devin.cooper64
MikeAwesome13

Dubstep is Music

Started: 9/17/2013 Category: Music

devin.cooper64

Pro

In late 2010 dubstep artist "Skrillex" dropped the single "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" which quickly launched dubstep and even the EDM community into the mainstream. This is return sparked high numbers of debates over dubstep, questioning if these electronically produced sounds could be considered "Music"

Of course the question must be asked "What is dubstep" dubstep in short is a genre of EDM (Electronic Dance Music) that follows 140 BPM in a song, starts with a build up, and then a "drop" in most cases as shown below:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIr5Eamemv8

My argument is that dubstep is indeed music, con will be saying that dubstep is not music, the first round (this one) is acceptance and opening statements, from that point we will present and counter any arguments we wish to, and the final round is closing statements.

I await a response and a debate :p
MikeAwesome13

Con

Best of luck.
devin.cooper64

Pro

My first argument will be as goes, the definition of "music" by Merriam Webster is as goes
"vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion." So lets look at all three of these

1. Dubstep has many vocal tracks over the music, this also implements the pitch, and the fact that most melodies cover the basics of the music theory including harmony, pitch, and structure.

2. It is quite obvious that "dubstep" or any EDM genre can easily express emotions, as shown below
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFNrVFt3DjER06;

3. Now this will be my main argument, dubstep is in fact produced on an instrument. The computer, now of course many people will not see a computer as an instrument, though I must ask you, how do you view a computer? You probably see it as a gaming platform, someone else sees it as a platform to do business on, and some see it as access to cat pictures.

What exactly do these three examples have in common? Context.
The legitimacy of a computer being an instrument is the context, if one sees a computer as an instrument then it is an instrument. Its the same with a trumpet lets say, the context makes it an instrument, one sees it as an instrument when another can see it as just a bunch of metal.

These are a few arguments, I await opponent.
MikeAwesome13

Con

As my opponent clearly states, music is "vocal or instrumental sounds combined in a such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion".

My opponent referenced the Skrillex single "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites". Although through the track, a melodic pattern can be heard, it is composed of electronic tone, and can hardly be considered instrumental. The word "instrumental", as defined by Webster's Dictionary, means: "serving as an instrument or means in pursuing an aim or policy".

These electronic tones are produced on a computer, much like the one I am using to type this entry, and you are using to read this. To be very clear, the definition of a musical instrument is simply "an object or device for producing musical sounds." Now, while looking on a scientific level, anything object you are using to complete an action, or ease the process of an action is defined as an "instrument". However, on a musical standpoint, an "instrument" is an object who's specific purpose is music making.

The computer, according to SEED (Schlumberger Excellence in Education Development), was created to "compute" complex mathematical equations accurately. So, by the intended purposes of the computer, it is a mathematical instrument.
Now, the computer has expanded its purpose past simply mathematical calculations, but its intended purpose did, and does not include the creation of musical sounds, or preforming the function of a musical instrument. Therefore, by definition, the Computer is not, in fact, an instrument, and therefore any sounds produced from a computer in any arrangement or tonality cannot be described as music, by definition. The tones produced by a computer may, however, be defined as a beat. Since the electronic tones of a computer have not been produced by a melodic instrument, it cannot be described as "music", such as if you were to listen to a percussionist preform a lengthy drum solo. This is not music, it is a beat.

In summary, if the Computer is not a musical instrument, then Dubstep is not music. It is a beat.

I await my opponent's response.
devin.cooper64

Pro

devin.cooper64 forfeited this round.
MikeAwesome13

Con

MikeAwesome13 forfeited this round.
devin.cooper64

Pro

I apologize for not submitting my argument, I was in utah packing up our old house and had no internet access.

Anyways, the reference to Scary Monsters was simply background info for those who needed a refresher on what dubstep was, and was not in anyway part of my main argument. Con also stated what the purpose of the computer was by SEED's standards, which was to computer mathematical equations.

Although that may be true it is quite obvious that is no longer the computers purpose, a computer now and days is used in business, gaming, production, and much much more, saying the computer is limited to its original purpose counters Con's earlier statements, from which he stated its being used to type and read these arguments.

Con also provides no sources for his definitions, for he only used one source to define "instrumental" because of this we cannot consider con's arguments as authentic.

Now I would like to move on to the production of music itself, production of Dubstep follows the basic music theory, this includes notes, chord progression, scaling, melodies and so on as shows in Varien's tutorials on EDM production and analysis of Datsik's bassline production.[1][2]

That being said its quite obvious that dubstep easily fits into more than one category of the official definition by Merriam Webster was "vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.[3]

[1]http://http://community.edmdistrict.com...-(Almost)-Everything-Music
[2] http://blog.dubspot.com...
[3] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
MikeAwesome13

Con

MikeAwesome13 forfeited this round.
devin.cooper64

Pro

For my closing statements, dubstep by dictionary definition is music. If you go beyond that and consider the context of instruments, a computer counts as one, and therefore dubstep is by definition. Music.
MikeAwesome13

Con

MikeAwesome13 forfeited this round.
Posted by JimmyRusltler 3 years ago
JimmyRusltler
Ok using logic here. If dubstep isnt music, then why do i find it under the music catagory everywhere??
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
@voters: Remember that who you agree with, is not the same as who presented stronger arguments. (posting this is case of people who either love or hate Dubstep).
Posted by officialniaaa 3 years ago
officialniaaa
Con is right. Dubstep is more like a hearing test.
Posted by devin.cooper64 3 years ago
devin.cooper64
I was saving that for opening argument ._.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
The only argument con can take is a complete appeal to semantics, why is this even a debate?
Posted by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
I'll accept this if you can define music.