IDontKnowHowToCallMyself
Normerican

Dubstep Music is real music

Started: 1/7/2016 Category: Music

IDontKnowHowToCallMyself

Pro

I see a lot of people saying how dubstep music is not real music.
I see how someone could and would believe that but i do not agree with them or the statement that dubstep music is not real music.
I want to debate about dubstep music being real music.
I as a (Pro) will be claiming that dubstep music is indeed real music and my opponent (Con) will be claiming otherwise ( that Dubstep music is not real music ).
First round is only acceptance.
Voters are not obligated to leave a comment but if they want to leave them they are allowed to.
Normerican

Con

I believe that dubstep is not "real" music, therefore I accepted your debate.
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself

Pro

I believe that dubstep is real music and through this debate I will try to prove that.
Definition of dubstep from Wikipedia: Dubstep /G2;dA2;bstɛp/ is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South London, England. It emerged in the late 1990s as a development within a lineage of related styles such as 2-step garage, broken beat,drum and bass, jungle, dub and reggae.[2] In the UK the origins of the genre can be traced back to the growth of the Jamaican sound system party scene in the early 1980s.[2][3] The music generally features syncopate drum and percussion patterns with bass lines that contain prominent sub bass frequencies.

Definition of dubstep from dictionary.com: a style of mostly instrumental electronic music, originating in London, influenced by dub and characterized by syncopated rhythm and an emphasis on bass and drum elements.

Okay now we will look at the definition of real.

Definition of real from dictionary.com: true; not merely ostensible, nominal, or apparent

Definition of real from Webster's dictionary: not artificial, fraudulent, or illusory : genuine ; also : being precisely what the name implies

Now we have to understand how to prove something is real, I do not want to go too philosophical so I will try to keep it as easy to understand as possible. How do we show that dubstep music is real or that anything is real at all. The easiest and also the best and most logical answer is to feel it and sense it. We can feel dubstep and we can also sense it (by our hearing mostly). Now that we got the "REAL" part of the debate it is time to go to the "MUSIC" part of the debate.

We will now see the definition of music.

Definition of music from dictionary.com: an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

Definition of music from the Webster's dictionary: the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
and

vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony.

If we look at dubstep we can see that dubstep has all elements that are needed for it to be music and all of the definitions fit with dubstep or to rephrase that better, dubstep fits with all definitions.

We now know that dubstep is both REAL and MUSIC.

Final conclusion: Dubstep music is real music ( it even says it in the name, dubstep MUSIC but either way I showed that it is both real and music).

My sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
Normerican

Con

My opponent claims his argument that Dubstep is real music by using definitions on what music is, and what dubstep and real means. My opponent then went on to set standards or criteria for which a musical component must meet certain requirements to be considered real music. Then went on to say Dubstep has these components, but did not explain why they did, simply stating that they did.

Going by my opponents criteria and standards, I will explain why Dubstep does not meet these standards, and thus is invalid to claim to be real music. According to my opponent's definition: Music must express ideas and emotions in significant forms as sound.

Dubstep may use vocals, instrumentals and rhythms and melodies, but does it express any sort of idea. The short answer is no. Let me ask my opponent: Does dubstep generally, express any sort of idea or emotion that would be of any influence to anyone? Do the messages in the typical hard hitting bass, and choppy vocals provide any mark? Is it not easily observable to say that no message is conveyed through the majority of the genre?"

My opponent may respond with a description on how a specific song in the genre affected him, or what it helped him with, thus conveying emotion. Although this is being deconstructive to the author's intent. Rather than conveying an interpretation of what the musician may be producing, the reader uses the melodies to apply it to himself on his interpretation. This makes interpretation of a message that a song conveys both subjective and objective; which is a contradiction.

Dubstep, for the most part, typically doesn't have an author's intent other than to produce for either money, to make people happy, or for something the fans can enjoy, but this is not the same as conveying a strong message. Like several other genres, usually use lyrics to discuss how the MUSICIAN went through a break-up or a loss of a family member.

The musician thus has an emotion or intent expressed through this music, not the listeners interpretation. Thus, I challenge my opponent to find five examples of where the artist of a dubstep song, conveyed a message or idea. If he cannot, his argument is invalid and thus there should be no more reason to debate.
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself

Pro

IDontKnowHowToCallMyself forfeited this round.
Normerican

Con

My argument stands.
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself

Pro

Normerican

Con

Argument stands.

Vote for PRO!
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself

Pro

Normerican

Con

Argument stands.

Vote for PRO!

Do I win yet?
Posted by IDontKnowHowToCallMyself 1 year ago
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself
To JacobGmbH
I also have a very harsh and negative opinion of it too and i also agree that it is its own category of music.
It does not need to be good music to be real music. Now while i do agree with you on our opinion of it and i do think it is real music there is one thing you said in your comment that i do not agree with. You said "Music should be with notes on staves, not a bunch of samples in a music editor." and i have to say i disagree with that. Most of dubstep music is in my opinion very bad ( there is some some dubstep that is not that bad tho still most of it is still very very bad and even the one that is not very bad is mostly still bad, at least to some extent) but i do not believe that all music that does not have notes on staves is bad. Yes a lot of it is but also a lot of it is not. Maybe some people might not like it but i like a lot of music that does not fit under the normal music category and a lot of it does not have notes on staves and a lot of it is made in some kind of music editor where they sample things.
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself
To Exeron
While i do agree that debates can be opinion based i still think that is not a problem. We can all have an opinion but some opinions make more sense than others and we can debate about them to see who has a better opinion and through that process we change the world small step followed by another small step but at least we are going somewhere and that somewhere is a better future. Better future in which people have better and more logical opinions, a future where people truly live a better life.
So yes some people might think i am going to far with this but my question to them would be "Why not? ", I mean why should we stop progressing if we can, people should go deeper into things, people should answer as much questions as possible, people should strive to be wiser and smarter, people should become better, people should question things, but not only question them but also answer them and even if we do not get an answer, we have at least striven to get it and we got closer to it.
Now some people might ask themselves "What does this have to do with dubstep?" and my answer is "Everything". Now i know we are not landing on a moon but we are still changing the world, we are discovering an answer to a question. Now the answer to that question might not be e=mc2 but it will still be an answer non the less and even if we do not get a conclusion or should i say an answer to our question, we have at least striven for it and got closer to answering it.
Posted by JacobGmbH 1 year ago
JacobGmbH
I hate dubstep. However, I have to say it is its own category of music. It is not a very good one though. Music should be with notes on staves, not a bunch of samples in a music editor. However, music is a bunch of sounds collaborating. Dubstep does follow rules in music, even though the people who write them probably know nothing about the rules of music. They most likely just mix sounds until it sounds right, when if they knew music they could do it right the first time. Dubstep is music, but it is awful music. Music like dubstep is not music you will ever catch me listening to. Maybe some dubstep "songs" have a good rhythm, but that rhythm should not have been wasted in dubstep. It should be done on a staff, with a clef, time signature, key signature, articulation, dynamics, and all of that stuff.
Posted by Exeron 1 year ago
Exeron
These debates honestly seem pointless, because of how opinion based they are. What I mean by that is, there's really no concrete answer on whether or not dubstep is actual music, it all depends on someone's interpretation.
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself
I said that in that case, I meant that in this case. Also when i say case i mean issue pretty much. I do not agree with you on this issue or i do not agree with you on this.
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself
I said whoever, I meant however.
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself
I said whoever, I meant however.
IDontKnowHowToCallMyself
Well I can say that in that case I do not agree with you but whoever as i said I can still understand your position on the issue.
Posted by Arfmeow 1 year ago
Arfmeow
This is something that's very relevant to me. I'm the most qualified person on this planet to debate this on the side of cons. I've made videos in the past, and spent many years arguing that's not music. However as I have just started on debate.org less than a quarter hour ago and realize this debate will be incredibly fruitless producing no real result, I've decided not to participate.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
IDontKnowHowToCallMyselfNormericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited three rounds, therefore conduct to Con. However, only Pro cited sources, therefore sources point goes to Pro.
Vote Placed by Hayd 1 year ago
Hayd
IDontKnowHowToCallMyselfNormericanTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro ff multiple rounds.