PurpleFace1995
bman7720

Drug addicts are just misunderstood people?

bman7720

PurpleFace1995

Pro

It's honestly unfair to say drug addicts should be in jail right away. There's a reason why they did drugs in the first place. Yes, it's their concious decision to choose to do drugs but then again they went through a lot. There's always a reason why. So do they deserve to be punished or they're just misunderstood and give them a chance?
bman7720

Con

I accept to argue against the resolution and prove that drug addicts are in fact not misunderstood people.

I will start by contradicting my opponent's points. My opponent states that drug addicts "went through a lot." While I accept that this is the normal trend, it is not a very strong point. Addiction can overtake a person in any state of their life, regardless of their past. Simply because someone "went through a lot" does not automatically excuse them from every offense they commit. Addiction, specifically drug addiction, can drive a person to commit crimes to get their drug, or against those who try to help them. Is that justified just because they "went through a lot?"

Now, I will present my argument. Drug addiction is not something that should be taken likely. Addiction is a disease that changes a person's mind and body. An addict is almost unrecognizable from their sober state. The addiction causes that person to rely on the substance, and cross countless lines to achieve it. This is most often caused by the neurotransmitter dopamine. The "high" increases the amounts of dopamine, and eventually the brain develops more dopamine receptors. Consequently, the normal amounts of dopamine are not enough to keep a person functioning so they become reliant on the drug [1].

The most effective way to treat an addiction is voluntary rehabilitation. Recovery cannot be forced upon a person, they must admit to their problem and wish to change it. This is said in the commonly used 12-Step program [2]. Recovery will not work if the person is pampered, this associates the memory of addiction with being pampered. Recovery must be ruthless and merciless. The most crucial aspect of recovery is detox. This is the state in which the boy is adjusting to not being with the substance [3]. Often, it takes imprisonment for an addict to realize the gravity of their situation. Often, a judge will offer a deal that the addict can get time off their sentence if they complete a rehabilitation program.

[1] http://www.drugabuse.gov...
[2] http://www.12step.org...
[3] http://www.recovery.org...
PurpleFace1995

Pro

PurpleFace1995 forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

I will not argue this round as to allow my opponent to have a fair side.
PurpleFace1995

Pro

PurpleFace1995 forfeited this round.
bman7720

Con

I would like to point out that Pro failed to support any claims as well as disprove my own.
Posted by bman7720 1 year ago
bman7720
That's precisely why rehabilitation exists, because addiction can be helped. But we cannot force the recovery.
Posted by rayhaan779 1 year ago
rayhaan779
Con has made good points and I agree with him. It is in the same way to say "a rapist or a murderer should not be punished and you should find out what was wrong with them and why they did it." this is all false and regarded and stupidity. In society laws are put in place to fully regard and keep society in order. If these laws are broken (for whatever reason) then the guilty party should be punished. It is the core foundation that society rests on and if we didn't have then there would be complete ciaos. So I stand by Con's point of view however I do believe drug addicts (no matter what their reason) are sometimes misunderstood people who need help which as a society, should be given to them.
Posted by bman7720 1 year ago
bman7720
Huh?
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
on the path of being predictable, a demon is riding a bicycle
Vote Placed by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
PurpleFace1995bman7720Tied