pmaloney46
BlackHawkWentworth

Drugs should be legalized in the United States

pmaloney46

Pro

I saw on your profile that we disagree on this issue, so I figured I would put out the challenge.

Rules: Let's argue the actual issue. No semantics please. That's pretty much it.

Since I am challenging you, I will give you the option of presenting you argument first, or you may defer to the second round.

Best of luck.
BlackHawkWentworth

Con

Thank you for offering this debate. I accept! I'll admit, I'm not too well informed on the issue, and it is not one of my "death hill" issues, but I'm always up for a good debate.

First, normally in the United States, the burden of proof falls on the person seeking to forbid something, not the person attempting to legalize it. I would argue however, that in this debate, that rule does not hold for the reason that government is meant to defend the common good and drugs have been shown to have a negative effect on the common good. (I recognize that marijuana might be able to be excepted from this claim, but it is not merely marijuana use my opponent is defending, but all drug use.) Therefore, since the government can limit personal freedom when it has a pressing and necessary reason to limit personal freedom, the government can legitimately keep drugs illegal.

I would also argue that natural law, that since hard drugs necessarily cause human beings to violate their own teleological ends by causing them to lose their reason, these drugs are morally indefensible.

I will expand on these arguments in my response to my opponent's rebuttal.

Again, thank you for this debate, and I anticipate your response.
pmaloney46

Pro

"... government is meant to defend the common good and drugs have been shown to have a negative effect on the common good. (I recognize that marijuana might be able to be excepted from this claim, but it is not merely marijuana use my opponent is defending, but all drug use.) Therefore, since the government can limit personal freedom when it has a pressing and necessary reason to limit personal freedom, the government can legitimately keep drugs illegal."

If the government is meant to defend the common good, then why have they allowed other drugs, such as alcohol and tobacco to be legalized, given that the use of each can result in societal and/or health problems. Since these substances are legal, even though it may not be in the best interest of the common good, I believe we must throw out your point about the government having a responsibility to defend the common good.

There are also many practical reasons for legalizing drugs. The war on drugs cost about $51 billion annually [1], and is the primary reason why the U.S. has the highest incarceration numbers in the world. Legalizing drugs could effectively end the war on drugs, put dangerous cartels out of business, and taxation could bring in an estimated $46.7 billion in annual revenue, rather than the $51 billion annual expense we currently have [1].

source:
http://www.drugpolicy.org...
BlackHawkWentworth

Con

BlackHawkWentworth forfeited this round.
pmaloney46

Pro

pmaloney46 forfeited this round.
BlackHawkWentworth

Con

pmaloney46

Pro

pmaloney46 forfeited this round.
BlackHawkWentworth

Con