hoosty69
whiteflame

Drug Testing

whiteflame

hoosty69

Pro

"If I have to take a drug test to earn my pay, Shouldn't you have to take a drug test to collect your welfare check?"
I work in the Oil & Gas Industry in northern Alberta, Canada. Like all working Albertans part of the taxes we pay go to the federal government for welfare. Now I get there are different circumstances with regards to the single mother raising children on her own because her dead beat other half won't pay to the person staying home all day watching TV smoking pot. I say what's good for one is good for all. If you don't do drugs, would it be such big deal to prove it knowing there are so many people out there that have ruined it for the rest of us? I'm sure some will say "crime will increase if they can't get there fix". Why should I pay for that? Can't we have programs to prevent that rather than buying say 10 fighter jets at $100 million each? Anyway before I get carried away I'm for the testing.
Your thoughts?
whiteflame

Con

I am happy to accept the Con side in this debate, and grateful to hoosty69 for presenting the topic. It's an interesting one, and I think it warrants such a debate.

As this is the first round, and as Pro's first posting was short, I will keep this brief as well, giving a simple introduction to my arguments. They will be laid out in detail later with citations, but for now, this will suffice to make the debate even.

There are multiple reasons I find myself opposing this particular resolution, and I will take the position of arguing against all drug testing, though I most specifically have a problem with testing welfare recipients. I have four main points:

1) Drug testing is expensive. That expense actually outdistances the cost of paying out welfare for welfare recipients who are found to be on drugs, and in other instances, it's even less likely to produce cost benefits.

2) It amounts to suspicion-less search lacking probable cause, with the person who is being tested being forced to turn over something to prove their innocence rather than being presumed innocent. That presumption of innocence is very important to any nation's legal structure.

3) Drug tests are mainly used to detect things that stay in the system for a very long time and can be detected by the given method. I will assume urinalysis, which can't be used to detect many drugs at all, and since most don't persist long, will only be effective for a short period following usage.

4) These kinds of drug testings foster resentment. This is especially true of the workplace, where people feel that their privacy is violated. This negatively affects productivity, and leads to lawsuits, which, even if they fail, will still end up costing the company a tremendous amount of money.

I await my opponent's full arguments.
hoosty69

Pro

hoosty69 forfeited this round.
whiteflame

Con

Well, I would have sincerely liked to debate this. Sadly, it appears that The Instigator has failed to continue it into actual argumentation, and has forfeited this round. I still would wish for this to continue should Pro decide to post in the next round, but should he not, his forfeit means you should vote for me, though I do dearly wish that I had won a victory instead of being handed it.
hoosty69

Pro

hoosty69 forfeited this round.
whiteflame

Con

Well, I guess I'll just have to be disappointed. Vote for me, I guess.
Posted by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
@hoosty69: If you are asking only questions and want to educate yourself on this topic, then you should have posted it on forums instead of debate challenge.
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
Yeah, it's one I've actually wanted to discuss for a while now, an intriguing topic.
Posted by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
@whiteflame: I see you have decided to debate this issue as well. Nice. Best of luck.
Posted by hoosty69 3 years ago
hoosty69
This doesn't have to be just about welfare and as for whether its only Canadian, I think it could be opened up for any nation (ie. US, Canada, England) as they build their ideas from each other. I'm new to this, just tired of watching able working people getting away with welfare acceptance.
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
First, I have to ask, is this specific to welfare? And, beyond that, is this debate specific to Canada's welfare system, or are you arguing that all drug testing for welfare recipients anywhere is warranted?
Vote Placed by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
hoosty69whiteflameTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit