so aside from that what purpose do drugs serve? And the vast majority of drug users misuse the drugs and cause damage to themselves, and while this may not be their fault, we should try helping them not giving them more drugs to try.

"Might as well make it safer for them to do so. It is obvious that education is key in preventing drug use, not illegalization"

You have not made this obvious with any evidence so I am not going to accept that it is obvious. While making the drugs illegal does not fully stop users, it makes it illegal so that we can stop the people that are using it. If we make drugs legal, we will have no way to stop someone from taking them. If meth is legal how are we supposed to make a meth addict stop using?

"Furthermore,, the problem is, having drugs like marijuana being illegal makes drugs like meth look less harmful than they really are. If all drugs were legal except for meth, crack, and heroin, people might actually take legality seriously when considering whether or not to do a drug."

You change your argument completely here, as before you were advocating for those drugs to be legal. Also you do not realize how many other drugs there are out there that do worse things than even those 3 common drugs, PCP for example.

"As it is now, if marijuana is illegal just like meth, and then some high school kid uses marijuana and goes oh that's really not that bad, the government mislead me etc., why wouldn't they think the government is misleading them with drugs such as meth as well?"

I smoked a lot of pot in high school and I never thought this so I do not know where you got this idea from, people know how dangerous meth is and still do it anyways, and once they start it is very hard to stop them, but we need to stop them because drug addicts are rarely productive members of society.

In conclusion, I have established that under the current classifications the drugs that are illegal should be, (R1), and that people abuse drugs (R1), that drug legalization will lead to more crime (R2) that drug legalization will create more polydrug users, who commit more crimes than monodrug users, and that drug addicts are rarely productive members of society. (R2) I feel that this is enough evidence to state that most drugs should not be legal, as was the topic of this debate. Burden of proof was on pro and i do not feel that he has provided sufficent evidence to be determined the winner. Vote con.

1. (http://www.usnews.com...)